• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suggestions for scope mount ? Savage 10FP Folder

SCRich

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2010
South Carolina
I have just ordered one of the Nitrex scopes for a new 10FP folder that I just got. It was used but unfired and I am saving my pennies for both a HS or B&C stock and a IOR scope sometime next year. I can always mount the Nitrex on my AR upper later on.

For now I want to mount the nitrex which has a 1" tube on the thing but would like to get a nice base and possibly rings so I don't have to buy these all over again down the road.

Suggestions...??

Also this is my first forend with a rail since my NRA smallbore day's over 30 years ago. All of my bi-pods are stud mount, are rail mounts all standard or do they vary in size?

Re: Suggestions for scope mount ? Savage 10FP Folder

There is a nice Badger Base on Savage Shooters forum for a SA Savage right now in the classifieds.

First thing to consider is how far do you plan to shoot? You may want to get a 20MOA base for 500+ yds. Also, you can get 30mm rings and get 1" inserts so you don't have to change rings later on, just make sure they will be the right height for the new scope you plan to use. Try and get steel base and rings not aluminum. The forend rail should include a bipod mount that just slides into the rail.

how are the classifieds over there? i have often thought about joining but i am not sure about their classifieds section. i may have to ask if i can get a peek. im not really interested in selling anything and there isnt much left i need to buy so i am just hesitant to spend the money. even if its only $12

OP, i have had an EGW and it was a good base for the money. i snagged a ferrel and its a top quality hunk of steel. EGW does make steel bases too now and they are about $20 more than the aluminum ones. a lot of people have had good luck with burris XTR rings. usually low will fit with a 50mm objective and a 20 moa base

Hey Axeman,

It does not move very quickly and I just joined the other day. I prefer the hide as far as that goes. But of course there is alot more specific Savage stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how are the classifieds over there? i have often thought about joining but i am not sure about their classifieds section. i may have to ask if i can get a peek. im not really interested in selling anything and there isnt much left i need to buy so i am just hesitant to spend the money. even if its only $12

OP, i have had an EGW and it was a good base for the money. i snagged a ferrel and its a top quality hunk of steel. EGW does make steel bases too now and they are about $20 more than the aluminum ones. a lot of people have had good luck with burris XTR rings. usually low will fit with a 50mm objective and a 20 moa base </div></div>

i just dont know what else i need. hell its only a dozen dollars, maybe ill give it a shot some time

I am a big fan of the burris signature zee rings. You can buy the inserts, and then regardless of the gun you move them to you can still have the built in elevation, unlike a 20MOA base. plus they don't mar the scope.

I actually have ZEE rings on my MKII and I liked them, I just bought another set for my Savage 93R17 BVSS in silver finish and will be mounting a Muller Scope on that as my first .17 HMR rifle.

I have heard that EGW is a good company, I will check them out tonight. No need for 20MOA right now and if I ever do I'll pick one up, I don't know of any local ranges that go past 200 and most of the shooting will be limited to 100yd reduced targets.

It does not sound like much but if you consider the 100yd range is in my back yard it helps make up for the short range
laugh.gif
I get to shoot whenever I want whatever I want as fast as I want or as slow even in the black of night if I want! God I love this state!
grin.gif
So to make up for range I plan on just making the targets smaller years ago most of my 600 Yd shooting was actually at 200yds with reduced targets. Winds are not as much of a factor but when you go offhand I think it's tougher!

The gun/rail did not come with an adapter so I'll look at Brownells for that, I think places like LaRue make some rail to stud adapters. I believe I have seen some while paging through the catalog, I was just not sure if it was a universal size or it varied with brand of gun.

THANKS!

on the 20 moa base, since its the same cost i just always get a 20moa. cant see a reason not to and its always there later and wont require any type of swapping. and i bedded my base to my receiver so taking it off is a little more involved. oh and you gotta get pictures, lol. we are all about pictures

Post a pic, those folders have always intrigued me.

Interesting I replied but I don't see it up.

The 20MOA base...I found one from EGW but the standard base is out of stock. I understand the need for 20 MOA for long range which I doubt I will do often since we have very few ranges if any to do that in this area. BUT with that said using a 20 MOA will also take away the ability to range close in let's say at 50 or 100 yards right?!

No fancy photo but someone asked....

Savage10FP.jpg

Can anyone identify the mount and rings ? They came with the rifle and are 30mm.

I have ordered a Weaver mount since it was cheap $14 dealer and want to make sure I got everything just like I want it before I drop a big dime on stuff. I am sure I can use the weaver down the road on something else possibly even my 110 hunting rifle. Burris Signature Zee rings which I like and a Harris 5/16 rail adapter for my bipod so I don't have to just toss it on the ground. Can't see ordering anything massive for rings for just a .308 and critical reliability that a SRT would need, is not necessary here. Maybe if I see a good deal on cool rings someday I will move these rings down to my hunting or AR rifle.

Rich