• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestion for someone just starting with reloading

6.5cm bolt action precision up to 1000yds
5.56 20” precision up to 600yds
5.56 11.5” suppressed for fun
300blk 8.5” suppressed for fun

I would not reload ANY of these on todays market with primer prices of $90/1000. Multiple vendors for 65CM for target use, 77OTM for "precision" to 600, 223/556 in bulk for fun. 300 BO subsonic harder.

If you want to reload - by all means do it. However, for the calibers above, I would look hard at buying factory loaded ammo.

It really boils down to this... you can produce some damn fine ammo with manual tools. But it takes time and can be tedious. If you want precision in a hurry be ready to pay for it.

The suggestion to purchase a reloading manual first was a good one. I have like 9. If I could only keep one it would be the Lee manual.

And I second the suggestion to get a good set of digital calipers... And Mitutoyo is pretty much the standard which all digital calipers are compared to.

The Hornady comparator sets are decent. I believe Short Action Customs makes a set as well... And they're probably nicer. I'm sure they're pricier too. Probably worth the extra money.

Presses, dies, trimmers, priming tools, etc... You can ask a dozen people and get a dozen different answers. Everyone has their favorites or ones that have features that suit them.

I do things differently than some folks... But I have a variable speed wood lathe in my shop. I can chuck tools up in it and cut some time off normally tedious processes. Not everyone has that option so they may suggest a nicer tool that saves them time.

Mike

6.5cm bolt action precision up to 1000yds
5.56 20” precision up to 600yds
5.56 11.5” suppressed for fun
300blk 8.5” suppressed for fun

I would not reload ANY of these on todays market with primer prices of $90/1000. Multiple vendors for 65CM for target use, 77OTM for "precision" to 600, 223/556 in bulk for fun. 300 BO subsonic harder.

If you want to reload - by all means do it. However, for the calibers above, I would look hard at buying factory loaded ammo.
I would look hard at not giving bad advice . Anyone that suggests factory ammo for "Precision" in 6.5cm and 556/223 clearly does not reload or if they do they have no faith in their ability . Love all this talk about the price of primers , why would anyone want to admit they are poor ?

Last edited:
Reactions: nn8734
If you are someone who is really into shooting, reloading is a big part of the hobby. However, you should only get into it IF you are someone who pays attention to detail, is careful, patient, and willing to invest in and follow reloading manuals. I love reloading and making loads exactly how I want to. It is not too hard to get up and running but there can be a pretty big learning curve to getting really good results. Some things that just aren't in the manuals, that's where it helps if you know someone who can help you.

Thanks all for the advice here. I’ll look into each of the items recommended and see what makes sense. Im looking at this as a long term investment and not just a short term solution. I love true precision shooting to see how close I can get groups at distance. It’s fun to go blow some ammo once in a while, but im ok with factory ammo for that just to save time. This is also something I want to get into as a father/son activity with my boys.

Id focus on a chambering you can get primers/brass for. Small rifle primers are easier to find than large rifle primers these days. You can find em at a few different places. Powder valley, midsouth, grafs etc and just refresh a few times a day and youll find them. There are some on small rifle federals on midsouth right now which is the first place I looked.

So I would buy some primers and then base what you want to reload for on that. Creed or 308 you can get either flavor large or small. x47/br only comes in small. 223 is small only. Some chamberings offer both some dont, just something youll need to decide based on your needs.
Scheels has them in stock from time to time. Their powder supply is also getting better.

To me the Forster press looks mighty appealing. Once you get the dies set up with the lock rings you can just pop them in and out as needed.

For a single stage press that looks like a great option.

That said loading a bucket of 9mm on one would be less than optimal.
A turret press (I use RCBS) is handy for loading multiple calibers. Leave the dies all set up and just swap turret plates.

Just get a camdex and be done with it. Cheaper option is a mark7