• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sub MOA.223/556 semi autos

LorenaF

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2012
Bluffton SC
Which off the shelf .223/556 rifles are capable of doing this? I have heard people talk of this or the salesman at the LGS blowing smoke but in reality which can achieve it?

Re: Sub MOA.223/556 semi autos

In all honesty about every AR15 I have purchased or built have shot MOA or slightly better. It isnt terribly difficult to get the AR15 platform to shoot MOA or better, its almost harder to make them shoot bad. I had a Les Baer that would shoot in the .3s and .4s consistantly, recently sold a POF 16" carbine that shot under MOA in case you want specific MFRs. A few things to look for, free floating barrels, avoid the pencil barrels, and you want a good trigger.

I don't know if I have just been lucky with the 20+ AR15s I have owned or built but thats my answer. Keep in mind these are all shooting match grade ammo or tailored handloads.

Kirk R

I agree with Cpt Kirk. It more the ammo and the shooter than the rifle IMHO.

that's kinda funny and maybe it's me but the only semi auto .223 rifle that I could get to shoot sub moa is an HK SL8-6. I have had several AR's and a few others. I have always shot "quality" ammo. ie Black Hills, FGMM, and handloads. I am no expert marksman but no slouch either for a woman I guess.

I shot a couple of sub moa groups at 100 with my stock colt 6920 other day. Using american eagle 55 gr fmj. I was very suprised. Im sure a trigger wuld help a ton. Not a fan of its trigger

I have a Rainier Arms RUC 14.5 and it shoot consistently under a inch at 100 with Hornady Steel match 75gr. It will put cheap russian ammo cloverleaf at 50 too.

does piston driven or DI have any bearing on accuracy? I may be touching on a sensitive subject here so I will tread lightly.

I have a POF, which is a piston gun, that consistently shoots .75ish. I also have an Ambush/Daniel Defense, which is a DI gun, hat shot .61 this morning. The Ambush is more ammo touchy,it likes the 77gr Fed Match.

reason I am asking is beacuse I am fixing to buy a 223 semi and want to be pretty sure it can do what I want it to

55 and 62gr fmjs do not shoot well. They are cheap and the body is short, they wobble as they exit the muzzle. If you use 69 or 77gr sierra bullets you'll get much better accuracy. Chrome barrels aren't as accurate as stainless and Melonite treated CMV. The Wylde chamber is more accurate than the 5.56 chamber and stick with a 7 or 8 twist barrel. A barrel with a target crown and no threads will be more accurate than barrels with 1/2-28 threads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rade1MOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a POF, which is a piston gun, that consistently shoots .75ish. I also have an Ambush/Daniel Defense, which is a DI gun, hat shot .61 this morning. The Ambush is more ammo touchy,it likes the 77gr Fed Match. </div></div>

I also have a 16" barreled POF that shoots reloads under 3/4"..Actually shoots several loads into nice groups. I also have a factory RRA predator pursuit that shoots factory ammo and reloads well under 1". Then I have a couple custom builds that shoot into the 1/2" or better mark but those have expensive custom barrels and Geissele triggers in them. But like stated above. Most of the off the shelf guns today will shoot under MOA especially if you just swap out the triggers and put a decent trigger in them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LorenaF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">reason I am asking is beacuse I am fixing to buy a 223 semi and want to be pretty sure it can do what I want it to </div></div>

Might help to say how much money you want to spend. Different options command different prices.

Les baer or pof if you want to spend over 2k
Rock river most do .6-.75 for 1-1.5k

It optics you choose( hard to shot sub moa with an eotech) will also matter alot

I have been using a leupold M4 4-14x40 so I figure the scope is "good enough". I always shoot at least a 69 grain SMK but will try up to 90 grain in some of my loads. I am looking to spend 1500 + or -

I have had 4 ARs of varying quality, they all shot the 77s about 1 MOA when I was driving. My son who has better eyes and mechanics shot all 4 below 3/4 moa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LorenaF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does piston driven or DI have any bearing on accuracy? I may be touching on a sensitive subject here so I will tread lightly. </div></div>

That is a discussion in itself.

I have 14 AR of different flavors most of them shoot 1 MOA or better with tailored hand loads. But my most accurate and consistent under 1 MOA rifles are the 2 Noveske's I own.

it looks like those DPMS with the bull barrels are pretty high up on the charts there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">has anyone been able to do this with an FN SCAR?</div></div>
I just accuracy group tested my Scar 16s and a dozen different commercial ammo, and could only get sub-MOA with one brand/weight ammo. My Noveske 12.5" Rogue Hunter did it with several, and LWRC A3 14.7" could not with any. 75gr and 77gr were the consistent winners, but were brand dependent. For example, Black Hills 77gr did not do well in either even though it has a high reputation for accuracy. Every gun shoots differently, you have test it yourself. Although, there are makers that consistently make guns that can shoot more accurately with a wider range of ammo than other builders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LorenaF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which off the shelf .223/556 rifles are capable of doing this? I have heard people talk of this or the salesman at the LGS blowing smoke but in reality which can achieve it?</div></div>

Most of them if mounted with a quality optic and running decent ammo, if you mean sub MOA at 100 yards. I a real test of a rifle an shooter in a AR 5.56 is around 5 or 6oo yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWP6114</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LorenaF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which off the shelf .223/556 rifles are capable of doing this? I have heard people talk of this or the salesman at the LGS blowing smoke but in reality which can achieve it?</div></div>

Most of them if mounted with a quality optic and running decent ammo, if you mean sub MOA at 100 yards. I a real test of a rifle an shooter in a AR 5.56 is around 5 or 6oo yards. </div></div>

I do totally agree but the 100 yard will give a "blueprint" as to what any rifle is really capable of. if it does shitty at 100 it will suck even worse at 500

I've built over 50 uppers this year for lowers in 556 and 6.8, and I have always guaranteed all to shoot under an inch. With a good brrl/trigger and put together correct, they all have so far. But I have used Lothar Walther brrls mainly, and Wilson Combat,and a few ARP's in 6.8.

my rock river + some black hills 77gr smk = sub moa

so these AR's are pretty much dedicated target rifles? heavy bull barrels no threads and flash hiders? So you could take a pretty much off the shelf RR or DPMS with the 1" bull bbl and print nice pretty groups?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LorenaF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so these AR's are pretty much dedicated target rifles? heavy bull barrels no threads and flash hiders? So you could take a pretty much off the shelf RR or DPMS with the 1" bull bbl and print nice pretty groups? </div></div>

Most of the ARs I have owned or built were more traditional carbine style rifles and not geared towards target shooting. A medium to heavy barrel (doesnt need to be a bull bbl), a good trigger and match ammo or handloads will get you there. If you take bull barrel tatget rifle such as your describing, it should shoot much better than MOA, closer to .5-.75 if it is worth its weight.

Kirk R

I have a stock M&P 15 Sport that shoots .65" groups at 100 yards if I do my part (which isn't often enough). The barrel is a 1 - 8 twist with 5R rifling. The other folks I've read about with the Sport have had the same results. Not bad for a $620 rifle. Here's a target and the group in the bullseye shows the potential accuracy. These were all 3 shot groups and I did get with the program for the one group in the bullseye! The bullseye is 1.5in in diameter.

Fed19355gr100yd.jpg

I've got a rock river varmint that'll do 0.5 w/ handloads. It's heavy though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LorenaF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so these AR's are pretty much dedicated target rifles? heavy bull barrels no threads and flash hiders? So you could take a pretty much off the shelf RR or DPMS with the 1" bull bbl and print nice pretty groups? </div></div>

Pretty much, using good ammunition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LorenaF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which off the shelf .223/556 rifles are capable of doing this? I have heard people talk of this or the salesman at the LGS blowing smoke but in reality which can achieve it?</div></div>

I had a Rock River A2 HBAR that shot sub-moa. The LMT carbine I had shot about 1-1.5 moa. Both of the 6.5 Grendels I had shot moa. Both shot slightly better with the lighter rounds, but those didn't make the distance for the intended purpose. My second 6.5 would shoot 85 gr. Sierra varminters into one little hole. In the meantime, I've had a 6.8 that shot moa, and another carbine that I put together shoot just under moa.

All in all, if all things are done correctly to enhance accuracy, they will shoot sub-moa consistently. One of problems we all encounter is trying to get a rifle to perform it's best in two separate categories. A carbine is light and handy and not generally conducive to super accuracy. Put a decent barrel on it, and micro-spec all the things you would normally do, then they shoot great. But, you just given up weight. And, when you take the thing into a shoot house and run a thousand rounds through it in a couple days the accuracy you built into it is going to be degraded. It could still be good, but you will notice it going downhill.
On the other hand, purpose accuracy built AR's aren't exactly handy.

Stag model 6. Good Trigger. Handloads.

Rivals my Sendero at 300yds.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3523625

This thread is pretty sweet and will show you what some ARs are truly capable of. I was impressed to see that there were several DPMS rifles in the top 10 and making honorable mention list. They aren't the fanciest and the triggers out of the box are just shy of 10lbs (exaggerating) but they shooot.

Just about any manufacturer now makes a pretty amazing rifle. Just put in a good trigger and you will be happy to see some great groups out of a factory gun.

The Stag, is where I landed, too. Shoots great, BUT it's heavy , for this "older guy". Heard great things about the Noveske's having great barrels, but the Stag was only $1100.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Squid284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stag model 6. Good Trigger. Handloads.

Rivals my Sendero at 300yds. </div></div>

I have a robinson arms xcr that shoots.6-.7 @100, FN Scar17 ahooting .35, and a custom built DTech .20tac shooting .2. Of all the ar's and similar I have had they have all shot sub moa except my first colt ar which was 2moa but then it was a non hbar and not floated. If it doesn't shoot at least one moa I sell it. I really like my scar and xcr. Side chargers spoil you.

I have a friend who has a POF and his will shoot .75ish all day long. They are really nice guns but they are more expensive. Also after a 400rd tac rifle course his bolt was still shiny and in no way needed a cleaning compared of all us other with a DI gun. Gotta love those piston guns!

The smith/wesson with the quad rail, 16" melonited barrel, using good ammunition and trigger will be sub-moa. A friend has 2 of them and they both love 52gr black hills and my 69gr handloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LorenaF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so these AR's are pretty much dedicated target rifles? heavy bull barrels no threads and flash hiders? So you could take a pretty much off the shelf RR or DPMS with the 1" bull bbl and print nice pretty groups?</div></div>

pretty much. i own RR and dpms in bull barrels from 16 -24 inch. they all shoot sub moa with decent ammo. Fit finish and triggers are main difference. And an ar's accuracy isnt touchy to sloppy lowers. The HK SL8 is another nice semi auto shooter.

RRA Varmint does it easy, so did my Colt pre-ban H-Bar

Most I have owned would shoot under moa. My newest Stag 3G shoots about half that, I consider that great for a factory mass produced gun. Think it will be harder to find the ones that wont hold moa.

Another vote for Stag here. I'm a southpaw so I gravitated to Stag a while ago. Last weekend I shot a sub MOA 5-shot group at 100 with a 16" bbl & 1.25-4x scope (albeit with a handload). Damn hard to beat for out of the box.

t