• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sturdy Safe?

dduck44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2010
Annapolis, MD
I've seached this topic and am leaning towards a Sturdy Safe. Does anyone here have one that would like to give me their opinion?

I do not have one, but will shortly. I am certainly voting with my money. My father has one and after doing much research and visiting their shop, I am sold. I believe Sturdy represent a very good value. I think you get what you pay for, or possibly more, with Sturdy.

What did you decide to buy?

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk 4

I have one and would buy another, the most steel for the least price. No one is getting in with a crowbar or fire axe and the ceramic insulation is the real deal, not sheetrock.
When you call them a human answers and with a few minutes on hold you can talk to the owner.

Last edited:
I have been impressed with the Study Safes I have examined. Good thick metal and simple bulletproof lockwork. With that said I'm a bit underwhelmed by the fire lining. I'm sure the insulation is better than nothing but I'd think other companies would be using the same insulation if it was truly superior. You can't tell me that Ft Knox or AMSEC et al wouldn't be using ceramic liner if it truly was better than sheetrock or other materials.

I talked to a safe dealer on the east coast a few months ago. We talked about various safe makers and fire liners. The dealer told me that Ft Knox (maybe it was Pro Steel) used ceramic liner in the 1980's. They used this type of liner until testing showed that sheetrock worked better.

The only place that sheetrock is used for heat insulation is the gunsafe industry ( at least that I am aware of and I might be mistaken ) ; stainless foil and ceramic seems to work well with turgochargers that operate between 1500 and 1600 degrees F.

I have seen the information on Sturdy's website and have to admit the fire claims are impressive. But I'm still skeptical. They have done no outside testing that I'm aware of any have only one example of a safe that's been in a genuine house fire.

I know there's currently no set standard for fire testing and Sturdy could very well be using the best thing available but until they publish some numbers or someone does a burn test with a Sturdy next to a Liberty or whatever it is just unsubstantiated claims.

I am very pleased with my Sturdy safe, it truly is the thickest steel for the least amount of money. It is contstructed very well with tight tolerances around the door. I didn't get too wrapped up with fire lining since my biggest threat is a theft. I order mine without the fire lining. I live in a new construction home, less than a mile away from the fire department, the safe is located along an exterior wall, my alarm monitoring includes hard wired and wireless smoke detectors, and I don't have anything in that safe that isn't replaceable. I also carry an extra insurance policy to cover all of my firearms which covers them anywhere I take them.

If I ever move somewhere that causes me to be more concerned with protecting my firearms, I will wrap the safe in a few layers of drywall and get the door installation; for now, I like having the extra room.

Sturdy does sell the fire lining as a kit if you ever decide you need it. The kit is complete with the 14g liner, pop rivets and new interior. All you need is a drill motor.