• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sub $300 for 10/22 Build

bonifacio

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2017
Recommendations on a sub $300 10/22 build?

Look at: Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16X44 FFP and Blackhound Genesis 4-14×44 FFP MOA

Just for plinking and maybe a little hunting.
Usually daytime shooting.
Under 100 yards.
MOA, Exposed Turrets, 30mm tube.

I have the Diamondback you mentioned on my CZ 457. It’s pretty good for the price. In retrospect, I wish I hadn’t gotten the FFP. The reticle becomes unusably fine as soon as you start dialing down the power. To my eye at least.

OptimaHatsan Optima 3-9x32 Airgun Scope w/ Rings 1 in Black Aluminum

Optima
Walmart # 565691847
$24.00$24.00
Was $40.00
I am guessing that it comes with free huba bubba bubble gum from the 1980's

OptimaHatsan Optima 3-9x32 Airgun Scope w/ Rings 1 in Black Aluminum

Optima
Walmart # 565691847
$24.00$24.00
Was $40.00
I am guessing that it comes with free huba bubba bubble gum from the 1980's
$300 SCOPE budget

Reactions: acudaowner
I have that DB tac 4-16 and like it so far but I haven’t had it very long. Got to do a shoot a couple weeks ago out to 250 and it worked great. I typically don’t shoot within 100yds so the reticle size at low power is less of an issue for me.

I've used the hell out of my Diamondback Tactical 4-16 on everything from .22's to 6.5's, for your applications it's a pretty solid choice since it pretty much makes the lack of zero stop or revolution indicators a moot point. It is not a low light hunting scope though, as soon as the light starts to get dim I've found it hard to pick up the reticle in brush. I have the mrad version and for me the reticle is pretty usable down to 10X, under that it's becoming more of a duplex, just like most other FFP optics out there.

For the TS-12X? Cheapest I see is $397 on backorder at europtic/scopelist.

I have had two of these for over a decade. They work, and they are cheap, cheap, cheap. Grab them now, they are discontinued, but still available from Amazon.

Greg

I have the Diamondback you mentioned on my CZ 457. It’s pretty good for the price. In retrospect, I wish I hadn’t gotten the FFP. The reticle becomes unusably fine as soon as you start dialing down the power. To my eye at least.

I disagree. My 4-14 is my go to (read: only) hunting .22lr scope, and it flexes into my only .22lr scope when I want to go fuck around at 400. It doesn't have all the fetures id like to have, but for the price it does everything I need it to and gets the job done. If I had a higher budget for that build I'd have a pst 2 3-15. I dont, but the dbtac works just fine. It won't score you any gucci points but it works.

Edit: get a 30moa rail. You will want it if you ever want to stretch the guns legs, and with it it removes the biggest issue (kinda), the lack of zero stop. With a 30moa rail you can't get down to the zero below true zero... if that makes sense. Ie you're zeroed out, you go down to 4 mills or what have you, and never get to a false zero. When bottomed out you have to only go up to get to zero

I disagree. My 4-14 is my go to (read: only) hunting .22lr scope, and it flexes into my only .22lr scope when I want to go fuck around at 400. It doesn't have all the fetures id like to have, but for the price it does everything I need it to and gets the job done. If I had a higher budget for that build I'd have a pst 2 3-15. I dont, but the dbtac works just fine. It won't score you any gucci points but it works.

Edit: get a 30moa rail. You will want it if you ever want to stretch the guns legs, and with it it removes the biggest issue (kinda), the lack of zero stop. With a 30moa rail you can't get down to the zero below true zero... if that makes sense. Ie you're zeroed out, you go down to 4 mills or what have you, and never get to a false zero. When bottomed out you have to only go up to get to zero

Doesn't sound like you're disagreeing with me. Doesn't even sound like you read my post. I'm trying to offer OP specific feedback on one of the scopes he's considering (I find the Vortex FFP reticle hard to see on lower power settings particularly in low light). You're just saying "It's my only scope and I like it."

If you don’t use the variable side of things very much, which on a .22 is a real possibility. Have a look at some of SWFA’s fixed offerings. They also sell used/samples on samplelist.com. Decent bargains can be had on there.

I got one of the nitros in 2.5-10x44 ffp for a 10/22 build and so far I like it a lot. The only negative is that the reticle is very hard to see at the lower end, but other than that I’m very happy.

So I've been researching and checking out all of the recommendations. Just stuck. So many options. Wish there was a way to check them all out in person. Was leaning at the USOptics Tx12 then saw the Vector Veyron was the same thing for 1/3 of the price. Back to the DB Tactical. Then into Leupolds, Athlon. Find all those program sites like expertvoice, guidefitter, dvor, govx. Tract Response maybe? A lot of stuff just out of stock anyway. Decisions decisions.

Last edited: