• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Stupid thing to do when bad guys show up

askir

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2009
Texas
A few months ago our family was having dinner, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a guy run accross my front yard and run between the two houses accross the street...a few seconds later a patro car zoomed by and passed the house.
I told my wife to call 911 and I got my gun, while telling the family to retreat to the back room of the house.
I called the two neighbors across the street and the guy came out to join his two compadres walking down our street.
So now we have 3 bad guys walking on our street, my wife comes out with the kids and grandpa..both my neighbors are out with shotguns and I with a pistol...

Needless to say trying to tell my wife to go back in the house and my dad sitting there frozen..all 5 of us offering sitting targets to 3 gang members who had stolen a car and parked it in my neighbors driveway in order to elude the cops.

The say the guns and the number of people outside and opted to move on leaving the car there.

1 hour later the police showed up, by which time bad guy#1 had come back and taken the car again...

I am seriously considering having some formal instruction given to me and my family on how to handle this better...it is now ver obvious that PD is too busy to help us out all the time.

I would have much rather had my family go to the back of the house and release our 4 German Shepherds, while I call the ambulance...and the cops to pick up the pieces.
For now the plan is that..no more going out in front and being stupid sitting targets.

Re: Stupid thing to do when bad guys show up

I would say don't go outside at all if you don't need to, definitely good on your part getting your family to safety, keep as many walls/objects between them and the threat as possible. After that, get on the phone with 911 and relay what you are seeing through the window or wherever you are, so they can relay that to their officers, any help the officers can get is great. But I would do that by giving the operator the address of where the perps are, what they look like, what they are doing, where they are going etc etc. Unless of course they stepped in my back yard, then it's time to order some scum to the ground.

the only reason I say don't go outside is because even with how much you want to do the right thing and help, when/if the cops show up, they don't know you from Adam, and all they see is a guy standing in a front yard with a gun in his hand after they were just in a car chase...we all know where this can lead.

During Ike (we are in Houston) The cops came to our street, they met 8 rifle armed neighbors, the officers gave us boxes of MRE's, water and ice and said to us...guess we don't have to worry about this street getting hit, Thank God I live in Texas.

Dang, thats what I'm talking about! Thats how it should be. Sounds like a neighborhood I want to live in, I just love the mountains too much to leave here though.

Yup..I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could....
grin.gif

When my neighborhood was hit by a Tornado, missed me by one street, our local Police and State Troopers showed up in droves. I, being a State Trooper and being off duty, jumped on my 4x4 ATV and started checking houses for people. The streets were impassable via vehicle. I started picking up people that couldn't get to their loved ones, due to downed trees, and carried them home. I shuttled people around for a long time. We even used the winch on the ATV to pull open doors. The Police and State Troopers set up at all entrances of the neighborhood not allowing you admission without an ID showing your address to be in that particular neighborhood. I felt safe at night even without power for several days. We all took great care of each other and there were plenty of people walking around with weapons and LEO could care less. It was beautiful to see.

To the original point, being LEO for many years and having this situation happen to me, it is much easier if you just make the call and let us know where they are. If you are outside I have to try to figure out who the good guy is and who the bad guy is, and we are not allowed to profile.
wink.gif
I also have to make sure you are safe while I am trying to deal with bad guys. I have had the info relayed to me and went right to bad guys and went back to good guy later and thanked them for their help. While I wouldn't agree with the way it was handled I would not be mad as a LEO, because when things start to happen around my house there is a good chance I will be out there off duty and armed. Being curios is part of human natural even worse for women. They will get in the middle of the worst shit just to see what is going on. Doing the right thing is part of human nature for good people so what happened was not wrong, just unsafe, and you recognized that, so you will handle it differently next time. Lets hope there is no next time.

Mike

That was just it we did call, to let them know the guys they were chasing in the neighborhood were still there, one hour later they showed up to take the report, in the mean time we had one of those guys looking in my neighbors window and trying to figure out where to hide...this is a nice neighborhood, we have never had anything like this happen before or since....sometimes you can only wait so long...I think accidentally letting my Shepherds out will take care of the issue...at least the pups will have a new chew toy..at least for an hour
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teppo Ka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like lesson learned</div></div>

Agreed.

Is your life worth someones insured car? I don't think so. I don't see a problem with standing your ground at your door so they know it will be bad news if they try an escape route through your property or house. I am with other call 911, get cover of some kind, and clear shooting lane, know your backstop, be prepared to use a firearm or don't have one, have an escape route, have good flashlights 100 lumen min, and last but not least a good camcorder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teppo Ka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like lesson learned </div></div>

+1...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your life worth someones insured car? I don't think so. I don't see a problem with standing your ground at your door so they know it will be bad news if they try an escape route through your property or house. I am with other call 911, get cover of some kind, and clear shooting lane, know your backstop, be prepared to use a firearm or don't have one, have an escape route, have good flashlights 100 lumen min, and last but not least a good camcorder.</div></div>

Good point. However, "There is another form of evil which we must fear most, the indifference of good men."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and last but not least a good camcorder. </div></div>

Good idea, I never thought of that! Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: denverCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your life worth someones insured car? I don't think so. I don't see a problem with standing your ground at your door so they know it will be bad news if they try an escape route through your property or house. I am with other call 911, get cover of some kind, and clear shooting lane, know your backstop, be prepared to use a firearm or don't have one, have an escape route, have good flashlights 100 lumen min, and last but not least a good camcorder.</div></div>

Good point. However, "There is another form of evil which we must fear most, the indifference of good men." </div></div>

So now we're going to qoute Boondock Saints?

I will re-state We did call 911...might as well have called Roto Rooter..it took them one hour to get there, funny since their patrol car had just zoomed by...some problem with dispatch I suppose, nevetheless We did call 911, we did retreat after arguing with uncooperating family....

That is why I say LET MY SHEPHERDS OUT and then call an Ambulance, if they take the same time as the Police took problem solved dudes will be all hamburger by then...

I'll be in the house watching for the flashing lights to roll up...or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phantasm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: denverCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your life worth someones insured car? I don't think so. I don't see a problem with standing your ground at your door so they know it will be bad news if they try an escape route through your property or house. I am with other call 911, get cover of some kind, and clear shooting lane, know your backstop, be prepared to use a firearm or don't have one, have an escape route, have good flashlights 100 lumen min, and last but not least a good camcorder.</div></div>

Good point. However, "There is another form of evil which we must fear most, the indifference of good men." </div></div>

So now we're going to qoute Boondock Saints? </div></div>

Is this one better?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

Sounds like the family needs some training.

Also, it would seem to be a good idea to have more than one family member armed.

This happened over 10 years ago.

One day I was messing around in my Garage when my son started saying dad come and look at this. I tried to brush him off but he was insistant. I walk out to see a Highway Patrol has a U-Haul stopped with is weapon out and pointed at some guy. I was like Oh Shit I mad my son and daughter hide behind truck with me. I look over the truck and half the neighborhood is out watching this. The bad guy was standing on the side walk and down range of him in the line of sight of the officer was a yard full of people standing there watching not 10 feet from the bad guy. There was no way the officer would have been able to fire on the guy without hitting one of the dummies in the yard.
Pretty soon the Brand inspector comes flying up and stops and makes some gal walk out into the street and laydown and more cops show up. Right at the time this gal lays down my duaghters friend comes riding around the corner on her bike and when she hit my driveway her bike tire pops. It sounds like a rifle shot going off. You could see everyone in the neighborhood almost shit including me. At this moment I decided it was time for all of us to go in the house.

Come to find out this guy had murdered someone in Colorado. so he and his wife decided to stop and see her mother which happened to live a couple of doors down. The Highway Patrol had told to be on the look out for a U-Hual and the cop had spotted him and followed him until they stopped.

yup those pops can freak the shit out of someone who's been there...not too long ago I went to the range and took a buddy with me to trade places in the pit, he is an activesoldier and has recently seen some serious combat.
So shooting at paper was relaxing for him.
While in the pit he heard the crack of rounds overhead and he hit the dirt faster than you could sneeze...he looked around and started laughing..Ohh yeah I'm home..sorry... WE laughed with him and then bought him all the beer he wanted...

He is back there again hearing those pops overhead, I pray he comes home soon so that we can have a few beers together and put holes in paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phantasm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: denverCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your life worth someones insured car? I don't think so. I don't see a problem with standing your ground at your door so they know it will be bad news if they try an escape route through your property or house. I am with other call 911, get cover of some kind, and clear shooting lane, know your backstop, be prepared to use a firearm or don't have one, have an escape route, have good flashlights 100 lumen min, and last but not least a good camcorder.</div></div>

So now we're going to qoute Boondock Saints?</div></div>

Yeah I just did....Unfortunately no bonus points are awarded for knowing the movie.

Amen brother....for bad guys to see the neighborhood come out ready, or even at least one, sends a message. I appreciate the LEO view that they have to sort out good from bad, but if they don't get there...guess what...I'm not waiting for them to put a toe tag on me.

Long time ago when I lived in alabama, excaped convicts ran through my yard to lake behind. You can bet I was out there with shotgun, police came through, briefly verified I was homeowner and moved on. I'm pretty sure a guy who is chased is not standing by a front door with a gun calling out to the police.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRYFOX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm pretty sure a guy who is chased is not standing by a front door with a gun calling out to the police. </div></div>

If I don't know you and I pull up with lights on...your not gonna like me if you are yelling at me with a gun in your hand! At that point I don't know if you have held and tied the family up and are setting me up to kill me. It is possible and my job is to go home at the end of shift. Now with that said I wouldn't violate your rights to protect yourself but when we pull up please put the gun down if nothing more than for and instance just to show us I mean you no harm. If your helping God knows we need all we can get but please don't put you or your family at risk for no reason. Hope this doesn't come across wrong but one of the scenarios we run for NB's is set up just like this and as the woman is screaming he went that away she shoots the officer from behind. Trust us we want all the help we can get but we don't want you hurt or injured by us for no reason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and last but not least a good camcorder. </div></div>

Good idea, I never thought of that! Thanks! </div></div>

If you don't have a camcorder but do have a digital camera check to see if it has a video mode. Both mine do. I doubt if the police will object to some stills or video of the bg's. Should just make their case better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris112</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and last but not least a good camcorder. </div></div>

Good idea, I never thought of that! Thanks! </div></div>

If you don't have a camcorder but do have a digital camera check to see if it has a video mode. Both mine do. I doubt if the police will object to some stills or video of the bg's. Should just make their case better. </div></div>

Took the words out of my mouth. Gather evidence, intelligence, take pics, stay safe without putting yourself directly in harms way.

As far as whether an insured car is worth dying for, well, I guess it depends on the car
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: denverCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your life worth someones insured car? I don't think so. I don't see a problem with standing your ground at your door so they know it will be bad news if they try an escape route through your property or house. I am with other call 911, get cover of some kind, and clear shooting lane, know your backstop, be prepared to use a firearm or don't have one, have an escape route, have good flashlights 100 lumen min, and last but not least a good camcorder.</div></div>

Yeah, Boondock Saints quote right there. Not sure if Troy Duffy heard it from someone else but it's definitely there.