• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions for a new AR10 barrel

Decoy

Nobody
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2010
Washington
I am looking for a replacement barrel for my AR-10 in .308. I need a threaded barrel in 5/8 x 24 TPI. 16 - 20" length.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Re: Suggestions for a new AR10 barrel

according to their website they dont do finished AR barrels that I saw.

Noveske is always talked of highly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMMOWASTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Noveske is always talked of highly </div></div>

+1.
I own 3 Noveske barrels and they are all shooters. Extremely durable as well. They cost a bit more up front, but they are actually cheaper over the life of the barrel because they can continue to accurately shoot long after most are burned out.

Check out their 308 here:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=160

I wish they would do 6.5 Grendel barrels, but alas they don't...

Noveske .308 barrels are almost always out of stock and come with a very long wait. Complete .308 rifles are taking 6 months plus, so good luck getting a barrel.

Actually I called them today and the 21" barrels are a ways out but they might have some 18" ones coming in soon.

Rainier arms often has Noveske barrels in stock, it might be worth a check.

I have had good luck with Krieger barrels, but I think you would have to get someone to thread it. Accuracy has been top notch out of the 2 semi auto barrels that I have from them.

Krieger is making the M110 Service Rifle barrels. I have one on my rifle. Unreal accuracy.

What about Fulton Armory? I was told, but have not verified, that they use Krieger blanks.

I just got in a rainier arms ultramatch barrel made from shilen blanks.
18 inch, lightweight as hell, I look forward to getting it mounted and running it next month.
i'll post an update when i get a chance.

I'd have to agree with JamesBailey. I have a Noveske barrel on my Armalite and it shoots great all day long, long after most 308's I have lost accuracy due to copper fowling. After a day of shooting it cleans up easy too. I can't attest to barrel life, but i'm sure it's great to!!! You just can't go wrong with polygonal rifling :)

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it. I did talk to Noveske abput their barrels and beleive I am going to go with a 18" threaded version.

Super nice folks, I will be waiting for the development of a switch block for the .308 which maybe a while but it will be worth the wait. The whole reason that I started looking for a barrel was to mount my suppressor on a differenet upper. My current upper is blowing primers and/or soot all over my 24" gap AR10.

The new upper will have a heavy buffer and spring (suggested by Noveske) to slow down the cycle to help with the extra pressure from the can.

That is my plan for now.

Does Noveske make an 18" barrel with something other than carbine length gas? Wondering how a 308 with that short a gas system will feel like. Guess if you run a heavy buffer it may smooth out.

The 21" has the rifle length tube.

I"ll guess I will find out if it smooths out or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Decoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it. I did talk to Noveske abput their barrels and beleive I am going to go with a 18" threaded version.

Super nice folks, I will be waiting for the development of a switch block for the .308 which maybe a while but it will be worth the wait. The whole reason that I started looking for a barrel was to mount my suppressor on a differenet upper. My current upper is blowing primers and/or soot all over my 24" gap AR10.

The new upper will have a heavy buffer and spring (suggested by Noveske) to slow down the cycle to help with the extra pressure from the can.

That is my plan for now. </div></div>

Before spending any money on a new barrel, I would figure out why you are having issues with your current setup. Have you talked to GAP about this? Armalite sells an adjustable gasblock system for the AR10 platform.

It would suck to spend $500 on a new barrel and have the same thing happen.