• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sturdy tripod for a range spotting scope

Onewolf42

Peon
Minuteman
I recently bought a Razor HD 20-60 85mm spotting scope and I need to get a tripod for it. I want something sturdy and I'm not too concerned about the weight because it will only be used on the rifle range and will only need to be carried short distances. So, something sturdy and not too expensive. Suggestions?

Thanks.

Expense is a tough question.... how much do you want to pay. Optics Planet has a good selection of tripods for spotting scopes. When I bought my VIPER, I looked at the tripods, and I wanted a ball type mount or a pistol grip mount, I got the VANGUARD ALTA+263AGH. It looked expensive at first then a saw what that MANFROTTO...(sp).... one cost, and I was very happy. Take a look at OPTICS PLANET.

Ok I took a few photos of my tripod I got in the mail yesterday. It is really well made and they are I think 140$. All metal made. No junk here..look how high and low it can go. Hope this helps.. Slug-O

Slug-O,

Thanks for taking the time to take/post photos. I was wondering how tall is the tripod (without ball head) without the center column extended? Is it really 55.1" as specified by Slik?

Thanks again.

BTW, I went ahead and ordered a Manfrotto MVH500AH fluid head. I'm still not sure which tripod I will order, but I would like one that is around 56" tall with the center column completely retracted.

Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

and be done with it.
@Chiller, I've not handled a Manfrotto 055XPROB so perhaps you can tell me what makes it better than the Slik that PRS sells. I have no problem paying a higher price for something if what I'm purchasing is truly worth the extra expense. I've been using the Slik large tripod with my Surgeon AX and haven't had any issues to speak of.

Slug-O,

Thanks for taking the time to take/post photos. I was wondering how tall is the tripod (without ball head) without the center column extended? Is it really 55.1" as specified by Slik?

Thanks again.

BTW, I went ahead and ordered a Manfrotto MVH500AH fluid head. I'm still not sure which tripod I will order, but I would like one that is around 56" tall with the center column completely retracted.

It looks like about 53" with the legs out... That's at the base of the mount.. Not the eye piece of my
Scope..

I bought one of these Zeiss (Manfrotto) carbon fiber full size tripods with fluid head.
It is light and strong, and will go as high as you need plus the fluid head is just phenomenal.
You can put just the right tension on to hold it in place but still be adjustable, and no hysteresis (overshoot).
I've used it with a number of full size spotters including the Razor 20-60x85 and the Zeiss Diascope 85 I currently use.
Zeiss Manfrotto Carbon Tripod with Fluid Head On Sale!

I upgraded from the Slik large to a manfrotto carbon fiber. the slik just can't handle ANY wind at all and drove me crazy.

My Razor sits on a Vortex Summit with fluid head, I'm 6'3 and it's plenty tall enough, a carbon fiber Manfrotto maybe in my future.

With an angled spotter mounted I don't even extend the center mast on my Manfrotto, and I'm 6' tall.
In fact, I have to collapse the legs 6". It's very sturdy.
The downside of this tripod is the minimum height, limited by the center mast, is 24".
I like the fluid head so much I bought a 2nd and adapted it to a tiny Giottos tripod with cast aluminum legs for shooting bench use.
Giottos QU 405B U.pod Mini Compact Tabletop Tripod QU405B B&H
It handles the Zeiss Diascope 85 with ease.

Here you go.

2m486xc.jpg

28mguh5.jpg

6xwx84.jpg

vhc877.jpg

I defy you to do that with a Slik

Zeiss 85 on Manfrotto CF plus fluid head.
There's another 6" of height left in the legs, and the center mast is quite beefy, in case it's ever required.

Attachments

• P1020037.jpg
    P1020037.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 28
  • P1020038.jpg
    P1020038.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I am certainly inspired by the interest in tripod shooting as indicated by post such as this. This means folks are getting off the ground and out from behind the bench and seizing the opportunity to put rounds down range where they want to instead of where the support and or field of view allow. All the tripods listed in this post have their advantages and disadvantages and some are better suited for mission specific criteria. Precision Rifle Solutions utilizes the models of SLIK tripods based on their versatility, durability, lightweight, compact size and a reasonable price. These tripods have held up very well all over the world in the hands of some customers that are rather abusive to their kit. I believe some of the discussion on tripods is lost in brand loyalty and not in the application. Or justification for the amount of money they have spent on said tripod set up. I have offered to sell our kit at a higher price if it makes folks feel better. After almost 16 years in the Marine Corps and over 13 years now as a cop I know what it is like to have to buy the gear I need to do my job. There are some tripods that better represent a jack stand for the pickup and others that would not make a decent tomato stake, so making an educated decision is important. That is benefit of having a site such as Sniper's Hide, information is shared and opinions voiced. With that let's consider the application. Size matters, and if I am having to ruck all my gear into location whether Elk camp or the mountains of far away lands or on the competition range I'm going to use a tripod that accomplishes the mission without added weight and fluff. The "Large and Medium" as we call the SLIK models 611-849 and 611-806 respectively do this. I have tested the large with a 45# plate weight on top of a "large" at is full height with no failure of design or material. As an alternative to the field application of the "Large" and "Medium" we do offer the SLIK DX700 leg assembly and coupling it with the AF1100 E grip head you get a tripod more than capable for those days on the range or when you don't have to tote it very far. We call this tripod assembly our "HD" offering. The DX700 leg assembly and the AF1100 E grip head with our SSP-2 cradle in Muticam is what the US Army is supplying to their sniper teams. The added benefit of the AF1100 E is that it works really well in the place of the ball head on the "Large" and "Medium" tripods affording you a compact package with all the benefits of running a larger tripod set up. The ability of the tripod to hold a rifle in place is not a function of the tripod but a matter of the type of rest attached to the tripod. This is a subject for another post concerning locking your rifle into your support or allowing your rifle to recoil independent of the rest. The clamping rest does allow you to take pictures of your unattended rifle at obtuse angles though. Give yourself the advantage to utilize your rifle in that many more situations by getting a tripod and practice shooting off it. Tripods are not the answer to all things shooting but they do make a great tool to have in your shooting tool box. Please do not hesitate to call or email if I can help with any tripod questions.

Apples to apples, the above pics of the manfroto and the prs large tripod is not valid. The prs lrg silk tripod is man portable, and the manfroto isn't. It's a backpacking tool not a range tool. I have a prs hd silk tripod and it is every bit as beefy as that manfroto pics above. It's a range tool. I have shot next to peeps w the manfroto, and both are about the same beefiness, but let me say when you are trying to quickly move from standing to kneeling to sitting and so forth back and forth and back and forth, the silk prs hd wins by a mile. I flip 1 lever and the leg is adjustable. Manfroto you have to turn several times to adjust a leg. And just try adjusting to kneeling or sitting w gun clamped on...hehe, won't work so you also have to unclamp gun set it down then you can change positions. Prs hd pick gun up set it on ground...adjust...set gun back in saddle...
Both are range tools, not backpack tools so let's talk about the proper application of these in an apples to apples way.

I just can't see the need to put my spotter in funky positions straight up works for me just fine

I'm not trying to make this a prs commercial you can read other threads and they speak volumes ...just don't like to see incorrect info being posted

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong but the Slik the Manfrotto are about the same price for comparable models. Both seem to have similar weight and load capacity.
At that point doesn't it come down to which looks better to the individual?
The part that makes a huge difference is what kind of grip or mount you put on it to move the scope around for tracking.
Otherwise they can both accept the same accessories.

Apples to apples, the above pics of the manfroto and the prs large tripod is not valid. The prs lrg silk tripod is man portable, and the manfroto isn't. It's a backpacking tool not a range tool. I have a prs hd silk tripod and it is every bit as beefy as that manfroto pics above. It's a range tool. I have shot next to peeps w the manfroto, and both are about the same beefiness, but let me say when you are trying to quickly move from standing to kneeling to sitting and so forth back and forth and back and forth, the silk prs hd wins by a mile. I flip 1 lever and the leg is adjustable. Manfroto you have to turn several times to adjust a leg. And just try adjusting to kneeling or sitting w gun clamped on...hehe, won't work so you also have to unclamp gun set it down then you can change positions. Prs hd pick gun up set it on ground...adjust...set gun back in saddle...
Both are range tools, not backpack tools so let's talk about the proper application of these in an apples to apples way.

I just can't see the need to put my spotter in funky positions straight up works for me just fine

I'm not trying to make this a prs commercial you can read other threads and they speak volumes ...just don't like to see incorrect info being posted

Not man portable? Are you high... I have that same set up as chiller in carbon fiber and the whole thing with hog saddle weighs 6 pounds...

Not a fanboy, but owning both Slik and Manfrotto products, I'd have to say there's no comparison, Manfrotto hands down. Don't get me wrong, I've bought a lot of stuff from PRS, but they just don't compare to the quality of the Manfrotto. I've also used the Manfrotto on the job as a CSI. It is rock solid when shooting panoramics at crime scenes using the special pano head. The ability of the Manfrotto to extend the center mast out sideways for prone use is also a huge plus. The heads for the Manfrotto can cost as much as much as the PRS large HD. I've never used a carbon fiber tripod, but I can say that with the standard tripods, with stability comes weight. It's straight up physics. That said, it really comes down to what you need. A chevy and a porsche will get you from point A to point B, just depends on what feature you want along for the ride. Here's what I use:

Attachments

• IMG_1316 - 2013-11-15 at 19-59-26.jpg
    IMG_1316 - 2013-11-15 at 19-59-26.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0031 - 2014-01-31 at 18-18-18.jpg
    DSC_0031 - 2014-01-31 at 18-18-18.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
B&H Photo has the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 Carbon Fiber Tripod on sale for $299 so I went ahead and ordered one. Hopefully this tripod and the Manfrotto MVH500AH fluid head I already received will provide a stable platform for my spotting scope.

Thanks for all the advice/recommendations.

B&H Photo has the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 Carbon Fiber Tripod on sale for $299 so I went ahead and ordered one. Hopefully this tripod and the Manfrotto MVH500AH fluid head I already received will provide a stable platform for my spotting scope.

Thanks for all the advice/recommendations.

You can also find great prices on Amazon or Ebay.
I got the 55xprob for under $150 shipped from Amazon.
Also, just something to think about. Aluminum can dent and still work. If you are doing competition and you slam a carbon fiber tripod against something it could chip and crack.
Probably will never happen though.

Since this spotting scope tripod will be used exclusively for range work I decided the much better stiffness and damping provided by the carbon fiber legs would be worth the extra $ over the aluminum.

Since this spotting scope tripod will be used exclusively for range work I decided the much better stiffness and damping provided by the carbon fiber legs would be worth the extra $ over the aluminum.

no question. Purpose matters and you have clearly thought it through.