• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic 300 Blackout with H110

jstrong

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2013
Does anybody have a successful load for subsonic 300 blackout using H110? I'll be using a pistol length gas system on an AR. The Hodgdon website has a suggested load, but from what I've read, it won't cycle the gun, so if anybody has got something that might work, please let me know. Also, I'm pretty new to reloading, and while I work on developing a load, I'm worried I'll get a squib, so if you have any suggestions to avoid that, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

From what I've gathered from various sources, H110 is good for lighter bullets and supersonic, and AA1680 is the recommended subsonic powder. I played around a bit and this seems to be the case for my 8.5" upper, so I'm curious to see what you find.

You can probably get it to go bang...but 110 is heavily deterrent coated and will probably leave a lot of debris in the barrel (and possibly gas system) with light loads. JMHO

10gr of H110 with a 220smk at an OAL of 2.080" runs like a champ in my 9". I'm quite certain this is the same load Southwest uses as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

10gr of H110 with a 220smk at an OAL of 2.080" runs like a champ in my 9". I'm quite certain this is the same load Southwest uses as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

H110 is great for full house loads but the manufacturer advises against reduced loads with this powder (same for W296).

That being said, if you use the very heavy and long bullets (200-220) loaded to AR15 magazine length, a subsonic charge of H110 is not that much reduced due to the decreased case volume and the mass of the bullet. Still not the ideal powder IMO.

If you want to shoot mid weight bullets (150-168) as well as the heavies, Lil'gun works well and even better for gas guns is AA1680.

Last edited:
Thanks for the load data and advice. I'd really like to get my hands on some 1680, but until I can find some, I'm going to have to see if I can get the H110 to work.

Thanks again!

Reactions: archerforkids
I have used H110 for supersonic loads in my 300 whisper loaded with 155 a-max (15.0 gr). Shot a few deer with it and it seems to be a great deer load. For subsonic I experimented with H4227 and have decent results. Here is what I found with a 16" barrel and 220gr. sierra round nose, OAL was 2.16.

10.0 gr. = 885, 803, 969 fps. extreme spread was horrible.
11.0 gr. = 1010, 1082
11.5 gr. = 1151, 1144
12.0 gr. = 1170, 1187, 1174, 1203

I loaded a few with 10.5gr and havent had a chance to chronograph them, but the will cycle the gun perfectly. They are not compressed charges, but you can barely hear the powder shake inside the case.

Reactions: Horuskills
H110 seems to be pretty inconsistent with subs and the velocity change with temperature change is bigger than a lot of the others. We use 2400 for most of the subsonic loads and it works great.

Frank

220gr SMK over 10.9gr of A1680 works for me.... Sometimes... My 16" middy doesn't like them much. 10.9 won't cycle. 11.2 will, but then they're a bit on the fast side.

I haven't gotten a chance to shoot them through something shorter or with a suppressor. I assume the shorter gas system and/or added pressure from the can will help with cycling.

Honestly if you can get some 4227 you'll like that better than 1680 or h110. I found it to work really, really well in supersonics with 147 m80 rounds, and 208 bthp and amax rounds. I compared the 1680 to 4227 side by side as well in my 8.5" gun with SDN6 suppressor and the 1680 was noticeably louder going the exact same speed.

Honestly if you can get some 4227 you'll like that better than 1680 or h110. I found it to work really, really well in supersonics with 147 m80 rounds, and 208 bthp and amax rounds. I compared the 1680 to 4227 side by side as well in my 8.5" gun with SDN6 suppressor and the 1680 was noticeably louder going the exact same speed.

I'm confused how the powder would make the sound louder if they're going the same speed with same bullet ?
Care to elaborate, I'm just starting to reload for 300blk and would like to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm confused how the powder would make the sound louder if they're going the same speed with same bullet ?
Care to elaborate, I'm just starting to reload for 300blk and would like to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious too. Shouldn't pressure and velocity be the only two things that cause noise?

I'll be completely honest I have no idea why it's louder with 1680. I chronod both rounds and are both right at 1050 Fps. But it's definitely audible when you shoot them side by side. Wish I could be more scientific with that.

If you have a pistol length gas system then a no brainer easy accuracy load is a 220 Sierra and 8.4 grains of Lil Gun. A 208 Amax with 7.9 will work also. Make sure you have a nice amount of neck tension, like .0025-.003. Super accurate in every 300 I have tried

Thanks for the load data and advice. I'd really like to get my hands on some 1680, but until I can find some, I'm going to have to see if I can get the H110 to work.

Thanks again!
Just picked up a lb of 300 Blk for my first subs. No 1680 in my AO either. For grins, I loaded 10.3-10.9 and had no problems at all. I could have tried some W296, but I try to stick with what's recommended by the powder manufacturer.

At 2.247 (with very slight variation on the press) fed find even with loading 30 rounds into a Gen 2 PMAG for me. Shot about 300 this weekend.

Hodgdon's load data for H4189, H110, Lil-Gun powders (not that I'm using those powders) with A-Max 208's actually lists 2.26" as the OAL which is the max SAAMI spec.

The last batch I did (with A1680) was 2.22" if my memory serves. They're both REALLY close to the front of the mag but fed fine. FPS difference was minimal. I'm going to start messing with OAL for accuracy next and see what works best for my gun.