• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions for a .17 MHR Semi-auto

Winchester59

Minuteman
Nov 9, 2013
Missouri
I have a CZ 452 .17 HMR Varmint that I recently put to good use on a prairie dog hunt. The landowner was encouraging as close to an eradication as I could get. Question: A semi-auto .17 HMR would have been great in this situation & I am looking for some suggestions. I know there are some Ruger 10-22's in .17 out there, but it seems they are out of production. I am familiar with Alexander Arms AR upper, which is quite pricey. Don't know anything about Remington's 597 Experiences & suggestions appreciated!

There were too many safety issues for Ruger to keep theirs in production, so it was pulled. Case ruptures galore. Same goes for the Remington. Volquartsen has theirs but if you're on a budget, that is a no-go as well. Really the 17 HMR belongs in a bolt gun. If you want zippy in a semi, go with 17 HM2 but good luck finding ammo to feed it.

From what I've heard, everybody had trouble making a semi HMR reliable. Supposedly the volquartsens were decent, but spendy.

You might check about a HM2 instead.

I'm watching a couple of Alexander Arms uppers now on GB. Probably just get some more magazines for my CZ! Thanks for the help!

At least you only have to pay CZ mag prices. I decided to go the Annie route, $70/ea for four round mags makes my wallet say ouch!!!

I'm watching a couple of Alexander Arms uppers now on GB. Probably just get some more magazines for my CZ! Thanks for the help!

As stated above, the 17HMR belongs in a bolt gun. That is where it shines, trouble-free, I might add. You have, IMHO, arguably the best of the lot in the CZ. Just have fun with it. My 452 17HMR has thousands of rounds down range on prairie dogs and still shoots as good as ever. I will admit though that it doesn't get worked as much now since I got the 17 Ackley Hornet built.

Actually, I really like my CZ. I can work the bolt w/o losing my next PD in the scope & it is spot-on accurate. Some 10 round mags will help. When I checked Alexander Arms .17 HMR uppers on their web site they were $715, vs. the $1399 BIN price on GB. I assume the waiting time is the difference. When I mentioned they were pricey, I was referring to the GB $. They won't work without some mods if using the match triggers on my RRA lowers though.

Buy the volquartsen. I love mine. I kill ground hogs out to 300 yards. Volquartsen customer service is awesome. I have own 2 10-22 and the both started blowing up the cases around 1000-1200 rounds.

I love the really fast follow up shots that it allows you to make. It is fast.

I'm interested in the Volquartsen .17hmr. Prebanpaul, does it have issues shooting that round out of the semi auto platform?

I've not researched so I figured I'd ask, thanks!

The 17hm2 used to be hands down a better deal than the HMR. Now that ammo prices have gone up, it has come to be more inline with the power/$ formula. What distance are you using the HMR at? Check out this thread to see what the hm2 can do

What have you taken with your .17hm2 - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Hornady recently released a new run, so there should be plenty of hm2 available right now.

Buy the volquartsen. I love mine. I kill ground hogs out to 300 yards. Volquartsen customer service is awesome. I have own 2 10-22 and the both started blowing up the cases around 1000-1200 rounds.

I love the really fast follow up shots that it allows you to make. It is fast.

I know some may not agree, but I've had a ton of fun with Volquartsen. I've taken everything from chipmunks to coyotes and turkeys with it.

You can find them used in the $650 - $700 range.

Just my $0.02

Chris