• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions for long range 22 shooting station?

b0xcrash

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
TN
I want some suggestions, thoughts, ideas around a long range 22 shooting station.

I have a course setup(private and purely for fun, training, exercise, etc.) that we run through shooting 22’s at targets. It is based on timing and accuracy.
A points system is setup for accuracy and then the time it takes to advance the course. It is timed in increments and completing within a certain time frame awards additional points. Completing under the lowest time frame is not enough to out point someone if you complete it without hitting anything then someone that tries to hit targets and completes within an average time frame.
Here is a video of me completing it when we first set it up and had target placement where we liked them. I am not so much looking for critique on how crappy I did completing the course….cause I know there are issues with it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Link:</span>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obcgPlYi0qg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Embed:</span>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/obcgPlYi0qg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/obcgPlYi0qg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Now since it has warmed up I am going to clean up the course and begin doing it weekly again for fun with family.
My thing is after the last pistol tree I plan on including a long range target, shot at with a Savage MKII 21” heavy, that is part of the course and its overall time.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">First part is range to target:</span></span>
I would like to do at least 200 yards for this target. I am thinking it will be shot from that elevation around the spot where the last dueling tree is located in this course, down to a target at 200 yards.
To minimize the amount of time testing things, what is the best route to achieve fair consistent results with each shooter? Would rather focus on the shooters skills, and their own challenges to overcome and not inconsistent ammo.

I have heard some say use Wolf target match, use Aguila ammo sub-sonic ammo to reach out 200+ yards, etc.
Any thoughts for the best starting point?
Should I go sub-sonic?
If I do will the 60gr Aguila be too heavy to carry out that far?

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Second thing are challenge(s):</span></span>
Since the mag holds 5 rounds, and I would prefer to make the shooter install the mag, rack the bolt and then start sending rounds down range, instead of worrying about how we can go +1 and get 6 shots with one already loaded into the chamber.

Also since the course already requires you have an assault/tacti-cool/etc. based 22 rifle on you, and a side arm, the shooter will not carry the Savage throughout the course, but it will be resting somewhere near the end of the course(maybe under a camo cover of some sort to simulate removing it from a hidden location to engage long targets?)

Originally I thought about after running the course, prone would be enough of a challenge to hit, but then someone at the hide said “anyone can hit targets on their belly, try transitions” and to me this sounds spot on.
My thoughts are……after last pistol tree:
<span style="font-weight: bold">1.</span> Uncover rifle from hidden/stashed/open location it is resting
<span style="font-weight: bold">2.</span> Load magazine in rifle
<span style="font-weight: bold">3.</span> Go to first station, kneeling, unsupported in simulated window frame, work bolt and place 2 on target from 200 yards.
<span style="font-weight: bold">4.</span> Then stand and place one on target at 200 yards
<span style="font-weight: bold">5.</span> Then go to a location that is 200 yards to target, acquire cover for Savage and use it for prone bed. Or already have prone bed/sheet laid out at designated spot? Then place 2 on target.

All part of overall course time, and has a points system based on where you place each shot on the target.
Sound challenging enough but still a lot of fun for each person participating?

Thanks for any ideas and feedback.

Re: Suggestions for long range 22 shooting station?

Sounds good to me... If your going to be going threw alot of ammo i would recommend CCI Standard Velocity, works very will for me at longer ranges. and is somewhat cheap... 200 yard standing and kneeling are tough shots. I would probly go 10 inch target at 200 for those 2 stages and 3-6 inch for prone. If it starts to be to easy just make the targets smaller... Thats what i did after shooting a 30 inch target at 500 yards for a while. took it down to a 14 and 8.5 inch. made it MUCH harder to do.

Anyways it sounds like you will have a sweet deal set up and sounds like a hell of alot of fun!

Re: Suggestions for long range 22 shooting station?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayne_b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds good to me... If your going to be going threw alot of ammo i would recommend CCI Standard Velocity, works very will for me at longer ranges. and is somewhat cheap... 200 yard standing and kneeling are tough shots. I would probly go 10 inch target at 200 for those 2 stages and 3-6 inch for prone. If it starts to be to easy just make the targets smaller... Thats what i did after shooting a 30 inch target at 500 yards for a while. took it down to a 14 and 8.5 inch. made it MUCH harder to do.

Anyways it sounds like you will have a sweet deal set up and sounds like a hell of alot of fun!</div></div>

Cool I like the variable target size option alot, I was going to probably use one target, but that is a better idea, thanks...and yeah you can increase or decrease difficulty as required.
Thanks
smile.gif