• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suggestions for Ranges CSprings - Jensen UT - W Yellowstone - Ouray - Red River NM

Oldloser

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2021
    Texas
    Hi all,

I will be in these locations next few weeks and looking for suggestions on where to practice. 308 or smaller.

Steel every fifty yards out to 1000 with good wind would be the cat's meow.

Thanks in advance.

You will love Ouray.........probably our favorite vacation spot........

See if this will help you out: https://wheretoshootcolorado.com

The place in Grand Junction looks amazing.

I also see that Buckskin Hills Shooting Complex in Vernal UT looks pretty good, too.

I also heard about Whittington below Raton Pass - about an hour from Red River NM.

Went by Buckskin. Targets out to 1500. Windy windy day with gusts to thirty mostly head on to me. Had the place to myself. Lots of brush but enough dirt to spot your own misses.

Attachments

• 70230506-67EA-465F-9ABD-55F795DEE17A.jpeg
      70230506-67EA-465F-9ABD-55F795DEE17A.jpeg
      299.3 KB · Views: 38
    • F2F37E71-B1B7-46E7-B0B7-19CC53753490.jpeg
      F2F37E71-B1B7-46E7-B0B7-19CC53753490.jpeg
      236.6 KB · Views: 34
    • A16304C5-2E05-40FF-9202-161B33C41089.jpeg
      A16304C5-2E05-40FF-9202-161B33C41089.jpeg
      120.2 KB · Views: 38
    Reactions: BadDogPSD
    Cheyenne mountain shooting complex in fountain, co has range 1 open on the weekends (sometimes) it has paper to 300 and steel to 1400. Call first

Reactions: Oldloser and Doc68
    Don’t these places have public land to just set up and shoot or am I mistaken?

Went by Buckskin. Targets out to 1500. Windy windy day with gusts to thirty mostly head on to me. Had the place to myself. Lots of brush but enough dirt to spot your own misses.

Where’s the brush? 🤔 Nice play to shoot. Those head on and straight away winds are the toughest for me. When they go from head on to slightly left to slightly right, it gets me. I end up holding off the complete wrong direction.

The range in Salida used to be a real hidden gem. It was run by DOW and had targets out to 1000, but that has since been reduced due to the expansion of the landfill. The max is now 600ish, like 615.

Cheyenne Mountain does have steel out to 1080 on range 1, but it's only open on weekends. It's the El Paso County Sheriff's Office range, so even though they rarely use it during the week, they don't allow civilians to use it. On weekends, it reverts to bring part of CMSC, so they'll open it if there are enough shooters. It's also "first come, first serve" when they do open it on weekends, so you end up waiting for a spot if you aren't there early. The other ranges have steel, but we're talking 425 max

Whittington Center is a fantastic range, so if you get the chance, stop by. You should be able to find whatever you're looking for at Whittington.

If you'll be on the western slope, Cameo is a fantastic range.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Oldloser
    The range in Salida used to be a real hidden gem. It was run by DOW and had targets out to 1000, but that has since been reduced due to the expansion of the landfill. The max is now 600ish, like 615.

Cheyenne Mountain does have steel out to 1080 on range 1, but it's only open on weekends. It's the El Paso County Sheriff's Office range, so even though they rarely use it during the week, they don't allow civilians to use it. It's also "first come, first serve", so you end up waiting if you aren't there early. The other ranges have steel, but we're talking 425 max

Whittington Center is a fantastic range, so if you get the chance, stop by. You should be able to find whatever you're looking for at Whittington.

If you'll be on the western slope, Cameo is a fantastic range.
    Thanks. Definitely will hit Cameo and Whittington.

I considered Cheyenne, but I this time I had only weekdays. It’s a shame there is an us vs them around that range.

Still no info around West Yellowstone.

Where’s the brush? 🤔 Nice play to shoot. Those head on and straight away winds are the toughest for me. When they go from head on to slightly left to slightly right, it gets me. I end up holding off the complete wrong direction.
    It took some time to spot all the targets. There are quite a few out past 600.

I’m pretty sure the wind was coming around the right side of the hill before it flattened out in my face. A right .2 mil hold at 400 yards did the trick. But sometimes it didn’t.

The nearer targets are ripped up pretty bad. Looked like most people ignore the no FMJ rule. I’m adding a small can of white paint to my kit.