• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Sub MOA Deer Rifle in .308 or 30/06

Burton

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2005
Michigan
Hello,

My father-in-law has been wanting to get a new deer rifle in .308 or 30/06 that delivers sub-moa groups. I have made some suggestions to him, but he is a very particular person. What kind of deer rifles do you fellas have in .308 or 30/06 that produce sub-moa groups? He is a classic walnut stock sort of guy with a bad shoulder, so he isnt looking for anything "tactical" or super heavy. I think he will spend up to $800 or so on a new rifle. What do you guys think?

Any suggestions?

Thank You!

Re: Sub MOA Deer Rifle in .308 or 30/06

Sako 85 Finnlites shoot pretty damn good outta the box!!

Turns out he is up for a synthetic too! That Sako is nice, I wish I had a Sako!

maybe have him look into and hold and feel the trigger on a savage 16/116 or 11/111 models; msrps range from ~700-825 but you can shop around for a better deal. there are many people giving these rifles rave reviews. i do not feel comfortable saying it is any better than other rifles without knowing more about his goal. most would agree it will delivery the accuracy your father-in-law wants out the box. that accu-trigger is a big variable that most prefer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacgnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the Tikka models. I have two and they both shoot sub MOA</div></div>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS!

Tikka T3 Lite

I have three and they all have at least one factory laoding I have found that will shoot MOA. Some loadings a lot less than MOA.

I have been pushing him towards the Tikka. He got his hands on one and did not seem to like the bolt. It was kind of sloppy in his opinion. I think he's leaning towards a Weatherby Vanguard at or a TC Venture at the moment.

The Vanguard is the same rifle as the Howa M-1500, I have a Howa, and is a real solid rifle but maybe not sub MOA from the box. Mine is as good a shooter as I can wring out of it without spending more money, and it's close. Great rifle for the money regardless, and one that has potential with the right smith tweaking it.

I would stay away from the vanguard. 4 years ago I purchased a custom Sub MOA from Cabela's. It was Barely Sub-MOA with Many many loads tried. The trigger was like dragging a brick across concrete. I sold it and bought a M-70 all weather in 308. It is a solid .5-.75MOA rifle. It likes anything 150-180 grain so far. As well it is a well balanced rifle at it's wieght, and not so heavy as to be cumbersome in the mountains for me. The triggers on the new M-70 are really nice as well. the old triggers are great, but I have found nothing wrong with the new ones. A couple of whitetails have fallen prey to this rifle already from 50 to a couple hundred yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Woodlanddude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would stay away from the vanguard. 4 years ago I purchased a custom Sub MOA from Cabela's. It was Barely Sub-MOA with Many many loads tried. The trigger was like dragging a brick across concrete. I sold it and bought a M-70 all weather in 308. It is a solid .5-.75MOA rifle. It likes anything 150-180 grain so far. As well it is a well balanced rifle at it's wieght, and not so heavy as to be cumbersome in the mountains for me. The triggers on the new M-70 are really nice as well. the old triggers are great, but I have found nothing wrong with the new ones. A couple of whitetails have fallen prey to this rifle already from 50 to a couple hundred yards. </div></div>

FWIW Vanguards usually shoot great but everybody puts out a bad one from time to time including Winchester. The triggers on the original Vanguards did kinda blow and Timney would be my next stop for a older Vanguard. However the new Vanguards are all guaranteed sub moa from the factory with premium ammo, even the models with the non floated synthetic stock. They also have a new two stage trigger that is actually a great trigger.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. I think a field trip to Cabelas or some other place with lots of weapons is in order. I have not had my hands on an m-70 in quite some time. It is certainly something that we will consider.

I would have to suggest any of the model 11/111 or 16/116 savages! All of the ones I have shot have produced .75 MOA accuracy or better!

This rifle was a special order "custom" and also "gauranteed Sub-MOA". When I approached their Cust. Svc. dept. about that fact they wanted to bicker. They thought I should be happy with the 1.25" groups even though it was named sub MOA. Put the rifle out the door. For an average deer rifle the vanguard will serve most perfectly as 1.5" groups will put venison on the table all day inside 300yards. I understand what you are saying very well about exceptions to the rule, as Winchester also sent me a lemon thier first try only MUCH worse(palm sized 100yard groups with fed match). They took thiers back with no hassle, and sent me one back in a week or 2 that was truly sub-moa. No fuss no problem. Yes the Vanguard trigger has been tweaked for the better as of late, by leaps and bounds. That does not make up for the lack of support I experienced for the Vanguard. IF you want a weatherby, look to the mark V line for quality. I owned a 30-06 Accumark that was as good a shooter as my 5R milspec. Only reason I don't own it any longer is a #3 barrel is not light enough for me on stalk hunts in the Appalachian Mountains. Just my personal experiences with these 2 companies. Remington and kimber also make fine rifles, but I do not think you can get sub-moa guaranteed. Question if you go there is, do you really need it? Best of luck!

Nothing wrong with a Howa/Vanguard at all, just like there isn't anything wrong with a Savage or a Rem. He does need to make the trip to the shop and feel them for fit.

I have a hard time buying that. I know a guy who couldn't get his sub moa varmint to shoot submoa with any ammo or shooter after checking the scope, mounts, torque on action screws and everything. He called Weatherby about it and they told him to ship it in with no hesitation. About a week later he got a call that they received and inspected the rifle and found a manufacturing defect in the barrel. They sent him a whole new rifle in the mail and the complete turnaround from door to door was less than 3 weeks.

Sorry, but that one is in the history books. Believe/don't at your own convenience. I think those that have met and shot with me know I put it straight about firearms issues. I no longer own one because of that exact incident. I had non customs owned by friends shoot much better than that rifle did, so thats why I bought it. Others on the ASC staff shot/saw that rifle underperform, as well, if you don't want to take my word for it. I loved the way the rifle felt with the B&C medalist stock. It pointed great, shot mediocre, and they said piss off. I put out the good and bad equally. Deal in your own way. Glad your freinds experience was a positive. Thread hijack over. PM me if you want to discuss it over. Savage would be much more recommendable. I have seen them shoot well on the mountain, and at the range, and I hear thier customer service is responsive.

I have a Tikka and a Savage 116 (stainless). Of those two, I would go with the Savage. It's more money than the Tikka, but worth it.

Some people don't like the ACCU trigger and I had problems with mine too at 1.75 lbs. When I adjusted it to 2 lbs I never had another problem. The Tikka cannot be unloaded on safe. The Savage has a 3 position safety.

If you were near me in Michigan, I would let your Father in-law try both of my rifles. They both shoot factory ammo sub MOA. The Savage is more accurate with the factory loads I use.

I have a Kimber Montana in 308 that is a 5lb 2 oz bundle of joy. When I'm driving it right with hand loads, it shoots incredibly well. Many of my buddies have tried to buy it from me but I'll never sell it. They make a stainless synthetic and blued walnut models. I have rifles that cost 4 times as much but this thing is easily my favorite.

My .308 Montana has been decent, but I would consider something else if shelling out a grand. Its had to trips back to Kimber, once from the previous owner to re-barrel and once from me for feeding and firing pin issues. They seemes to have fixed the feeding but the rifle is still light-striking primers. For a thousand bucks I expect mid grade results, and that's what I've gotten more or less. The rifle is ridiculously light and pretty accurate, so I can't complain too much. The feeding issue, discovered while in bear country, was cause for some concern.

Also, as to the other options for a lightweight .308 hunter, something else I tried that I definitely don't suggest is Ruger's little compact 16" .308, the M77 compact I think. The thing had some very sharp recoil and I could barely get it on the paper.

One of the options that was next on my list after some research was a Remington 700 titanium, their lightweight offering. Although it didn't sound perfect it had enough going for it that I shopped around awhile.

Had also heard good things about the Tikka and continue to.

My Kimber 84m is MOA, great trigger and Mauser claw extractor, no nonsence rifle

Rem LTR in 308
Tikka T3 in 30-06