• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

sub moa rifles.

Re: sub moa rifles.

Custom rifles generally have
- Custom barrel (tighter tolerances, bore has fewer imperfections/roughness)
- Tighter chamber
- Trued action or custom action (barrel will sit more squarely, bolt luds will engage more evenly)
- Lapped bolt allows for smoother operation
- Tuned or aftermarket trigger
- Better Stock
- Action bedded into stock helps remove the shift of the action in the stock during firing

Essentially, the things that generally tend to contribute to poorer performance or less favorable user "feel" are addressed in a custom build. Tolerances are held tighter, which contributes greatly to repeatable performance. The more "slop", the less repeatable the rifle will be from shot to shot.

yeah thats also one of savages bench rest market rifles, completely different disicpline than you regular "out of the box" rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah thats also one of savages bench rest market rifles, completely different disicpline than you regular "out of the box" rifle
</div></div>

I guess, it's a stock rifle with no custom work done to it. Granted there are many features on the rifle which are very conducive to accuracy, it is still a stock rifle.

Its an advertisement - your argument is based on a marketing campaign.

Creature you are just dumb if you think that rifle belongs in a "tactical setting" it has a benchrest trigger. On the side of the reciever is engraved, benchrest trigger, close bolt with caution. Your telling me that its just a regular old savage with a run of the mill savage barrel. Your just ignorant if thats the idea you have

and also that rifle in the video is about an 1800 dollar MSRP rifle, think low 2K range from a dealer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Creature you are just dumb if you think that rifle belongs in a "tactical setting" it has a benchrest trigger. On the side of the reciever is engraved, benchrest trigger, close bolt with caution. Your telling me that its just a regular old savage with a run of the mill savage barrel. Your just ignorant if thats the idea you have </div></div>

I believe this thread is titled "sub moa rifles," that's what I was referring to. Where in any of my posts have i said anything about Savage belonging in a "tactical setting?"

"you are just dumb," "Your just ignorant." At least I can soak in the content of what a read and spell my words correctly.

My Stevens model 200 was my first bolt rifle, after much load development and trial and error it's now a sub-MOA rifle(for the last 1k rounds, I think the bbl is on it's last leg). All together I have around $500 into it. Going to put another $500 in it adding a .260 bbl and a new stock, I'm sure it will shoot even better than before

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its an advertisement - your argument is based on a marketing campaign.
</div></div>

If your read my argument it was based on the fact that they won the F-Class World Championships in Bisley, England with rifles that have a MSRP of $1,265. Nobody pays MSRP, I saw these listed(in their book) at Dick's sporting goods for around $1100 IIRC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You get what you pay for, some people will never learn.

For all non-learners, stay on the porch and away from my AO. </div></div>

You talk as if you are military. Your comments towards another serviceman's record are deplorable. Your knowledge of what you speak of shows to be lacking. You speak of your AO, yet you have no profile filled out.......

SilentX:
20050818-how-about-a-nice-cup-of-shut-the-fuck-up.jpg

skullandbones69,

I started shooting rifles about 2 years ago and purchased a used production rifle. For about the first year I consistantly improved and competed in several local compitions that shoot between 200 to 1,000 yards. After the first year my shooting seemed to stay the same for about the next six months and then started getting progressively worse for the last few months. After much frustration and head scratching I figured out that the barrel was shot out of the production rifle. I decided to buy a custom gun and have seen a significant improvement in my group size and match score. I have only shot one match with it so far. I shot apprrox. 3200 rounds over the last 2 years out of the production rifle. And while it allowed me to get started in long range shooting it was never as consistant as a custom rifle. That always caused me to wonder if it was my shooting or the rifle. While I am by no means an expert I now know when I blow a shot that it is definetly not the rifle. To me that consistancy is what makes the big difference between a custom rifle and a factory gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ranger: showing your shadow box as if it lends credibility is down right embarrassing to the rest of us who don't advertise.

Also, I have worked closely with contractors overseas (I'm not a contractor, hint), perhaps where you have been as well. I also know that a lot of the contractors with their suspect backgrounds were in the system. I respect most of the contractors I've met, but you and I both know the stories being told are typically not official nor purely accurate.

Bottomline. If you only had $1,000 and wanted a precision weapon you have choices that you may think gets you close.

I and other operators I have worked with simply would not put up with the minimum for our weapons and gear. Encouraging others to do so as well is irresponsible. We consider people like yourselves as liabilities in the field.

If any of you fools tried to hand one of your $1,000 precision rifles to one of our proud service members for field use, the service member and his armorer should rightfully kick the sh*t out of you. Proper enhancements and field study occurs in long range precision weapon development and procurement. </div></div>

I'm dying to know who you worked with, where you worked and when since you have "been there and done that". You call yourself an "Operator". CAG (commonly known as "Delta Force") has Operators. So does the group formly known as "The Army of Northern Virginia". Are you saying that you are either one of these? If so, you have already violated a multiple of security regulations.

Real "Operators" know this. Which means that aren't any of these. If anything, you might actually be an operator at your local phone company. And you've made a whopping 17 posts.

So, "Operator", how about a trace on your IP address?

FWIW.... Ranger is straight-up, about as gold as they come.

I don't know why these things always have to turn into some internet pissing match.

Jumping a guy, for advising a new shooter to invest his money on trigger time, rather than a custom rifle, is beyond me. Seems, anyone in the know, would coach advancement of skills, over all else, any day... but I <span style="text-decoration: underline">truly</span> wouldn't know... I have not been there, nor done that... so let the bickering continue....

skull&bones... I have a remmy 5R .308 that I got for like 800 & change... bedded & tuned trigger... i've spent the vast majority of my shooting dough on ammo (reloading gear, powder, boolets, etc, etc, etc, there are plenty of things to spend your money on....), and that baby will ring a 13" steel plate at 1100 yards all day long.

If you've got the dough, buy it all man... if not, spend your money on trigger time... once you know, you'll know.

(Oh.... lest we forget... don't go cheap on the optics, whatever you do!
wink.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not saying that there are not some great factory shooters out there, there are. In fact, I have owned some.

My point it this:
If you take you facory rifle $500, have the action trued $600, put on an new tube $600, put it in a top end stock with botom metal and bedding $1000, put a good trigger on it $200, and add a bolt handle $100, maybe even a brake $200, or side bolt release $200, plus any shipping and other expences, you are easily in the custom range.

Do you have to do all that? No. But if you are planning to either immediately or eventually, you are not loosing anything going custom (or even factory custom-ish, i.e. AE MKII or TRG).

Nothing snob about it, it just makes more "cents"...and you have a truely great rifle that is potentially more robust and backed up by the builder. Plus, many custom sticks offer features that you just can not get in a out of the box rifle. </div></div>
Yeah.

I am a custom golf club builder, and I can't believe anyone buys custom clubs off the rack.

Pay $1,000 for Titleist blades, then pay $500 to tear them apart and put them back together.

Or get a good clubmaker that builds them up piece by piece according to your specs with an equal quality for literally half the price.

Good custom almost always comes out on top.

BUT

For beginners there really isn't much difference. A few weeks of research will get you the same stuff. Your game will evolve and you will outgrow your first set in a few years. I would imagine the same for guns.

You talking about me?...

"Are you just going to be a guy who has a "Sniper Rifle"? Under the bed in the cheap wal mart plastic case"

aiaw_case.jpg

If you think you are going to be able to learn and improve on your shooting, you may as well "cry once" and have a rifle that can "out shoot" you.

"Are going to be a shooter? Then it might be worth it to get that custom build." hogstooth
+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
here's mine...............
MVC-033S.jpg
</div></div>

That there watch bezel thingy ain't even on right!!!

Just kidding....nice watch....

As for the out of box vs. custom question, it really depends what you want. I had a custom that I ended up selling and ended up keeping a semi-custom. Also with customs you are in many cases buying an accuracy guarantee since many custom shops will put an accuracy guarantee on their builds. You will not get the same level of accuracy guarantee with an out of box rifle. If you want to go out of box and want to maximize your chance of getting a shooter I suggest getting a Tikka then. Those rifles are known to be shooters. I had one I just sold that posted a 0.182MOA group at 300 yards before I sold it. Your mileage will definitely vary.

Hope this helps

Gene

Well well well

While I've been at the 1,000 yard range looks like you girls have been getting your panties in a wad.

ranger, put the shadow box away, it wreaks of pity not pride and nobody gives a sh*t

creature, you are quite the piece... Your intimation that a bargain boom stick is just as good as a precision weapon (built by a reputable builder) is infantile and ludicrous

please stay on the porch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg3vdU-Y1wM&feature=related

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well well well

While I've been at the 1,000 yard range looks like you girls have been getting your panties in a wad. yeah yeah, that's the ticket!
</div></div>

Okay Tommy Flanagan ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLyyPCbxnIU ). Be on your way now little boy, nobody likes you here.

Enough ladies. Go measure your dicks elsewhere.

skullandbones69

Several months back (maybe 1 year)I read a very good article in I believe Long Range Shooting magazine. The cover story and major article was "Why own a Custom Rifle?" The article covered all the pro's and con's many have detailed above.
The punch line at the end of the article was,

Because I want one!.

Pretty much true. I build custom guns and can honestly tell you there is a difference. A custom is designed and built to perform a certain way consistently. It is not by accident they can do this. But there are many shooters out there that have purchased custom weapons but never develop the skill to ring the most out of their purchase.

Great question! YOu got nads!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can we do a kick/ban vote on SilentX?
smile.gif
</div></div>

+1

Scooter-Pie,
spoken like a true herbivore looking for herd protection...

Anyway,
The US Army and US Marine Corps have highly trained individuals that build precision weapons. These individuals are providing a vital service to operators, they are not wasting taxpayer dollars on superfluous activities in doing so. Personally, I think this thread insults precision weapon builders, as if they can be casually replaced by less expensive COTS pieces that might shoot sub-moa occasionally.

As far as shooters being the weak link, that has nothing to do with the merits of durable, finely built and tuned precision weapons versus a weapon built with lesser standards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scooter-Pie,

Anyway,
The US Army and US Marine Corps have highly trained individuals that build precision weapons. These individuals are providing a vital service to operators, they are not wasting taxpayer dollars on superfluous activities in doing so. Personally, I think this thread insults precision weapon builders, as if they can be casually replaced by less expensive COTS pieces that might shoot sub-moa occasionally.

As far as shooters being the weak link, that has nothing to do with the merits of durable, finely built and tuned precision weapons versus a weapon built with lesser standards. </div></div>

"Knowledge does not enter an open mouth"

Hi all,yes you can have a shooter staight out of a box but, you got to be able to shoot it.Then you want to improve on it so you get the action trued,custom barrel,trigger worked,custom stock etc.At what cost,here are some costing figures that were sent to me by a couple of gu builders here in Oz

(1)
" Hi Guy i am sorry for the delay to get back to you
I use Remington as they are easy to set up and i am geared that way
The Mc Millan stocks are hard to get how ever they do pop up on used guns under accessaries also HSS in Queensland sell them or you could order one yourself through Mc Millan $600 to$1200at a guess
I would suggest useing a Pacnor barrel as below but fluted 1 in 10 is good also 6 to 12 weeks from time of order $1000.00 custom chambered and fitted
I also would suggest my on ,ff muzzle brake if you are shooting game long distances $330 fitted
TRue, blueprint the action $200
Bedding job around $150
Tactical bolt knob $110
Donor 700 Remington rifle in stainless $1250up
Jewel trigger $420
Total $4260.00 estimate only
time would be on how long the stock would take and barrel lets say 3 months

(2)
We can build you one of our Tactical rifles in .300Win Mag no problems. We are now using Stiller Predator actions for all of our builds, and we would put together the rifle as follows:

-Stiller Predator action

-Krieger heavy stainless fluted 1 in 10” twist barrel, 28” long

-Manners MCS-T4A stock, pillar bedded

-Rifle Basix LV-1 match grade trigger

-Defensive Edge 3 port muzzle brake

You won’t have to supply any parts, and at this stage we are looking at a 3-4 month delivery from the date of order and deposit. The model I have just described is the Tactical line that we make, and these is only a limited amount we can change as far as features go. If you purchase a Nightforce scope and mounting hardware at the same time as the rifle, you will receive 25% off the scope and accessories.The rifle as described will set you back around $4100"

So i would know which way to go you would think.
It has answered my question

I'd like to see the new kid show at one of the next events and run his mouth. Apearently you havent looked around. There are poeple on here that know of what they speek. You on the other hand are proving what a fool you actualy are.

Moms calling you outta the basment for dinner now, run along.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well well well

While I've been at the 1,000 yard range looks like you girls have been getting your panties in a wad.

ranger, put the shadow box away, it wreaks of pity not pride and nobody gives a sh*t

creature, you are quite the piece... Your intimation that a bargain boom stick is just as good as a precision weapon (built by a reputable builder) is infantile and ludicrous

please stay on the porch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg3vdU-Y1wM&feature=related </div></div>
I think the problem is that whatever proficiency you may have, or whatever proficiency you may have learned to fake, it is the first time in your life that it's happened to you. As a result you are overcompensating for past inadequacies in a fashion that makes you socially unpleasant.

Someone like me, or I'm sure others here, have had success in other areas of life, and therefore success doesn't really feel like an accomplishment, it feels normal and regular and I don't remotely feel the need to tell anyone what I'm good at.

So there is a debate here about whether to go factory or custom, and of all the posters here you have produced no comments of value. You are supposedly a high level military dude and despite that didn't say anything that would influence the debate.

Very few people in the amateur long range community will ever get proficient at 1000 so spending $2000 on a system instead of $8,000 makes sense, particularly when the gun is going to be abused by a beginner anyway, and the custom features of an $8000 gun will likely end up being the wrong choice as a shooter gains skill and finds the type of shooting they want to do. Like giving a Ferrari to a teenager to learn to drive.

All,

This is a very entertaining thread. Seems there are notions galore about what will get the job done. My experience suggest most any rifle, unless it's broken, will always shoot a bullet in the direction it's pointed. Thing is, understanding where the barrel is pointed until recoil has subsided from a box stock rifle may be difficult, for multitude of cost related factors.

well, here goes my 2 cents,

As far as my experience goes, most respected brand (remington/savage/tikka...etc)sub $1k rifles are capable of reliable sub MOA goups under the right shooter. And some, will be able to achieve reliable 1/2 MOA groups with some light tweaking. Where custom rifle shines over factory, is the quality/durability of the materials and finish.

Personally, I never consider a straight out of the box factory rifle satisfactory (Except for the high ends, TRG etc). A re-crown,trigger work, bedstock bedding and some light polish of the chamber are the bare minimums to what I find necessary on a factory rifle before taking it to the range. Most factory rifles will perform very well after these cheap DIY clean-ups.

My believe is, that most rifles, factory or custom, with the right ammo will out perform most shooters including myself. Back in the days I used to run a 1942 Enfield as a deer gun in the woods of New Zealand. and I was happy that it was shooting 3moa. But with gradual familiarization of the rifle's characteristics and shot cycle, I was astonished to learn that the rifle was actually capable of sub moa.

Right now, I'm running a slightly tweaked Rem700 SPS-V, as well as a GAP7000. Both are averaging around .3MOA, but are built for different purposes. The SPS-V is for range/bench while the GAP7000 is more for field work.

I guess my answer to the initial post is, that the difference between a $1000 factory that can shoot MOA, and a $5000 custom that can shoot MOA is subtle. More importantly, is the understanding of the particular rifle by the shooter, and the marksmanship of the shooter to properly weld his rifle. My philosophy to new shooters are, spend 1/4 of your money on rifle, 1/4 on optics, and the remaining on ammo and range time. Put enough effort into understanding your rifle, and you'll be surprised at how much better it'll shoot.

My 2 cents,
Peace~

God Bless veterans (like Ranger), those that support all service members, and custom gun builders!

We still have the most kick-ass country on earth and for those of you that have "served" overseas you know what I am talking about. We are fortunate to still have the ability to buy custom guns.

For those of you that shoot IPSC or USPSA know the custom gun business. Is a Bedell custom 1911 better than a stock 1911 from Joe's Gun Store?? Ahh, hell yes. And worth every penny.

If this long range gun game had divisions, ie. open, limited, or production, you could easily see the difference in gun money spent.

I'm done. Thanks. And I will not apologize for my shadow box. I'm damn proud of it. It's who I am inside, not what I do now. A middle aged, overweight, chicken salesman.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skullandbones69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wonder what the difrences are between an out of the box rifle that shoots sub moa and a rifle of the same caliber thats a custom rifle but like 5000 dollars or more compared to a little over a 1000. if they both shoot sub moa groups then why pay that much? Is it just a rifle snob thing or what? </div></div>

Precision, Repeatability, Precision, Reliability, Precision, Quality of Fit and Finish, Precison, Shooter Confidence, Precision, Brotherhood, Precision. There is a pattern forming in my statement and one doesn't get all/any of those things from a factory rifle unless it is, to some degree, paid for. Even still, factory rifles are only capable of a small portion (if any) of the items in that statement. There's obviously a market for factory rifles and it's aimed particularly at those shooters that are serious enough to get involved, but lack the knowledge and/or skill to know the difference or skillful shooters that want to shoot it to death so they can resurrect it as a custom later on. Skillful shooters know what they're buying when they buy it.

The goal of the larger manufacturers is one thing. The Bottom Line. They (the larger manufacturers) typically couldn't care less what your (or anybodys) down range performance is. "This is the last thing they never discuss in the board room." They manufacture and offer rifles at a price that is attractive to the "consumer." In order to do this, the cost of their Bill of Materials (BOM) has to be low enough that the realized margins for the Board Members are high enough for them to pay for their Custom Rifles. This means that quality is never of great concern as is evident by looking at stocks and finishes offered on factory rifles. Most of the stocks are plastic and Remington is spraying black paint on the 870's now (there are exceptions to this, but such rifles still don't stack up to a custom). They do this because the "consumer" that lacks the sophistication to know the difference finds it acceptable.

Now let's look at Custom Rifles and the ones that are shooting them. The skill-set and level of knowledge amongst these shooters is significantly more refined than those that are satisfied with factory rifles. I speak to guys everyday that know what they want, why they want it and they understand the level of passion and commitment it takes to build a custom rifle. These guys know what down range performance is and how it's achieved. I also talk to guys that may not have such a vast knowledge base but have the interest and ability to learn.

The Custom Rifles are exactly that, "Custom." The cost of a Custom Rifle is directly proportional to all the things I mentioned in my opening statement and more. The components are far superior, but it's the tolerances and attention to detail that's paid for. There's a huge difference between making a barrel with a hammer (most factory barrels are hammer forged, this inludes the contour, rifling and chamber) and making a barrel with precision tools on machines that cost as much as your house. There's any number of custom actions, stocks, triggers, bottom metal, etc., but how it's all put together is what makes the difference. Looking at the websites of any of the custom builders on this forum will probably go a long way to answering your question, but the mere existence of this forum and others like it should be the most significant explaination of why customs are preferred.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skullandbones69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wonder what the difrences are between an out of the box rifle that shoots sub moa and a rifle of the same caliber thats a custom rifle but like 5000 dollars or more compared to a little over a 1000. if they both shoot sub moa groups then why pay that much? Is it just a rifle snob thing or what? </div></div>

Low Light himself has said many times that the smartest move is to buy a good out-of-the-box rifle, a good quality scope (Super Sniper scopes run from about $300 to about $800 for their top of the line HD version) and spend all the rest of your money on ammo and range time.

The greatest rifle in the world won't make a piss poor shooter any good. Practicing the fundementals correctly and spending lots of time on the range however, will make that same shooter very good.

I love custom rifles and am a bit of a snob about them. But buying a good solid shooter is the wisest choice I've made in a long time.

Good question and welcome to the Hide!
</div></div>There's your best answer right there, IMO.
Thanks for your service Ranger.
Silent X..."does not play well with others"...

I think there is a snob factor in it to a point. That does not mean that it is a better shooting rifle. Sure I would love a $10,000 rifle. But for now I will shoot the rifle I have and can afford. Once my skill level gets where I am better than the rifle I have now then I will look at moving up.
As my shooting coach says when I ask, "do you have to have all that gear that goes into shooting"? He says no, that he will not mind out shooting me in a match. The point is made.
If you want a sub moa rifle you can get it out of a box. If you are shooting once a month at 100y then about any rifle will do for you. If you are shooting every week out to a 1000y then a top end rifle will be better. It you are shooting for score and wanting to win matches then you would want to build a rifle to do that.
Would you enter a nascar race with a Pinto? No, you would get what was needed to win. If you are not shooting to win then it really don't matter what you shoot.

the day a mass production gun shoots better than my custom built BATS ill trade even. Any takers

</div></div>

I do, and the fact that you don't tells me 100% that you are not, nor ever have been a Operator in any capacity. And for the same reason, I know that you have not served in any Special Operations unit of any branch.

If you had, you would show respect and mutual admiration for his position and accomplishments.

For the record, the Ranger is correct, technically Delta is the only organization that should use the term Operator, as they are the ones that coined it. Something to keep in mind the next time you are trying to impress someone on the internet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

technically Delta is the only organization that should use the term Operator, as they are the ones that coined it. </div></div>

FWIW,... Not sure that is 100% correct, First time I ever heard it was circa 68,... USAF an Military intel
crazy.gif
describing round eye civie types in tiger strips, west of V/N.

I stand corrected. When Delta was in its infancy, the term was chosen by its command structure to refer to the members (at least thats what I was told), I guess I know where they got the idea from!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scooter-Pie,

Anyway,

As far as shooters being the weak link, that has nothing to do with the merits of durable, finely built and tuned precision weapons versus a weapon built with lesser standards. </div></div>

You're an arrogant ass. The hallmark of an internet commando Delta/Navy SEAL/"operator" is "I can't tell you what I've done, what I do, or where I've been."

There's <span style="font-style: italic">plenty</span> of sniper rifles that don't shoot sub MOA. That's a big deal only to benchrest shooters and keyboard commandos such as yourself. When the Corps issued out the M40A3 "Battle Club," yeah it shot sub MOA and was more accurate than the M40A1 it replaced. Guess what all of the 8541s wanted back? Their M40A1s.

Suggest you stop ruining good threads with your bragging and arrogance. Shitting all over someone who's got the balls to actually put forth their experience when you lie and hide behind OPSEC/PERSEC is pussy. If you are a professional act like one and act like a grown man.