• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SUB SONIC AMMO?

hunterlewis

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2023
LA
Just getting started with Savage bolt 22 with suppressor. Suggestions for subsonic varmint ammo?

Almost all standard velocity match ammo is subsonic so choose the most accurate ammo in your rifle through testing. My Savage does well with SK pistol match, Pistol match special and eley club

Subsonic CCI quiet rounds are literally Hollywood quiet through all my suppressors…. Won’t cycle my 10/22s, but work great in a bolt gun.

very low velocity though…like, ballistics of a thrown rock slow. I wouldn’t take ‘em out very far…depending on the game you’re going after.

Yesterday tried some CCI Subsonic 45gr. HP designated for Suppressor and was amazed how with its accuracy out at 50yds as it put a nice ragged one hole with group sized under 1/2". Not as quiet as the CCI Quiet but good enough to kill critters in the back yard. Most of the subsonic ammo don't really inhibit as much accuracy so I need to make that first shot count. FWIW using a Bergara BMR Carbon with Occulus.

Any match grade ammo. SK, Lapua, Eley, RWS
CCI standard

They kill the same. Don't need segmented solid trash. Don't need 2 ammo types to zero a gun.

Shoot what's accurate
You might want to try it as the critters I've killed with segmented took a dirt nap much quicker but is hard to find in my area. They are very accurate out to 25 yards as that is all the distance I need. I use these exclusively on skunks in my back yard and the last one splattered brain matter but didn't spray. Only ammo I tried that works this way. The other skunks still had reflexes from standard non HP and sprayed out so won't use them. I tend to save my good ammo to feed my match rifles.

Eley SS HP.
Designated SS ammo is loaded to be well under the transonic threshold. No surprises. The Eley SS HP expands and kills well.

Another very good one for larger critters is the Aguila 60 grain SSS load. Not all rifkes will stabilize it.

You might want to try it as the critters I've killed with segmented took a dirt nap much quicker but is hard to find in my area. They are very accurate out to 25 yards as that is all the distance I need. I use these exclusively on skunks in my back yard and the last one splattered brain matter but didn't spray. Only ammo I tried that works this way. The other skunks still had reflexes from standard non HP and sprayed out so won't use them. I tend to save my good ammo to feed my match rifles.
Shoot Skunks in the lungs, not the head. Less chance of a involuntary spray.

CCI subsonic segmented HP's for me. These are the 1050 fps version, not the Quiet at something like 710 fps. The 1050s are pretty quiet out of my Henry golden boy with 20" bbl, no suppressor. Squirrels, coons, crows and possums DRT.

I bought a ton of Winchester 42gr power point subs when they were closing them out, they shoot very good out of my Tikka and hit hard.
Killed a lot of racoons with them.

CCI subsonic segmented HP's for me. These are the 1050 fps version, not the Quiet at something like 710 fps. The 1050s are pretty quiet out of my Henry golden boy with 20" bbl, no suppressor. Squirrels, coons, crows and possums DRT.
Same here... Got a brick or 2 of those 1050 SHP's. Works great in my CA Ranger 22 with my Mask HD. My rifle really likes the CCI SV for targets. Shoots sub-MOA at 100 yards, and even a few sub-MOA groups at 200 yards, but not very often does everything fall into place for those to happen. The slightest breeze will throw your .22LR shots at 200.

I also have a brick of the 710 FPS version of the CCI SHP's, but they're SLOOOOOW. Super close-range stuff, but you literally only hear the FP drop...It sounds like a BB gun. You could shoot things in your backyard with your neighbors standing outside on their porch, and nobody would hear anything.

Reactions: mtrmn
+1

I use them on prairie dogs and Richardson ground squirrels. Longest kill on a pdog was ~130yds but I walked that in for sure (windy as heck). I think, for me, 70-80 yds is max for an ok chance at a one-shot kill on those tiny Richardson’s in windy field conditions with a Kidd Supergrade.

I did find that on REALLY big pdogs I would sometimes get some crawl-offs going down holes if I didn’t peg them in the head. This was at 30-50yds, and happened only during one outing with these ginormous pdogs. The will to live was strong with that brood.

For suppression I use half of a Rugged Oculus and it’s very quiet and keeps the rifle very short.

I have a brick of the 710fps version and sometimes I can see them arc towards the target. I’ve never used them on anything living and am confused on their use case.