• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions for protecting a new chassis cerakote

J@50n

Private
Minuteman
  • Aug 4, 2012
    Is there a good technique for protecting the finish on a new chassis? I'm mainly thinking about protecting the bottom of the forend, where it's always rubbing on stuff.
    I tried clear film for car paint, but it doesn't stick well and is a pain to cut to shape. I was also considering the soft side of some velcro. But then there'd be a black patch on the bottom. But it's beginning to look like the solution is to just accept that the chassis will get some scratches.

if your really crazy about it get some clear epoxy and make a damn of clay.

pour it in you have a really hard mostly clear protective layer

just remember the more permanent the material the more difficult it is to remove when it fails...every coating fails sooner or later

truthfully i would use it like the others said and if it gets starched, oh well

ive gone the krylon-a-flage route and love it, no more perfect paint jobs for me

Last edited:
    I'm going to suggest the simple thing. Leave it in the safe. does a great job protecting the finish.

Seriously, if it looks like it belongs on the cover of 'Guns and Bullshit' magazine, it's a pretty good sign it never gets used. If it looks like it got dragged behind the truck for a while, not only does it blend in better but the guy using it might actually know how to use it.

So I had this same issue, still have it for some pistols; what I’ve learned:

my rifles in chassis are for competitive matches, being such if I’m worried about a scuff mark from a railroad tie or barricade I am in my own way from winning. I am more worried about my rifle than I am the stage.

I realized this when talking to my gf about it and how I care so much about this one and my bolt gun over seas I’d use as a stick/broom/paddle dropped it off a roof once.

her response “why do worry about the fun gun more than you worried about the gun that protected you and other Marines”?”

so food for thought. I’m sure the best carpenters don’t have a shiny hammer. I do have some safe queens tho 🧐
    Good luck

So I had this same issue, still have it for some pistols; what I’ve learned:

my rifles in chassis are for competitive matches, being such if I’m worried about a scuff mark from a railroad tie or barricade I am in my own way from winning. I am more worried about my rifle than I am the stage.

I realized this when talking to my gf about it and how I care so much about this one and my bolt gun over seas I’d use as a stick/broom/paddle dropped it off a roof once.

her response “why do worry about the fun gun more than you worried about the gun that protected you and other Marines”?”

so food for thought. I’m sure the best carpenters don’t have a shiny hammer. I do have some safe queens tho 🧐
    Good luck

you know that since the GF actually made sense this one time, you will never hear the end of it

Matte can-in-can activated clearcoat, available at autobody supply shops. Once activated, use it. It won’t have much shelf life. Easy to use if you have basic painting skills/experience.

Not available in MOA, though.

It's like getting a shiny brand-new truck. Just put the first scratch/dent and then get over it.

F3F55C0E-51B4-488A-981C-456ECD6FC0CE.jpeg

• Haha
    Reactions: Threadcutter308
    I don't mind them so much on my gunmetal gray chassis. I'll run that one directly on a cinder block, if I need to, without hesitating, but I just ordered an MPA Matrix in blue steel, and it's such a nice color, I'm hesitant to mess it up.

I don't mind them so much on my gunmetal gray chassis. I'll run that one directly on a cinder block, if I need to, without hesitating, but I just ordered an MPA Matrix in blue steel, and it's such a nice color, I'm hesitant to mess it up.

im waiting to see if there is a Black Friday sale but I want that distressed blue BA comp.

I did also see Pieter with IMPACT shooting do a vid about getting a strip of nonslip tape (grip tape) for the edge of the scope it does suck scuffing up a NF scope on the first stage of the day

im waiting to see if there is a Black Friday sale but I want that distressed blue BA comp.

I did also see Pieter with IMPACT shooting do a vid about getting a strip of nonslip tape (grip tape) for the edge of the scope it does suck scuffing up a NF scope on the first stage of the day
    I saw the same video. About a week earlier I scuffed my new ZCO scope body racking my rifle at my local range. I might try some of that tape on the rail of the chassis, to see if it helps.

I ordered some scope wrap. I think I'll try putting some of that on the front of the magwell. It would also add a bit of grip, which is nice.

much better question for barfcom

all the setups i see over there are fucking spotless
    I know how to keep it spotless: never pull it out of the safe. I know I'm going to scratch it, I'd just like to minimize the scratching, especially on the area that will contact barricades regularly. Just about all of the scratches on my current chassis are from placing it directly on cinder blocks and ladder steps. I can probably prevent those with the scope wrap.

The chassis has a built in arca rail. It's an MPA.

True. It's an MPA chassis though, so it also has a spigot mount out front. I'll likely only use the chassis arca rail for tripod mounting, pulling the bipod back to shoot off a barrel, or similar situation. Also those scratches show up inside the arca slots. What I'm trying to protect from are the spots on the underside of my forend and on the front of the magwell on my current chassis, where it looks like somebody went a bit crazy with a dremel.

The reason my using guns are treated as tools. No fancy finishes. Just function over looks.

The reason my using guns are treated as tools. No fancy finishes. Just function over looks

True. It's an MPA chassis though, so it also has a spigot mount out front. I'll likely only use the chassis arca rail for tripod mounting, pulling the bipod back to shoot off a barrel, or similar situation. Also those scratches show up inside the arca slots. What I'm trying to protect from are the spots on the underside of my forend and on the front of the magwell on my current chassis, where it looks like somebody went a bit crazy with a dremel.

I'd be woried that any type of barrier protection on the arca rail is incompatible with the arca clamp functionality/tolerances. I mean if you put eg industrial velcro soft side on the bottom, don't you render the rail out of spec? Even a decent tape might interfere, you'd have to check the tolerance from OEM.

The amount I care about my guns finish varies inversely with the amount of shooting I have done. Shoot more, worry less. Wear parts out. Shoot more.

I'd be woried that any type of barrier protection on the arca rail is incompatible with the arca clamp functionality/tolerances. I mean if you put eg industrial velcro soft side on the bottom, don't you render the rail out of spec? Even a decent tape might interfere, you'd have to check the tolerance from OEM.
    Yeah, but I don't put the bipod that far to the rear, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I thought about 3D printing a shield that fits the shape of the arca rail and front of the magwell and clips into the arca slots. Maybe I'll do that.

You’ve got a ZCO a 3D printer, and two MPA chassis and you’re sweating the $159-200 it’ll cost for a single color cerakote job?

Not meaning to be a jerk at all. I’d just advise changing your mindset. Think of it like a shovel. If you use it until it looks like crap you’ve probably gotten your money’s worth out of it.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
    You’ve got a ZCO a 3D printer, and two MPA chassis and you’re sweating the $159-200 it’ll cost for a single color cerakote job?

Not meaning to be a jerk at all. I’d just advise changing your mindset. Think of it like a shovel. If you use it until it looks like crap you’ve probably gotten your money’s worth out of it.
    One trick to affording nice things is to take care of them, so you don't waste money on repairs, replacements, or cerakote. Also cerakoting a chassis takes it out of commission for at least a week, if I'm lucky. Extrapolating your advice out, why not just replace the chassis as I scuff them up? My cars and motorcycles are tools, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try to maintain their paint jobs as long as possible. A shovel is a very different type of tool.

Scuffing cerakote doesn't functionally affect your gun. Have you ever seen a gun that's been USED?

One trick to affording nice things is to take care of them, so you don't waste money on repairs...

You don’t say? Well how profound.... Nice humble brag BTW. How about this, don’t participate in a sport that requires you dragging your sacred cow across cinder blocks and railroad cross ties? It’s the very nature of the game. Sheesh. Good luck. Maybe there’s a league out there with all Nerf barricades.

One trick to affording nice things is to take care of them, so you don't waste money on repairs, replacements, or cerakote. Also cerakoting a chassis takes it out of commission for at least a week, if I'm lucky. Extrapolating your advice out, why not just replace the chassis as I scuff them up? My cars and motorcycles are tools, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try to maintain their paint jobs as long as possible. A shovel is a very different type of tool.

Buy a spare chassis to use for matches and swap them out before/after shooting.

You can hide the ugly chassis just like keeping an extra girlfriend on the downlow.

The rifle won't be out of commission getting the chassis recoated and you'll still have a pretty and unscuffed rifle to fondle around the campfire while sipping on White Claw.

Put it in a “gun sock” in the very back of your gun safe, where there is no hope of you ever reaching it. Now your ceracote is safe...

OP
    Just bring it out for limited coffee table glamour shots.
    You mustn’t expose it the the brutality of the real world.