• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic Expanding .300 Blackout Speer bullets

A subsonic 300 blk is a great round for a new shooter as well as a 22lr standard velocity with cans.

Noise and recoil removed it is easier to teach them.

Hunting, not disturbing cattle horses game or pissy neabors is a viable consideration at times.

It’s down the road a bit, but I have a Krieger 1:7 rem varm that will soon be chambered in 300 BO for a bolt gun, pending test Results.
I have a couple gas options now. I’m going to be testing the Tubb Nose ring tool for the Sierra 220 to see what happens in gel. Probably not ideal for harvesting game due to the frangible effect it has. But good for critter control.

I already tested some 103 Vapor Trail 6mm bullets in gel and the rounds borderline explode with a .085” cut. I can go to .105” and still not to the lead core. My goal with the 6mm was to have the round enter and not exit. It was almost there at .085”.
The 6mm rounds are traveling much faster, but none the less will be interesting to see how the 220gr does. This is just for fun on my end but this thread peaked my interest so I thought I’d chime in.
I want to pop critters 100-150yds at night without disturbing my neighbors. Using what components I have already.

Attachments

• IMG_8885.jpeg
    IMG_8885.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8882.jpeg
    IMG_8882.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8878.jpeg
    IMG_8878.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 19
Ground hog, raccoon, the occasion fox or coyote attempting to eat my flock.

Try the Sierra 110 grain pro vatminters at 1060 fps. I've had good success with it. I'm using 5.3 grains of Trail Boss which you can't get anymore so when that's gone I'll need to find another powder.

Last edited:
Try the Sierra 110 grain pro vatminters at 1015 fps. I've had good success with it. I'm using 5.3 grains of Trail Boss which you can't get anymore so when that's gone I'll need to find another powder.
I didn’t know you could get the light rounds to travel that slow. I know trail boss is long gone. Do you know of some viable alternates that are available?

So a report on my 190g Hornady sub-x loaded per Hodgdon recipe with cfeblk.

Front quartering shot.
In the front of one shoulder out behind the other shoulder.

Exit barely touched the rear of front quarter and no bones were hit.

shot was at 80 yards and about 2 inches higher than wanted.

The buck (corkscrew) was # 2 on the hit list was still in velvet and really solid larger bodyweight than average.

Exit wound was 1/2 inch plus and it cut the top of the heart off at the aorta .

When my son got to the site where the buck was shot there was not any blood trail at all he called me. He had heard the thud of impact so I was not worried.

His wife brought the pickup and evidently the new tracking dog. The dog found the buck 20 yards away.

It had completely bled out internally.

Size of exit wound showed good expansion considering how little flesh it passed through.
FB_IMG_1699882873486.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Eo12 and mike_srt4
The few times I’ve hunted with subs, I’ve set up just like I was bow hunting. It’s just a cheap Ruger American Ranch but shoots well. Shot the doe last year at around 20 yards. Heart shot. There was a smaller doe right beside her that just stood there after the shot. So quite with 200 grain Makers, Titegroup, and the Ultra 7 you can hear the bullet strike flesh.
What's your load with TiteGroup?

Reactions: mike_srt4
An alternative for subsonic loads is 4.0-4.5 gr of Red Dot under a 110 gr. This is incredibly quiet. Think 22 LR subsonic quiet. Red Dot is a fluffy, very fast burning powder. It absolutely will not cycle an AR.

Other very fast, fluffy pistol powders can be used. Bullseye is another example. The nice thing about these powders is that they are easy to ignite and provide better case fill than a typical pistol ball powder. They are less prone to detonation or position sensitivity given the low percentage of case filling.

DO NOT overcharge, or double charge, a rifle case with these fast burning powders. You will blow something up!!!

Depending on the bullet, I don't think you will get much, if any expansion.

Of note, work DOWN to a load like this. If the load is too slow, you can have a stuck bullet.

Also, mike_SRT4,
If you can find them, my original bullet was the Speer 110 gr hollow point. For what you described this bullet would be perfect. Even at 200yds the nose would flatten out a little and not exit many groundhogs if I could hit them. I'd heard they were out of production.

I'm currently using 5.7gr of Longshot with 200gr bullets. It's pretty quiet. I would like to find a another small charge to compare it to because I wonder if sound comes down to just using small charges or is one small charge powder inherently quieter than all the rest? That's kind of what I would like to compare.

While using a suppressor I can't tell any difference if the speed is about the same.

With the 200 grain Maker Rex-2, I use 6.8 grains of Titegroup. This is in Lake City brass with CCI 400’s.

With the 194 LeHigh Max Expansion bullets I use 6.5 grains of Titegroup.

They are both moving around 1000 fps. Hope this helps.
Sounds like it's not too different from Longshot. I'm at 7.2gr with the 200gr Makers

Reactions: Guns&WhiteWater
Thanks for sharing. I'm currently loading 11.8gr of CFEBLK with the 200 Makers with great accuracy and 1015 fps. But I'm going to try Titegroup now to see if I can hear a difference in the report.

I found a few thousand new 300 BO cases in my shop today. I probably shoot 20 rounds of it a year, so it should keep me a while. No idea what I am going to do with them, though. I have tons of the Barnes loaded up, and for subs I usually just load up heavy 30 cal bullets I've decided not to use elsewhere.
If you still have not used the 300BO cases I would be interest. Live in rural AZ and don't have many opportunity's to shop.

What’s the advantage of hunting with subsonic ammo? It’s never made sense to me when supersonic is an option. It seems like you’re handicapping yourself for no reason. Just looking for some rationale that I may be missing.
You can suppress and shoot five pigs instead of one unsuppressed.

You can suppress and shoot five pigs instead of one unsuppressed.
Not sure who told you that 🤣
Have you hog hunted? No offense but this sounds like naive theory. Definitely not my experience.

Thank you for the back handed insult. Yes, not your "experience". I am sure it is extensive. We are jsut Hillbilly Veterans night hunting with NVG's and Thermals. Yes, it is possible. I am sure it is not be as perfect as the shots you always make. After the first one it gets a little frenetic. That would be Fast and Furious for your dialect. One of our better shooters did even more than I did at almost twice the range. Either way I hope you fun the next time to get to hunt. Enjoy!