• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sub $450 optic?

kentuckyMarksman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
So it's black Friday. A family member just asked me for help picking out a scope for her husband. Her budget is $350. I can up that budget to $450, as I know $350 won't go far (I realize that $450 doesn't go far either). The husband has been wanting a FFP 5-25 or 6-24 range. I typically don't follow optics in that budget, hence why I'm asking. Athlon Argos BTR 6-24, and PST Gen 1 6-24 are both in that range. Any others to consider?

Reactions: 338dude
Optics section and search function, similar questions have been asked a bunch

I've had a couple Argos I would definitely recommend them for the price point how ever I had them on my 300 RUM at one point and it managed to wreck 2 of them. They would no longer focus. so be careful with heavier recoiling rifles, I had it on a 243 and 22 creed and that never caused any issue.

Reactions: JLP83
So it's black Friday. A family member just asked me for help picking out a scope for her husband. Her budget is $350. I can up that budget to $450, as I know $350 won't go far (I realize that $450 doesn't go far either). The husband has been wanting a FFP 5-25 or 6-24 range. I typically don't follow optics in that budget, hence why I'm asking. Athlon Argos BTR 6-24, and PST Gen 1 6-24 are both in that range. Any others to consider?
Arken!

Vortex Venom FFP 5-25X56 $419 at Amazon
Arken EP 5-25X56 $449 at Amazon. If you go to Arken, you can get on the mailing list and then get a discount code that lets you get a package of goodies for free. That package is a range bag, ring mounts, throw lever, scope level. If you want Arken, go to their site

I am a Vortex fan boy. A problem I have had with my Arken scopes is the set screws getting loose over time sitting in the gun cabinet. Pull it out and have the turret covers spin. That has happened zero times with my Vortex.

You can also get Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50. It does not have zero stop and the Venom does. The Venom is a Strike Eagle without the reticle illumination. Squeeze a few more pennies. Buy once, cry once.

Reactions: Maggot and 338dude
Arken 4-16 is a good, versatile scope.
But their 6-24 comes in under budget

I have 2 "Super Sniper" Scopes from SWFA Outdoors. Outstanding scopes for the money. I find them fabulous for the price, Here is a link, GOOD LUCK.
Best to all!

Why is it hard for me to believe that a guy with that budget needs a ffp? Suppose he ranges something and determins it's 1200 yards. Are the turrets on a 450 scope going to put him on target?

I have 2 "Super Sniper" Scopes from SWFA Outdoors. Outstanding scopes for the money. I find them fabulous for the price, Here is a link, GOOD LUCK.
Best to all!

I would agree with the SS regarding quality for the money. I had one that did not pass a box test but they replaced it no issue and have run them for years on certain rifles. Vortex is a good option and their repair policy is very good; found this out the hard way. Always have had good dealings with their repair team.

If you think you can get a vortex viper pst gen1 FFP 6-24 for under $450, I’d take that deal 10 of 10 times. I’ve got a couple that I payed close to 2x for (several years ago) and they were worth it then.

I just checked on Amazon.

Vortex FFP Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50 is 350. However, good rings do cost. On my Venom, I paided premium money for 34 mm matched precision rings. But you can find cheap rings somewhere, I would not advise that. At the very least, get Arken rings. Those are good.

Arken or Athlon

I’ve owned several of the cheaper vortex viper HS and PST Gen 1. One was about $450 other close to $900. Both went back to vortex for warranty in first year. The replacements got sold

I have never had a problem with any of my Vortex optics. Not just saying that to dispute the experience of others. Just, I have not had a problem. My latest Venom that I put on my Patriot, I had lost the rev stop ring at the range, They sent me a replacement, fast, free of charge.

And my experience of slipping turret covers on my Arken units (I have more than one) may not be shared by others. One guy suggested using loctite.

Read that again. Having loctite the allen set-screws on a turret cover. I have not had to do that on any other scope. Another guy told me I was doing it wrong and said he would buy my Arken scopes. Never heard from him again. Probably, he was an affiliate, which means he gets paid for representing the brand. (Google affiliate membership.)

Anyway, plenty of good scopes in the range that you want.

Why is it hard for me to believe that a guy with that budget needs a ffp? Suppose he ranges something and determins it's 1200 yards. Are the turrets on a 450 scope going to put him on target?
My Athlon was $250 a few years ago. Makes hits at 1,000. With 20MOA scope rings there should be plenty of cranking left.
Beat it, break it, send it back for another... Upgrade when you out grow it or can come up with more money.
My scope is probaby worth more now than when I bought it. Sell it off and make $50 after shooting it for a few years.

The other option is get him a gift card or cash. $350-$450. If he puts another couple hundred on that it’s starts opening up even further options. Notice I didn’t say necessarily better however depending what you choose.

You hang generally in Chinese optics (some are decent) in this area. You can move into Burris or pst Gen 2 if he kicks in a nickel. Basically $700 in px here and start playing with better Chinese optics or Philippine glass.

Add another $550 and he’s entering Burris XTRIII or Athlon Cronus Gen 1 territory in the px or from CameralandNY. Once you get in this area Japan glass comes into the picture

I know I have to be that guy that goes over budget. There’s always one! 🫠

But there’s something to be said about buy once cry once. Especially if your in the off season which is here for myself so there’s time to save and consolidate funds

I went ahead and ordered the Arken EP5 for him. Over budget, but hopefully it's a good scope for him. The wife is going to give me the $350 and I'm eating the rest and she won't know it's more than that.
You likely be very happy

Been eyeing one for my Bergara B14R eventually

If you don't want China gear at your price point, then get on the SWFA black Friday deal. Made in Japan for $219 fixed 6x or 10x, nothing else can touch it at that price. Just grabbed 3 more....

Reactions: atomic41
If you don't want China gear at your price point, then get on the SWFA black Friday deal. Made in Japan for $219 fixed 6x or 10x, nothing else can touch it at that price. Just grabbed 3 more....

I padded the budget and bought thr Arken EP5.

I actually suggested a fixed power SWFA a couple weeks ago to the guy but he insisted on variable power.

Anyone own both Athlon and Arken? Which is better?

I've have/had several BTRs and was happy for a $500 scope. Should I look elsewhere now?

I actually suggested a fixed power SWFA a couple weeks ago to the guy but he insisted on variable power.
It's an excellent scope. I have a gen 2 4-16 and the ep5. For the money, they are great. I have a nx8 for my precision hunting rifle, amg on another 2, not a direct comparison to those at all, but weigh plays a part and so does the glass. However, the arken punch way above their weight. Good call on the ep5.

I went ahead and ordered the Arken EP5 for him. Over budget, but hopefully it's a good scope for him. The wife is going to give me the $350 and I'm eating the rest and she won't know it's more than that.

I have a lot of what most here consider lower end scopes
I have a gen 1 Athlon argos btr 6-24x50
I have a gen 2 Athlon argos btr 6-24x50
Paid ridiculously low prices for the above

I have an Arken sh4 6-24x50
I got great deal, used the coupon for the free mount and accessories

I just ordered and got earlier this week (i have not mounted or shot with it yet, just looked through it)
Arken EP5 5-25x56
also got a great deal, used the coupon for $170 off on the accessory pack ON TOP OF the Black Friday pricing

I can tell you 100% that I am not the best long range shooter. I can hit 1000 yard targets with all the above scopes, no problem.

Your friend will fucking love the Arken EP5!! Anyone on a budget looking for a scope should jump on their BF deals, smoking deal for what you actually get

your sales tax will vary

1669438379146.png

Last edited:
Here is a fair review of the Arken optics. This guy does not have an affiliate code. That means he does not get paid if you buy a scope. Much as I like the other guys showing off this scope, they are affiliates.

At time stamp around 15:30 he details the same problem I have with the turret covers spinning. I have had that same problem. So, still talking about having to use some adhesive to hold in the screws or they will back out. This has happened to him in the middle of a match. I am not a competition shooter but I imagine that must also suck hard and not in a good way.

I have not had any performance problems with my Vortex optics. I have the Crossfire II 3-9X40. a couple of the Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50, and some of the Venom 5-25X56.

I also have 3 of the Arken SH4 Gen II 6-24X50 and 1 of the SH4 Gen II 4-16X50. So, I am not talking theoretical, I am talking my experience. And no, I don't have to give Vortex time to fail. Other than any equipment wearing down over time, slipping turret covers is an immediate problem and I think it is an engineering and design problem.

That being said, the guy in the review has broken or had failures with scopes way, way more expensive than the Arken. And I am not campaigning against the Arken. If the turret cover could stay on better at the same price, it would beat Vortex, IMHO.

I've had leupold m3 turret set screws come loose that way too, and SWFA, on some rifles more than others. Their screw design looks a little chintzy in the pictures but for the price there's really nothing else besides SWFA fixed power.

I've had leupold m3 turret set screws come loose that way too, and SWFA, on some rifles more than others. Their screw design looks a little chintzy in the pictures but for the price there's really nothing else besides SWFA fixed power.
Everyone who is dealing with these loose turrets - is it because the tapped hole is too big or the screw’s themselves are too small? Something seems to be out of spec. Or am I missing something?

Here is a fair review of the Arken optics. This guy does not have an affiliate code. That means he does not get paid if you buy a scope. Much as I like the other guys showing off this scope, they are affiliates.

At time stamp around 15:30 he details the same problem I have with the turret covers spinning. I have had that same problem. So, still talking about having to use some adhesive to hold in the screws or they will back out. This has happened to him in the middle of a match. I am not a competition shooter but I imagine that must also suck hard and not in a good way.

I have not had any performance problems with my Vortex optics. I have the Crossfire II 3-9X40. a couple of the Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50, and some of the Venom 5-25X56.

I also have 3 of the Arken SH4 Gen II 6-24X50 and 1 of the SH4 Gen II 4-16X50. So, I am not talking theoretical, I am talking my experience. And no, I don't have to give Vortex time to fail. Other than any equipment wearing down over time, slipping turret covers is an immediate problem and I think it is an engineering and design problem.

That being said, the guy in the review has broken or had failures with scopes way, way more expensive than the Arken. And I am not campaigning against the Arken. If the turret cover could stay on better at the same price, it would beat Vortex, IMHO.

A tiny drop of blue locktite on each screw and the problem is solved.
Even if you need to reset them, the dry locktite creates enough friction to keep them from backing out again.

A tiny drop of blue locktite on each screw and the problem is solved.
Even if you need to reset them, the dry locktite creates enough friction to keep them from backing out again.
I think purple would be better solution, you might damage the small screws trying to break them free

Purple would be fine too.

Most people have blue around the house and if used sparingly, (tiny drop or the tip of a toothpick) it should be fine.

Reactions: Average guy

You could always do something crazy like send it in to Arken for warranty.

Well, I am grateful for this thread. I have a new Arken 5-25. 1st trip to the range 1st target 1/2mil low. Tore down a couple rounds weighed charges etc. Nothing re zeroed. Now at least I am not crazy. Blue Locktite and I will press on. Damn fine scope otherwise. 34 mils travel and side by side glass is equal to my Leuopold ERT. The ERT has had a erector failure and been repaired. I just can't do a ACTAR, damn fuel and hay costs. FJB. Meant to say first trip after load development, and zero.

Last edited:
You could always do something crazy like send it in to Arken for warranty.
True. Maybe I could turn it into warranty. Then get it back and sell it like others have done with other brands that had problems. I am not sure what warranty could do. The screws look fine. And they back out. So, I could then get it back. Check zero. Go through 40 rounds. Bring it home, clean the rifle. Put it in the gun cabinet. Go back a few days or a week later and find that the turret covers spin. And this is already happened more than once.

Edited to add: next best thing, I sent an email to them asking how to solve that problem. Again, I don't think it is a failure of manufacturing but a design problem.

Last edited:

I think the guy will be happy and it is a scope that will do everything he ever needs, from hunting to competition shooting, if he gets into that. Buy once, cry once. If he decides later that he wants to spend 4k on optics, he has a good baseline of experience with features that should be important.

True. Maybe I could turn it into warranty. Then get it back and sell it like others have done with other brands that had problems. I am not sure what warranty could do. The screws look fine. And they back out. So, I could then get it back. Check zero. Go through 40 rounds. Bring it home, clean the rifle. Put it in the gun cabinet. Go back a few days or a week later and find that the turret covers spin. And this is already happened more than once.

Edited to add: next best thing, I sent an email to them asking how to solve that problem. Again, I don't think it is a failure of manufacturing but a design problem.
Yeah, must be why no other company in the business uses grub screws on their turrets.

Everyone who is dealing with these loose turrets - is it because the tapped hole is too big or the screw’s themselves are too small? Something seems to be out of spec. Or am I missing something?
I’ve never had a problem with mine!