• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Suggested velocity for 69gr SMK?

SABuzzard

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2011
San Antonio, TX
What velocity (range) would you guys recommend for 500/600 yard shooting with a 223 and 69gr SMKs? It's a 26" 1:9 barrel. I've got a light load performing exceptionally well at 100, but it's only just hitting 2,700 fps. Before I start an OCW test at distance I wanted to make sure I was in the right velocity range. Thoughts?

The highest safe velocity you can obtain with your barrel length and shoot accurately. Velocity is your friend, but a higher bc bullet would help you more.

You should be able to get something closer to 2900FPS or perhaps even more from a 26 inch barrel.

Reloading manuals, they are a good place to start, buy one.

My Lyman 49th shows high 2900s to low 3000s out of a 24" barrel with pretty much every powder.

Ok - I didn't do a good job asking the question. I knew I could safely get the velocity up, just didn't know if there was a sweet spot for accuracy at distance or of others had found something that worked for the 69 SMK in particular. I'll work up and start looking for accuracy.

What I started with is a light load as listed in several manuels.

I load 26.2 gr of W748 and it clocks 2947(average) out of a 20" Krieger 1-9. 69 SMK +7 1/2 Rem BR + LC
A great 600 yd load. Very accurate!

The 69smk is not going to be your best friend at 600. ..The bc is pretty low and even at 3000fps, the wind is going to push it around a lot. If you are going to shoot a 1:9 twist, I'd recommend shooting the 75 VLD and keep speeding it up until it stabilizes.

You are limited by barrel twist but I would try the Hornady 75s and see how they work from 9" twist.

Other than that I would shoot for 3000 fps from 69s

Varget, H4895, N530, N140 powders will get you there

Im sure he meant BTHP 75's. They are pretty much comperable to the 77g SMK loaded to Mag lenth. You may have issues spinning the 75/77's with only 1:9 but only testing can tell. If you get any keyholing or oblong holes in the paper then the bullet is too long for your twist rate and you'll have to stick to the 69's.

I do not have direct experience and it does not address the questions directly, but if you are okay with single feeding, you may get the 75 Amax to work in your rifle, espeically at high velocity allowed by your long barrel.

9 twist and 75 A-max is questionable. Some lot #s will stabilize and some lot #s will not. I've had great luck with 75 JLKs stabilizing out of a 9 twist 70 HBV. 70 or 75 Berger VLDs should work fine also. 77 or 75 BTHPs from a 9 twist have not given me any issue.

69s from a bolt rifle you should be able to find a node in the 2950 to 3050 fps range.

What rifle are you running? AR or bolt rifle? Chamber or an OAL to touch lands would be most helpful also.

I see the Hornady 68 grn hpts have a higher B.C. Is that a true B.C.? My 1-9 barrel runs them alot better than the Sierras and if the BC is better would they be theoretically better? I see they have the "new AMP" jacket and they are far better than the old 68s they used to put out...

BTW, Im running a 16" AR and my velocity is 2550ish and 600yds is feasable altho i will admit it would be better if i would match prep my brass.

What velocity (range) would you guys recommend for 500/600 yard shooting with a 223 and 69gr SMKs? It's a 26" 1:9 barrel. I've got a light load performing exceptionally well at 100, but it's only just hitting 2,700 fps. Before I start an OCW test at distance I wanted to make sure I was in the right velocity range. Thoughts?
What is exceptionally well? I have two .308 loads one 168 smk [MENTION=16695]244[/MENTION]7 (.5moa) and horn hpbt @2650 fps (.8-1moa) I load the slow ones for the 600 yards shooting. With scaled fclass targets at 300 it was SMK 95 out of 100. The faster honandy was 56 of 60. For me the load would need to have a lot higher balistic coefficient or much faster vel to accept poorer accuracy.

Wow, 3000fps with factory ammo. Do you have a 32 inch barrel or some such?

The Hornady website shows their 75gr HPBT coming out of a 24 inch barrel at 2790. I was getting 2850 for my 80gr bullets in a 26 inch barrel and I do not remember what I was getting for the 75gr A-Max in the 24 inch, I think it was 2800 and change and that's because I could seat the bullet long and add more powder.

26" 1:9 Savage 223 barrel
75gr HPBT & 24.0gr Varget, CCI-200, RP brass, 2.30" OAL
2860fps
Excellent out to 650 (as far as I shot it)

What is exceptionally well?

It's sub half-inch 5 shot groups at 100. Probably better than that/shoots better than I can drive it. But I'm hearing the message that I need a heavier, higher BC bullet moving faster or at least as many of those characteristics as I can get for longer range accuracy. At least I know the barrel will shoot.

I have a GAP .223 with a 26" 7-twist barrel that shoots just ridiculously small groups at 100 yd with FGMM 77s (~2740 fps). At 600 yd, it does the same thing...right up until the wind starts. Then it becomes a really nice precision shotgun (LOL). Seriously, it goes from shooting under 1/2 MOA to 1.5 or 2.0 MOA when the wind picks up, even to only 5-7 mph. Those little pills just don't handle the wind at that distance very well. The 69s are going to be even worse. You can certainly try and see how it does at 600 yd with 69s, but if you have any wind at all where you shoot, I suspect it will be an exercise in frustration unless you get a faster twist barrel that will allow you to shoot heavier projectiles (80 gr and above). Best of luck with it.