• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suggestions for wife gun

Re: Suggestions for wife gun

+1 on the Model Seven. My daughter has been killing deer with one in .243 since she was 8. I will carry it some times just because it is so light and handy. Recoil is not a problem. With 95 gr ballistic tips it is good deer medicine.

the remington 700 sps comes in a youth size and is available in all three of those caliber. unfortunately the sps varmint which has the heavy barrel doesnt but the sps will b plenty good for deer and lighter weight because of the light barrel which might be good for your wife

My wife shoots a ruger scout rifle in 7mm-08 and loves it. The scout scope is really easy for her eyes. She was having a hard time getting her head down in the same spot on my rifles. She always complained about never being able to see outta the scope. So, the scout scope fixed that. My wife takes elk, deer and pringhorn with this combo.

You would not be going wrong with either of those two. I find myself grabbing the kids 7mm08 when I have alot of walking to do, both cal's will kill deer just fine.

Model 7 in 7mm-08 or 260 REM, if she insists on a bolt gun.

My wife's birthday is in May. She's strongly suggested that I get her a freefloated 6.8 SPC from www.ar15performance.com for a deer/hog gun. My 11 year old has a 6.8 SPC and wife is always borrowing his so now she wants her own.

Nice thing about a 6.8 SPC AR is that you have plenty of power for deer, hogs, & pronghorns out to 300 yards with tiny recoil and fully adjustable AR stocks. Gun is also very short and light. Gets in and out of the truck easy. Easy to move in the blind. Easy to carry in thick woods. And if she loves it, she'll practice with it. Side bonus is good for home defense.

-David
Edgewood, NM

I've had a 7mm-08 abolt since I was 10. Killed countless deer with it and now my girlfriend has taken it over. She loves it. There are some nice bolts guns and semi autos out there for small framed shoots. All depends on how much $$ you want to dish out.

I have a Rem 700 5R in 308 that I use as a deer gun. I suppose 308 oughta be a pretty good caliber for wives since it works so well on deer. Most are extremely thin-skinned and at least in the same neighborhood on weight, but you'll have to assess your own wife.

The Sako 85 is the best hunting rifle around for the price. Awhile ago they were selling out the only models in the 700-800 dollar range. You might still be able to find one on gun broker, although they might have been chambered in .338 federal. What about a Ruger M77 in 6.5 creedmore? Factory ammo is good and priced about the same as .308; with much better barrel life then .243, although if the gun isn’t going to shot to much the .243 may be better.

walley world (wal-mart) in some area's still sell rifles.
i saw a youth syn 243 rem 700 for 399.99. with a cheap scope.
ready to shoot!

You can pick up the combo deal savages for around $500. Or a weatherby vanguard. Both good choices on a low budget.

As far as the non common caliber go...leave them at the range and not for hunting. If you are on a trip and something happens to your ammo. It is nice to be able to go down to the local store and get some. Most hole in the wall stores are going to stock 7mm-08, 308, 243;270, etc....prolly wont find a single box of 6.5 creedmore or 6.8. It sucks having a trip ruined or having to borrow a rifle because for whatever reason you cant get ammo.