• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid 6.5 Grendel Question

nick338

Commander- of what I have no idea
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
Wanting a really light and handy 6.5 Grendel bolt rifle. I have an AR Grendel being built now and want to know what options I have to make this work. Really not interested in the Howa mini chassis because I would like to do it on a Manners or similar lightweight stock.

Also looking to use a Proof barrel and is there an option to run the same mags for the AR as on an action for the bolt rifle?

This is going to be a factory ammo only setup so I'm not worried about mag length restrictions.

As this is going to be a very light setup for hunting, I'm not interested in .224 or 243 calibers or a semi-auto platform,

Could always try to build an origin with a PPC Bolt Face. Then you could use the proof barrel and manners stock.

Reactions: nick338
Thanks I may have to look at that but was looking for more of a custom build with 20-22" barrel.

I like the AR mag compatibility though..

Indeed, AR pattern mags are easier to deal with the Grendel case size. I set up a Ruger Predator in a Magpul Hunter stock and the AI pattern mags are aggravating (need to try one of MDT's 6BR mags).

The mag/bottom metal solution is going to be the biggest hurtle to overcome....

Indeed, AR pattern mags are easier to deal with the Grendel case size. I set up a Ruger Predator in a Magpul Hunter stock and the AI pattern mags are aggravating (need to try one of MDT's 6BR mags).

The mag/bottom metal solution is going to be the biggest hurtle to overcome....

Figured that would be the biggest obstacle. If the MDT mags work well than the Origin is an attractive option.

LRI will fit manners stocks to the howa mini. They have a post about their process in the gunsmithing section.

LRI will fit manners stocks to the howa mini. They have a post about their process in the gunsmithing section.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Looks very interesting.

Bringing this back because I'm still interested in making this work. Does anyone know what the max barrel tenon would be to work on a CZ527 action? I would install it in a Bell and Carlson and use a Bartlein/Proof carbon fiber barrel if they will work.

The way the factory barrel is set up on the CZs it shoulders on an internal collar. The barrel OD is 25mm and is a close slip inside the front of the receiver but doesn't shoulder at all on the front of the receiver.

You can set them up to shoulder on the receiver face, though. That's what I did on my 6mm ARC. Max OD is around 1.13". A Proof Tikka blank should probably work.

The way the factory barrel is set up on the CZs it shoulders on an internal collar. The barrel OD is 25mm and is a close slip inside the front of the receiver but doesn't shoulder at all on the front of the receiver.

You can set them up to shoulder on the receiver face, though. That's what I did on my 6mm ARC. Max OD is around 1.13". A Proof Tikka blank should probably work.

Thanks. I keep going back and forth between the Grendel and the ARC but I already have the Grendel on an AR and a lot of Lapua brass. Plus for dual purpose hunting/target rifle I like the larger 6.5 diameter bullet.

Bringing this back because I'm still interested in making this work. Does anyone know what the max barrel tenon would be to work on a CZ527 action? I would install it in a Bell and Carlson and use a Bartlein/Proof carbon fiber barrel if they will work.

The Ruger American Predator 6.5 Grendel has the 22" barrel, weighs 6.6lb, and uses the AR style magazine. When available, it tends to list around $400-$500.

Reactions: reubenski
I got exceedingly close to becoming a custom snob once, when we built the SH Ghost Dancer 260 Rifles, our site's first project gun. I don't know how many of the four are still in existence, but I know of one for sure. It's a Plain Jane 10FP 260 from 2001, with sponsor supplied SSS Trigger, Ken Farrel 20MOA Base, McMillan A3 Tactical stock, and mine later got upgraded with McM factory Pillar Bedding and a 28", 1:8" Lothar-Walther stainless barrel with the Savage Varmint taper.

So I get the compulsion; I just stopped while I was ahead. I love the rifle, it shoots very nicely, and probably has another 1500-2000rd left on the bore. It's in my will.

Since then, I make do with factory or factory based (all Savage) rifles, and have lurched off down the AR Path.

Greg