• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid Rem 700 accuracy question

JFranco

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2012
Ok so here is the deal. I have a Rem 700 AAC SD (20 inch 1/10 rifling) that I have had accuracy problems since day 1. The stock it came with was such a piece of crap that it was making the problem worse. I changed the stock to a Bell and Carlson and it improved greatly, and by that I mean from 3 MOA with the best round to 1.25 to 1.5 MOA. Today I FINALLY got my Surefire Suppressor and got 2 wonderful surprises. #1 the point of impact did not change, AT ALL. I was very impressed. #2 and the one that has left me scratching my head, I got .75 MOA accuracy with Subsonics.

Both rounds were loaded with 175 gr BTHP Sierra, Hornady Match and same primers. The only difference was the use of 41.5 gr IMR 4064 for the Supersonics and 10gr Trailboss for the subsonics. Both @2.800 OAL to the tip (dont have the ogive measurement on hand) and SLIGHT Factory crimp. BTW both were confirmed with a LeadSled after my initial findings.

Has anyone had the same situation? Are these results normal?

Chances are your follow through is better with the can, as well as the decrease in recoil/flinch is making you pay more attention to fundamentals.

You are probably just on different nodes. Chances are that there is another accuracy node near you super sonic load that is more accurate.

I initially had a problem with accuracy in my factory barrel as well. The thing that made the most difference is loading long. Chances are (and you need to check before trying this) your chamber is very long. I can load 175 smk's out as long as possible without touching the lands. If you do this, you will either need to single load or change the bottom metal and use alpha type 2 mags, but you can try it without any changes just by single loading.

Also...do away with the crimp. It is absolutely not necessary for 308 bolt guns.

--Daniel

Thanks for the replies. I will measure the chamber and try reloading longer. I will also pay more attention to my fundamentals. I will keep you updated! Thanks again guys!

I'm also slightly concerned about the crimp, but more from inexperience than anything. I don't think many guys do this here and it may be completely unnecessary and introducing another variable into your load development.

I've had two factory 700's and both shot to 1/2 MOA w/ my handloads after I started getting the hang of things.

I had the exact same thing, with the exact same rifle, only I was using Federal Match 168-grain ammo. The issue turned out to be twofold: first, the recoil lug needed to be bedded, which was a pretty simple process. More importantly, the Hogue stock had a free-floating issue: it wasn't. Had to relieve the stock some in order to be able to get a piece of typing paper all the way to the lug between the barrel and stock, PLUS a little more to account for pressure from a bipod. Once the clearance was there and the lug was bedded properly, the accuracy with the match ammo went from 2.5 MOA at 100 to a little under .75 MOA. I figure if I was reloading for it, I'd have been below .5MOA at that point. Just some suggestions -- good luck!