• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes suggest quality eye pro while behind quality glass

Smokerroller

Si vic pacem, Para bellum
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Sheridan, WY
I need some new eye protection while shooting. I am looking through up to 3k dollar optics and want some safety glasses that won't detract from what I paid for. What do you guys recommend? Brands, lense colors, coatings? My first thought were another Oakley product but I thought I would see if there was more to consider. Thanks.

Smith Optics Elite. Ageis Echo is a great pair if safety is priority. These work great with muffs if that is your preferred ear pro.They are rated better than anzi z87.1 spec.

If you want to be stylish then anything from their Elite sunglasses line would do well. I have a small face so I wear the directors and hudson. After wearing their stuff I'm never going to by from Oakley again.

Oh and I would stick with non-polarized when using precision optics. No big deal when using red dots, but if you want to get the benefit of great glass.....stick with non-polarized.

ESS - Eye Safety Systems can be found at ESS Eye Pro - Ballistic Goggles - Ballistic Sunglasses - Military Eyewear - Eye Protection – Shooting Glasses

Standard military equipment. Lenses are Mil-Spec and ANSI rated and can take a 12 gauge #6 blast from 10 meters and it simply dimples the lens.
Lens colors range from clear, yellow, grey, hi-def bronze, hi-def copper, polarized and photochromic. Frames are traditional, Bow-type (similar to Oakley, because they are owned by Oakley) and ICE which has temples only and no cross frame to hinder vision. Prices range from $50 - $190 or there a bouts. Multi-frame and multi-lens kits are also available.

If you need prescription, ESS has their own ANSI lab and they can handle those orders through their website as well.

I don't work for ESS, but am one of their sponsored shooters. I was using their stuff long before they came on board, and would not recommend it if I did not believe in it.

Jim Webster
2013 NY State F-T/R Champion

I was going to say the Smith Aegis Echo. I recently got a pair and I cannot get over how nice they are. They are more or less on a par with my RE glasses they just don't look as classy but I can wear them with my earpro without messing anything up which is nice with large caliber rifles. For function I would put them over Oakley's, for style, well, I look like the helmsman from NextGen if I put in the grey lenses.

Liquid Eyewear builds ANSI certified glasses that are optically free of distortion(s) often found in other glasses. They are 100% made in the USA and they offer a Mil/LEO discount.

liquideyewear.com

Check out ESS. Lightweight, no distortion, wide variety of styles. One of the Crossbow series has thin temple pieces so that they're very comfortable under ear pro. I have them and they are comfortable. Some of the lenses/styles are rated as military ballistic eye pro. Last, but not least, you can pm NOMAD and get a 40% off code. What's not to like?

From everything I've read up on, Oakley has the best lenses and about a 400 patents to back it up. I've been using the G26 in the Radar for quite a while, and just switched over to the Flack Jacket w/ Oakleys new TR Prizm lens. I bought the Array w/ the TR 22 TR 45 and clear lens. I had my Radars ran over by a car, the lenses did get bent in 1/2 but the frames were 100% A-OKAY.

spyieLe.jpg

kaZTOgj.jpg

ESS - Eye Safety Systems can be found at ESS Eye Pro - Ballistic Goggles - Ballistic Sunglasses - Military Eyewear - Eye Protection – Shooting Glasses

Standard military equipment. Lenses are Mil-Spec and ANSI rated and can take a 12 gauge #6 blast from 10 meters and it simply dimples the lens.
Lens colors range from clear, yellow, grey, hi-def bronze, hi-def copper, polarized and photochromic. Frames are traditional, Bow-type (similar to Oakley, because they are owned by Oakley) and ICE which has temples only and no cross frame to hinder vision. Prices range from $50 - $190 or there a bouts. Multi-frame and multi-lens kits are also available.

If you need prescription, ESS has their own ANSI lab and they can handle those orders through their website as well.

I don't work for ESS, but am one of their sponsored shooters. I was using their stuff long before they came on board, and would not recommend it if I did not believe in it.

Jim Webster
2013 NY State F-T/R Champion

At what range and with what load can they take a shotgun blast?

Look at Smith Optics Pivlock v2 Tactical or Max Tactical. They have large lenses and they don't have a top frame that may interfere with prone vision. Optically they are very nice with little distortion and interchangeable lenses.

Edge

I prefer Rudy Project. I've found their quality to a good deal better than Oakely.

I have a pair from Rudy Project that are very nice. The ImpactX lenses are supposed to be made from material used in AH-64 windscreens... you know that means they are legit! haha

You can easily find coupons online and use them on top of sale prices.

See link below, comes with ImpactX, on sale at $89, normally these are $249. I paid $110 or so for this same model around Christmas (dang they are a great deal now).

NOYZ GRAPHITE FRAME WITH IMPACTX PHOTOCHROMIC CLEAR LENSES

Damn.....am I the only one still wearing Wiley-X?

How well do any of these resist scratching. I've tried some "highly recommended" brands, and yes there were stylish, comfortable and pricey - but would scratch just as easy as anything else. With optics it's not that big of a deal, but with irons even a lightest scratch will just drive you crazy and ruin a whole match.

I gave up since then and just buy bulk packs of industrial safety glasses @ $.50/ea - open fresh pack at the match, shoot, discard.

So, do any of these high-end glasses offer better scratch resistance, or you are just paying out of the ass for the same polycarbonate scratch magnet crap?

Bought a set of Decot HiWyd glasses at SHOT a couple of years ago. Like them better than any of the Wiley's or other brands I've tried over the past 30yrs.

Thanks for all the info guys I didn't know there were so many options. I have looked into all of the suggestions. I have a narrow face and being able to try on new shades is a requirement. They will also be my "Goin to town" sunglasses. I have a $20 off card for sunglasses hut so may see what they have in store from what you all recommended. I would like a set that has multiple different lenses so suit the shooting conditions. They will not be prescription. Thanks.

At what range and with what load can they take a shotgun blast?

Doc68,

Quote Originally Posted by jweb308 View Post

When I started wearing them about 4 years ago they was an add on their site that that showed the lens they had shot. That photo is not currently posted, but you can read several military testimonials at this link.
Testimonials - ESS Eye Pro - Ballistic Goggles - Ballistic Sunglasses - Military Eyewear - Eye Protection – Shooting Glasses

You can also watch the ESS Military test at this link.
ESS Impact Testing - U.S. Mil Spec vs. ANSI vs. no protection (HD Version) - YouTube

Hope that helps.

Stay safe,
WEB

Any new info, updates, sales? I'm looking for a set of prescription bifocal sunglasses, relatively dark lenses. Optomotrist has some Wiley-X that I tried and liked the style, but it worked out to about $450 bucks for a pair. I'm concerned about scratches on the plastic lenses as well. Thanks for your suggestions/feedback/ AND links to Deals ;)

wraparound style..durable of course....shatterproof lenses...

Not MIL/LEO so cant go that route for a discount.

Last edited: