• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonice 308 with 168 gr. and H4895

polarcow

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2004
North Carolina
Did a search and didn't find much. I know this is very specific but I am trying to use the same bullet/powder combo that shoots best in my rifle now, just loaded down to subsonic speeds. So, anyone have any experience with 168 gr bullets and h4895 trying to stay subsonic? I do not have access to a chronograph (yet). Thanks for any info.

-polarcow

Re: Subsonice 308 with 168 gr. and H4895

Go to the Hodgdon's website and check out their loading data for Trail Boss powder. Very bulky pistol powder primarily intended for what were originally black powder rounds (45 Long Colt, 44/40, etc.), but seems to have some good application in subsonic loadings of modern centerfire cases as well.

And no, the only way to do a subsonic load with 4895 and a 168, is to shoot it at 1,000 yards. It'll be subsonic when it gets there. You need a much faster powder for this application.

Hope that helps.

Well in that case, what are your guys favorite powders/loads for subsonic 168 grn. bullets? or is everyone using heavier rounds?

Trailboss is pretty much the go to poweder for subs in a .308 I would also suggest stepping up to the 180gr Hornady round nose, 175SMK etc. The heavies tend to do better as subs.