• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sub-sonic?

Cserv

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
wherever I may roam...
I've read mention of sub-sonic .22 rounds. Are they the same size as the .22 lr or are they the .22 shorts? Only asking 'cause I have an OLD J.C Higgins that says short, long, and long rifle on the barrel. will I be able to fire the shorts with descent accuracy? Any info appreciated. Thanks.
Eric

Re: Sub-sonic?

pretty much all .22lr manuf's have subsonic rounds. they range from 38gr all the way up to the Aguila SSS @ 60gr.

if you wanna try some decent ones out, on the cheap...buy a brick of Aguila 40gr sub's...

and i'd suggest against the rem's....rem rimfire ammo is complete crap

Strangely, my Mk II loves Remington Subs and Fiocchi subs. Get just as good groups as with Wolf out of it...

The key with *any* 22 is to try a box of everything you can get your hands on and wouldn't mind buying more of - eg don't bother with Ely black box if you aren't willing to pay $14/box on a regular basis. When you find something with the price/performance ratio you want, buy as much of it as you can.

Stubby shorts can work in a LR gun (or one marked S/L/LR, etc) as far as chambering and firing. However, the bullet will have some free travel before engaging the rifling which may or may not help accuracy. Also, if you shoot a LOT of them and then shoot some LR, the LR may have troubles chambering or extracting due to build up at the end of the chamber from the shorts.

^ excellent answer and tip about the build up!

just to add the subsonic round is usually the same size casing, bullet, etc. except for the aguila SSS 60 grainer. just the powder and/or primer charge is reduced. think of it as the managed recoil kinda thing that remington has going on with the centerfire stuff.

like ivan eluded, the "shorts" are a different animal than long rifle subsonics. look up CCI cb short ammo.

they do make a cb long rifle, which are basically cb shorts in a longer casing to get rid of that whole build up issue.

The CCI segmented HP subs are top notch,the function my 10/22 very reliably,had a lot of problems with the Rem subs not ejecting.If you want very,very quiet and close range with a suppressor,try the CB longs,on a 10/22,I have to function it manually.I have not tried the Aguilla 60gr as I don't have a 1:9 twist barrel.

went to a gun show this morning and picked up some subs. Got a few boxes of Aguila/Eley prime 40gr. subs at 3.50 a box. And also some Aguila Golden Eagle Eley prime 40gr. subs for 4.50 a box. Thought I'd grab a few that I don't see at the local shops and give it a try. Will get to the range w/ them tomorrow. Anyone use this ammo? Opinions? Thanks.
Eric

Definitely a different animal. Kinda cool watching them go down range @ a 100yds. you can see the arc. Are they more consistent? Or should I consider weighing to get a little more? I think they shot better than the HV's. But still figuring it out.
Eric

I've used the Aguila Golden Eagle and had good success with it. I believe Top Predator has used this particular round quite a bit with very good success. Perhaps he'll see this and give us his thoughts on it.

It is rather interesting to see your bullet arch into your target. Don't let this fool you on the accuracy of these subsonic rounds. The accuracy is there - no doubt about it. Experiment with a few or several brands and see which one works best for your rifle.
smile.gif

i really like the aguila golden eagle rifle match, and they probably would be even better performing through a better platform than my mkII. to me, they don't perform as well as the wolf or sk match ammos, however the aguila is about half the price, which allows me to do alot more of quality shooting affordably. if i was benchrest shooting at 50 yards in competition, i would probably use the wolf / sk / rws / lapua ammos, as you do get what you pay for with these.

the only "untweeked" rifle that i have experience with that shoots both hv and sub /sv ammos equally well is a cz 452 bull barrel.

i think that just as joe said, you have to spend a little up front to see what works the best through your setup for the kind of shooting you want to do and for your budget, then buy a whole lot of it.

i have an old stevens botl action "sears" rifle that loves the shorts, and is what i use to take care of critters around the house. at 75 yards, they are pretty much useless, at least through that rifle.

i like the subssonic / match ammo for paper at all ranges, as it just seems more consistant throughout all those ranges and any of the subssonic / match ammos i've tried (except rem subsonics past 75 yards) never had too many of the "wild" flyers i have gotten with HV. seems that when a HV goes astray, it really goes astray. i have had some good groups with cci blazer, a HV ammo, just not as good as using the standard (or under) velocity ammos.

Cserv, check out some of the targets posted in the rimfire comp threads and take note of the ammo / rifle used. they may give you some more food for thought on either side of the HV vs. SV vs. SS fence.

in the end, i have more confidence in the performance / consistancy of standard / match / subsonic velocity ammo.

How well do the subs perform on critters? What are the critter size and range limits? I agree, that what I've seen so far, they are more accurate and the fliers are not as bad as the HV's. As stated when the HV's fly, they fly! Thanks again,
Eric

ive used aguila 40 gr subsonics on squirrels for years with my MKII through a can. never had one get away and with the can screwed on i can shoot a couple squirrels out of the same tree. i dig 'em. to be fair ive never tried the 38gr HP's but i just ordered some to check out. never had a problem with small game and a solid point 22lr though.

i guess you could get that "accurizer" thing and hollow point a bunch of 40grns to test out, i hear it works... but i'm too cheap.
wink.gif

i can't add anything on critters with the match / subsonic / standard velocity ammo, i reserve that stuff for paper where i want a bit more precision. most of the stuff i took with .22lr was with HV, from deer (legally culling - shot placement at short range #1) to squirrel with no real problems

the shorts that i did use on stuff around the house from 10 to 30 yards have hollowpoints, and take down skunk, raccoon, feral cats, etc. and does it quietly.

trying the accurizer type tools is my next "thing", i being cheap also have to save my dimes and nickels a few more months before i get one.