• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors sudden loss of accuracy w/7.62-sd

Captain Moroni

Well armed easily annoyed
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2007
Pocatello ID
www.highdeserttactical.us
I have a AAC 7.62 I got it in Dec. lately it shoots about 1.5" @100 yards when I take it off I get 1/2" or better.
When I first got it I had a bullet strike on the end cap but not the baffels. I didnt have it screwed down all the way I guess you are supposed to put a bit of oil on the spring the first time, it would have been nice if the instructions said somthing about it but that is not the reason of this post as it shot fine for a while.

Any idea's?

Re: sudden loss of accuracy w/7.62-sd

why guess?? Just send it in to AAC and let them figure it out. That way you don't void out any warranties if any. Thats what I would do.

Yep, had a similar issue but a much smaller impact with a Cyclone.. At 300 I went from 1" 5 shot groups to about 1.5-2". I cleaned the hell out of the can using simple green and then another dunk with the 50/50 ATF and mineral spirits (this worked best) mix. Seemed to help. Might give it a soak for 24-36 hrs, then rinse (hot water), and air compressor it dry cleaning method. More will break loose after you fire it, so fire about 10 rounds then pull and see if any carbon falls out. If that fails, call AAC. Mers said it was possible it needed cleaning but that it was uncommon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a AAC 7.62 I got it in Dec. lately it shoots about 1.5" @100 yards when I take it off I get 1/2" or better.
When I first got it I had a bullet strike on the end cap but not the baffels. I didnt have it screwed down all the way I guess you are supposed to put a bit of oil on the spring the first time, it would have been nice if the instructions said somthing about it but that is not the reason of this post as it shot fine for a while.

Any idea's? </div></div>

Did the rifle ever shoot a 1/2" group with the can on?

my crusader shoots dime size groups at 100 yards with the 762SD on. I have never heard of a 762SD not performing. Your first mistake was not tightening down the can all the way and no, do not put oil on the muzzle device it can make it easy for the can to back off the threads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a AAC 7.62 I got it in Dec. lately it shoots about 1.5" @100 yards when I take it off I get 1/2" or better.

Any idea's? </div></div>

Did the rifle ever shoot a 1/2" group with the can on? </div></div>

yes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my crusader shoots dime size groups at 100 yards with the 762SD on. I have never heard of a 762SD not performing. Your first mistake was not tightening down the can all the way and no, do not put oil on the muzzle device it can make it easy for the can to back off the threads. </div></div>

The guy at Polite Society (Mark?) told me to put just a couple drops on the spring and after that it whent on. I could not turn it down any more and when I did get it on with the oil there was sharp metal shavings inside the can around the threads.

Yes it has happened before. To me. I was sub moa with my .308 w/o the can. After attachment I had variables from 2 in poi shift to (no shit) 4.5 feet of impact change. some ever so slight contact with the endcap, no baffle damage. Called, sent it back, returned, no issues. AAC took care of it no hassles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The guy at Polite Society (Mark?) told me to put just a couple drops on the spring and after that it whent on. I could not turn it down any more and when I did get it on with the oil there was sharp metal shavings inside the can around the threads. </div></div>

Yep, I remember that. Some of the 762-SD springs are VERY tight when new. That isn't a bad thing though. The drop or two of oil on the mount will burn off after a few shots and in my personal experience won't loosen the suppressor. Again, the reason here to use the oil was because it was so TIGHT to begin with.
wink.gif
You won't need the oil after a couple times on and off.

Mark

I have an email in to AAC, no replie yet. I cleaned some of the carbon out of it and it looks like one of the center baffles is eroded but the one in front of it and the one behind it is fine. Could I have had a baffle strike on one baffle and not the rest? The damage was not there after the first shot that hit the end cap I looked it over very carefully after that one shot.

Join up over at silencertalk.com. Post over in the AAC subforum. I know they are super busy right now. Mike Mers (1arnewbie is his screen name) works for AAC and will help you out.

just fired my 7.62 SD for the first time got a bullet strike on the the front cap my very first shot there is nothing wrong with my loads the can was not loose whats going on Tucker do you think that AAC knows that there could be a problem with the SD I am using the black out three prong does any one else have a problem with this combo.

Sandsniper, sounds to me like your threads aren't concentric to the bore.... Did you at least visually check center before you fired?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Code</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sandsniper, sounds to me like your threads aren't concentric to the bore.... Did you at least visually check center before you fired? </div></div>

My first thought too.

Who threaded the barrel?

I have a clean aac 7.62sd (no baffle strikes) and can tell you that I have better accuracy without it. Shooting a UGSW .260 24" 140 amax ~2850 fps.