• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

stupid ? about high dollar custom 308 actions

corey4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
pittsburgh pa
so what makes the high dollar actions (just the action only) worth over $1500? what do they do differently than a stock remington 308 action?

this is in response to a thread in the 'for sale' section specifically for surgeon actions.

currently i have a 308 5R/mcree/tbac 30p-1/vortex razor setup.

Last edited:
Consider that once you have a Remmy action completely blueprinted, it will cost within spitting distance of one of the custom actions.

What you get is more accurate machining, smoother operation, longer nose for heavy barrels, built in recoil lug, and many times a better finish.
Many times you can order them tight but smooth for benchrest, or loose for <real> tactical activities.
For single feed benchrest, you can avoid the hold in the bottom of the Remmy, making for a stiffer action.
Its all about what you want....

At the 308 level the Remmy is just fine, at the 338LM level I, personally, feel much more comfortable with a stouter action.

so what does blue printing the action/bolt actually do? what is the process? i have heard of it, but never really looked into it. on a side note, i don't roll my own. just cram 168 FGMM down it's throat.

i'm an honset .5-.75MOA shooter at 100 and 200yds. i don't have the time to practice as much as i want/should/need to be half decent at 300. at 300, i'm an honest 1MOA, maybe a touch over 1 MOA.

You are paying for a small business who is staking their reputation on the line to build a high quality part to tighter tolerances/specifications from the beginning with features designed into the part...

Verses...

An action made to a price point and speed to make it profitable to investors. While that is not necessarily a bad thing except when corners are cut to turn out more numbers and tolerances and/or specifications are relaxed for the same.

If like Remington you end up with warped actions, bolts with handle placement where little to no primary extraction occurs, bolt lugs that bare little on their corresponding recess, recoil lugs that are visually canted and chambers that have visible flaws slipping through quality control in numbers... and do we need to mention triggers that are so badly assembled and inspected that mass recalls need to occur...

This, written by a Remington action lover who recently bought a Stiller action and placed the completed firearm into the hands of another Remington lover’s hands who ran the bolt, discharged the firearm, ran the bolt again and stated “WOW what a difference” with an lust filled smile...

There is nothing wrong with remington actions, there are top companies building fantastic firearms with them. As stated already when you get custom action such as a surgeon or defiance deviant for instance you are getting a 20 MOA rail as well as precision lug with action and side bolt release. Best part its intergral to the action. You already have a tactical style knob, and bolt fluting. If you add up the cost of a remington action, then the truing of that action, side bolt release, rail, tac knob and install of that knob you are in the same cost arena as a custom. These custom actions are not mass produced such as a company like remington so there is definetly better quality inspections of the finished product. In the end its the users budget and not only that but your acceptable accuracy expectations from that firearm. Most important is setting your expectations with that price point, and vice versa. Basically if you only want to spend 500 bucks on a rifle then do not think you are going to take it out the next day with a barska scope on it and shoot 1K consistently. But if you only want to spend 500 bucks on a rifle that is going to be used in the woods to harvest whitetails at 50-100yds then that rifle may byfar exceed your expectations. Be sure to check out that video BoxCar posted, it should clear up any questions you have about action truing on the 700. Great video and very informative. Best of luck brother.

small business vs mass produce product. also better QA control on the custom.
if remington is small business like others, they will sell their action in $1k range too.
consider remmy sell millions R700 and contract with DoD. for example $100 profit*1million vs something like custom that make $600 profit from that $1500 action * few thousands, the mass produce still make more profit than the small business. high end custom, customer has to pay additional cost due to small market. at certain point you are not paying the quality anymore but small market. its like Ferrari cost 50x more than regular sport car but you dont get 50x performance/gadget.

imagine how much smartphone would cost if there are only 10 thousands coustomer. probably in the millions

so if i am just an average shooter skill wise (if that), then would a high end action be worth the money? would it magically shrink groups from .75MOA to .25MOA?

is it more like racing where a team will spend the extra $10K on race goodies to gain that extra .1 second a lap, where some douche bag like me can't take the equipment to it's highest level.

While it may not make you a better shooter, it will allow you to advance in skill level and not be hindered by your equipment. If you can afford the better equipment, go with it.

To me, the action is a component in the overall build. It in itself may not make you a sub half moa shooter, but I have several factory rifles that shoot pretty well, in the .75 moa area, occasionally spitting out a sub half moa group. Sometimes you have to wonder when you shoot the bigger groups how much role you played in the bigger group. I have one full on custom build based on a Defiance action, and Bartlein barrel. If you shoot a group with that that's approaching 1/2 moa, or over half moa, it was your fault. No question. Hands down the most accurate rifle I've ever held. A custom can help you advance your skills, but then again so can having a smith just fit a custom barrel on a factory action, bedding, and floating it. The action may add a little more accuracy to that. Question is, is it worth the money? To me it was, just to have a rifle that was "perfect" and I never had to question if I hurt its performance by not using top shelf components.

I have one custom M700 with everything done to it including PTG bolt and one Surgeon XL. They both shoot about the same, typically less than half MOA. Needless to say I like the Surgeon better in every way.

I bought my M700 used. If I were starting a new build I'd buy a custom action without a second thought.

They allow you to piss away money and brag to your buddies.

They allow you to piss away money and brag to your buddies.

And....so? What is your point?

Some have more than one car, or motorcycle, or a walk-in cigar humidor, or a wine cellar, or four mistresses that are less than 25 years old..............oh I get it...

Last edited: