• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suggestions for target/varmint AR

11B1P

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Hello all, I've been looking around and did search without much success and decided to post and take my chances. I'm looking for a target/varmint gun in 5.56, probably 70%/30%. I had narrowed things down to a Larue OBR, Wilson "super" sniper and a Les Baer super varmint. I'm willing and able to pay the price, but frankly I feel like I'm paying 30% or more for the name. So, then I decided to look for parts and have my gunsmith build one. Except, trying to find good uppers and lowers has been a chore. So, now I'm back to looking for a decent weapon from a manufacturer. I've read reviews of S&W, Bushmaster, Daniel defense, FNH, LMT, LWRC, etc... And as expected they're all over the map. So, I'm looking for a good weapon for this purpose at around $1000-1500 max. I can replace whatever parts later depending on how it shoots. Looking for accuracy, trigger feel and reliability. Thanks, any and all opinions appreciated.

What sort of varmint will you be shooting at? What varmint ammo do you intend to use?

The rock river predator pursuit or coyote series are good platforms for the money. One has SS barrel and the other heavy chromo barrel with your choice of barrel length. These will leave you cash for accessories.

Based on some of the Mfg's you mentioned you may be looking for a carbine/tactical model to double as a target/varmint rifle? You might have trouble staying i that budget with some of them

Based on some of the Mfg's you mentioned you may be looking for a carbine/tactical model to double as a target/varmint rifle? You might have trouble staying i that budget with some of them

Most of the manufacturers make tactical weapons, the ones I listed are in 20" barrels. I'd like to find something in this category without paying for the hype. Maybe I can't, but I thought I'd ask for rec's. To answer you're above question, 5.56 ammo. Prairie dog, potentially Coyote at closer range.

Take a look at a WOA Varmint upper. 20" bull barrel 1:7 twist.

Take a look at a WOA Varmint upper. 20" bull barrel 1:7 twist.

Yes, beat me to it. That, or call up Keystone Accuracy. WOA and KA are apparently pretty tight and they both build some great uppers. I have one from KA and the work is impeccable, a couple friends have WOA uppers and they're certainly shooters.

RRA Varmint A4 20" brrl. Mine has shot .2-.5" with handloads since day 1, and factory will punch .5-.75" with a Guarantee, and they will honor it. I have both, Les, Noveske, MSTN, and RRA, but for the $, and Les is using the same barrels 416 SS Wilson's. I'd save some $ for some glass.

Buy a Rock river predator pursuit and use the left over cash for some good glass.

RRA Varmint A4 20" brrl. Mine has shot .2-.5" with handloads since day 1, and factory will punch .5-.75" with a Guarantee, and they will honor it. I have both, Les, Noveske, MSTN, and RRA, but for the $, and Les is using the same barrels 416 SS Wilson's. I'd save some $ for some glass.

Buy a Rock river predator pursuit and use the left over cash for some good glass.

I've been reading about RRA and like what I see, thanks for responses. I also talked with the guys at Rainier Arms and they were really helpful. They're local too, so if I don't find something their I'll be going with RRA and 20" heavy barrel. Thanks again for everyone's help.

AR15 Varmint Uppers .
I had great results with the 24" Bushmaster Varm. in there CM, parkerized, fluted, barrel in 1-9-T . Was great grouping on paper and really kicked ass on the Varm. from sage rats to coyote .
24" barrel length for an AR15 varmint shooter is when you REALLY gain the upper hand in Velocity end of things . I was easy comfortable getting 3300 fps with 50-Vmax also .

Find elfster1234's thread on the Rock River ATH and Varmint rigs, Very impressive from a very knowledgeable and respected member of the hide. The cost for either is also great deal.

I've read many of Elfsters threads in here, and I thought I was the only one out here that respected RRA for Accuracy, but Elfster also agrees. I also told Nilescoyote, about a load for his RRA to take a whitetail. I have about 20 RRA's, from Predator's, Varmint's, to the old A2 carry handle. I also have several BCM's, Noveske's, and a few Colt's. I had to try a Colt, because on some gun forums, if it isn't a "chrome lined, 1/7 Milspec" AR, it is junk. I kept on shooting my very 1st AR, (A Bushy) and thought I'd get the "BEST" A Colt Hbar! When I got it, I was blown away, at how it shot worse than my Bushy Varmint. I talked to Bill Wilson many years ago, and he told me about the Wilson 416 brrls, and his Guarantee, and even though my local FFL didn't buy from RRA, I set him up an account to be an RRA Dlr, and he said he would order me an RRA for cost. I got a 20" Varmint A4, and had over 1k of .223 brass, and loaded my 1st 50gr Vmax, and 60Vmax, The gun with 24.5-26gr of H4895 loaded at spec OAL, would average sub .5" groups. It didn't take me long to see RRA meant business. As far as I'm concerned, the RRA is leader of the pack in Accuracy terms,and has yet to fail me. The RRA is what broke my Bolt gun BR hobby, and then come the AR frenzy, and I've bought, and put together so many AR15's I've lost count, but just can't recommend another AR15 for pure Accuracy, and fun. I like them so much, that I bought 6 more RRA's (Varmint, Predator models), and their still sitting in their cases in the safe. I love my Noveske's, Baer's, LMT's, but for the $, even if Rainer Arms is close by, I wouldn't recommend any other brand right now. Try em, I promise you'll love. Don't waste the $ like me on "THE BEST" AR15, but I'm a BR shooter at heart, and Accuracy, and reliability is what I look for. I can put one together for ya with a Guarantee of sub moa, but you can get an RRA for cheaper, and it will Hammer!

I appreciate everyone's responses, Groundhogbuster great write up, thanks. Wish I read it earlier, but I checked nearly every shop within 50 miles and they don't carry RRA, I would have had to buy online. Not a big deal, but it was nice to deal with the guys at Rainier Arms and they're building (Or parting) one for me. They had a 20" Noveske barrel, I'm using their BCG and lower/upper receiver, Lancer CF hand guard and a Geissele trigger set up. Very excited about it, but spent more than I wanted to. But! Have some money leftover for good glass.... Nightforce NXS F1 vs Vortex Razor HD or Swarovski perhaps. On and on it goes...

Rock River all the way. Both the predator pursuit and advanced tactical hunter have ss barrels with 1/8 twist. The predator has a 20 inch bar and the ath has an 18 inch. They both have heavy national match weight barrels, not the varmint heavy, heavy, barrels. The predator pursuit does not come with a muzzle device. I have owned a predator pursuit and got offered more than i could turn down. Took the money and purchased the advanced tactical hunter. They both have the good 2 stage rr triggers. I think for the money for a factory rifle, rock river is among the best. They shoot great and i personally have never had an issue with them. I have owned 3. The predator and the ath are light enough to carry on a hunt. The varmint model i feel would be to heavy. My rifles like the 75 grainers. Havent tried much of the lighter stuff, the 75 grainers will do a number on coyotes. Hope this has helped. Good luck with your future purchase.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Here is a picture.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388335918757.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388335918757.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 21
Yeah I saw that in the other thread, really nice set up you have. I'm already committed to Rainier Arms, but if I get another or go 308 they'll be on the top of my list.

Good luck with your ranier. Keep us posted.

ive have shot enough rock river rifles & have seen other shoot their RRA's enough times to come to this conclusion.................... RRA's (if you get the right one such as a 1:8 twist stainless steel 5.56) will shoot just as well IF not better than rifles twice their price.... put it this way, if you're just a weekend warrior like myself, why spend twice the amount of money on a rifle when you can just get a RRA for 1/2 the price?? last time I checked I wasn't in a war & bashing down doors.... and to be honest with you, I have never ONCE had any issues with FTF or FTE with my RRA and if SHTF I would have no issues depending on my RRA rifles.

Rock River all the way. Both the predator pursuit and advanced tactical hunter have ss barrels with 1/8 twist. The predator has a 20 inch bar and the ath has an 18 inch. They both have heavy national match weight barrels, not the varmint heavy, heavy, barrels. The predator pursuit does not come with a muzzle device. I have owned a predator pursuit and got offered more than i could turn down. Took the money and purchased the advanced tactical hunter. They both have the good 2 stage rr triggers. I think for the money for a factory rifle, rock river is among the best. They shoot great and i personally have never had an issue with them. I have owned 3. The predator and the ath are light enough to carry on a hunt. The varmint model i feel would be to heavy. My rifles like the 75 grainers. Havent tried much of the lighter stuff, the 75 grainers will do a number on coyotes. Hope this has helped. Good luck with your future purchase.

ive have shot enough rock river rifles & have seen other shoot their RRA's enough times to come to this conclusion.................... RRA's (if you get the right one such as a 1:8 twist stainless steel 5.56) will shoot just as well IF not better than rifles twice their price.... put it this way, if you're just a weekend warrior like myself, why spend twice the amount of money on a rifle when you can just get a RRA for 1/2 the price?? last time I checked I wasn't in a war & bashing down doors.... and to be honest with you, I have never ONCE had any issues with FTF or FTE with my RRA and if SHTF I would have no issues depending on my RRA rifles.
Could not agree any more. I quoted somewhere above that they are among the best factory rifles, not so sure if they are the best but would argue with people that they are the most accurate ar out of the box that doesnt cost 1500 plus. What makes things the best? My Rock River's have never once jammed, FTF, FTE, anything. Pull the trigger and they go bang everytime. The ATH and Predator are chambered in 223 wylde which is a match chambering to make things more accurate and I believe them. Why spend over 2000 for something that probably will not be any more accurate than the Rock River.

I have the bushmaster varminter with 24" fluted heavy barrel ,1/9 twist and it shoots 40 grainers as well as 75 grainers.Excellent accuracy with it.

I'll second the Rock River. I have a 20" varmint and its a damn good shooter for the price.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I got a 24" 1-8 twist stainless barreled upper from MA parts and its a hammer...
it has a Wilson barrel and a cmmg upper which are quality parts ,, couple that with a nice trigger and it easily shoots sub moa at 100 yrds with factory ammo..with 3/4" groups not out of the question...not bad for a little over 600 bux including rra 2 stage match trigger

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's opinions, if I had to start all over again I'd likely go with RRA. But, went out for the first time last week to zero my scope and I'm happy. It's been nearly 30 years since I shot rifles and I'm happy with my 10-15 round moa group at 200 yds. I know it will shoot sub moa with more practice and certainly in more skilled hands. It's a very tight and well put together rifle, so no regrets. Here's a really bad phone pic. Going to go with a Magpul PRS black. Waiting on the new buffer and spring.

AR-2.jpg

^ Nice rifle. The handguard is interesting.

I may be late but i will add a +1 for the RRA predator pursuit. I put one together this summer and got a 5/8 inch group with factory loads. The gun will out shoot me all day.