• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions for a muzzle device

Here2Learn

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jul 3, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Curious what people suggest for a muzzle device on a 10.5 SBR AR that might get shot in tight spaces with out hearing protection. Would that Pig muzzle device be the ticket?

Griffin Armament M4SDii Flash Comp. This is my favorite muzzle device, doesn't significantly increase the decibel level like muzzle brakes, and I believe it is the only one on the market that also reduces the flash signature to that similar of the A2 flash hider. As far as reducing recoil and muzzle rise, I would put it on par with a BattleComp. The price and features makes this muzzle device really hard to beat.

Griffin Armament M4SDii Flash Comp. This is my favorite muzzle device, doesn't significantly increase the decibel level like muzzle brakes, and I believe it is the only one on the market that also reduces the flash signature to that similar of the A2 flash hider. As far as reducing recoil and muzzle rise, I would put it on par with a BattleComp. The price and features makes this muzzle device really hard to beat.

thanks metal. i'll take a look at it

First suggestion would be a suppressor, seriously.

Flash hiders and comps do NOT increase the decibel level, they slightly alter the concussion to the shooter. In a closed room you would be significantly over the permanent damage SPL no matter what. Even with a suppressor, you will be over the damage thresholds. If there is a need, there is a better solution.

There are ways to cancel some concussion increasing effects to the shooter with some comp/FH features, but those are negligible and not enough. When SPLs are 140+dB, taking out 1 or 2 is hardly worth the effort. The Novekse Pig works to direct the concussion away from the shooter, but it pointed at a wall within say 10 feet or so, then the benefits goes away. The Battle comp creates multiple jets to try and disperse some, but again if those sounds waves hit walls, back it comes. The Dynamic Resistance comp uses some features to cancel out some pressure waves and remain neutral, and is probably the best universal comp. But still, none are going to be as good as hearing protection or suppression technology.

First suggestion would be a suppressor, seriously.

Flash hiders and comps do NOT increase the decibel level, they slightly alter the concussion to the shooter. In a closed room you would be significantly over the permanent damage SPL no matter what. Even with a suppressor, you will be over the damage thresholds. If there is a need, there is a better solution.

There are ways to cancel some concussion increasing effects to the shooter with some comp/FH features, but those are negligible and not enough. When SPLs are 140+dB, taking out 1 or 2 is hardly worth the effort. The Novekse Pig works to direct the concussion away from the shooter, but it pointed at a wall within say 10 feet or so, then the benefits goes away. The Battle comp creates multiple jets to try and disperse some, but again if those sounds waves hit walls, back it comes. The Dynamic Resistance comp uses some features to cancel out some pressure waves and remain neutral, and is probably the best universal comp. But still, none are going to be as good as hearing protection or suppression technology.

Thanks for that info. Never thought about it that way. Suppressor is an option.

those are some good considerations I'm glad to have better understanding of first and 2nd focal planes. I think i will be little more in favor of having a second focal plane then having a side angle red dot or a reflex site on top of the scope.

Curious what people suggest for a muzzle device on a 10.5 SBR AR that might get shot in tight spaces with out hearing protection. Would that Pig muzzle device be the ticket?

There's a couple of other forward directing brakes out there that are smaller and lighter than the pig, though probably less effective. Levang, Troy Claymore, Keis, etc. None of these will keep your head from ringing and your ears from bleeding if firing off a 10.5" sbr in a hallway... Neither will a pig.

I've had a ruptured ear drum, it sucks as bad as you'd think it would. I'd only fire an Unsuppressed SBR indoors if my life depended on it and I had no other choice. Suppressor would be hands down the best way to go if you think you may ever hitting the go button inside close spaces. Griffin and others make some really short compact ones, not necessarily considered hearing safe, but infinitely better than a pig or others when indoors.

I always keep some teathered ear plugs in the grip of my rifle, if in a pinch I can rip em out and save what's left of my hearing : ) Surefire Sonics are handy to have around too.