• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions on Spotting Scope Stands?

Re: Suggestions on Spotting Scope Stands?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you looked at this Tactical Tripod </div></div>

i did see that, but its extremely expensive. i was hoping to stay around the price of the freeland...unless they are complete pieces of crap. then i will up the price point.

I use a Freeland for both bench and f class with a Kowa 82 mm spotter. Heavy duty. Stable and works fine. I have the two leg model which is good for level ground but may not be the best for a slope. Comes with two poles and I cut one down to about 12".

I like my Manfrotto 190. It has the versatility of being able to be used as camera tripod, but the legs fold out flat and the vertical center post can switch over to horizontal so it can be used for a spotting scope stand from prone. It is stable enough to be used with a Hogsaddle to mount a heavy rifle in as well.

I've had good luck using a good quality camera tripod (not the department store stuff). I have a carbon fiber Gitzo, and several aluminum Giottos, which is a knockoff of Gitzo. They're very stable. My old Giottos is like Reinman's unit. The center post lifts up all the way, then you can pan it horizontally on a swivel.

Here is a link to a product page with photos that demonstrates the flexibility http://www.giottos.com/MTL-9.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PeterN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Freeland for both bench and f class with a Kowa 82 mm spotter. Heavy duty. Stable and works fine. I have the two leg model which is good for level ground but may not be the best for a slope. Comes with two poles and I cut one down to about 12". </div></div>

do you use their 'heavy duty' version or their regular 5/8" version?

If you are going to be packing it for long distances in rough terain then every ounce counts. For that I use the Slik tripod that came with my PRS rest. All I had to do is get an additional quick release mount for the spotter and I had a 2 for one use tool. It is very light weight and easy to pack.

In a static position I use a heavy tripod, because it is more stable when you bump it. Currently I am using a Zeiss with aluminum legs. Not the lighest ring but bomb proof.

My Manfrottto 190 works vey well and it can get in all sorts of positions easily. The head is able to rotate horizontally which has been very helpful. Vortex sells a
Manfrotto system that holds the spotter and the lrf. Not sure how well it works?

precisionriflesolutions.com

check them out...great customer service!

I have a Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 with the 322RC2 head and am very pleased with it, but if you are looking for a compact solution then the Tactical Tripod sure does look to be hard to beat. Just Sayin'...

I have the Manfrotto 190 with aluminum legs and the 322RC2 head. Great set up but can be bulky at times and heavy.

I got to use a Manfrotto 055 with a pistol grip head a couple weeks ago and it's pretty much the single sexiest shooting accessory I've had the pleasure of using. I'll be adding one to my kit shortly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">precisionriflesolutions.com

check them out...great customer service! </div></div>
+1

I have the Champion Shooter stand. It works well, if you deal with any wind at all, do get the bottom weight.

All in all, for the price it's a good stand

I went out and bought the Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 with the 322RC2 head after my cheap tripod got knocked over by a wind gust and broke the head.

I love the Manfrotto I bought. A tad on the heavy side, but it is bomb proof. Will be the last I will have to buy. The grip is Awesome.

The Manfrotto 055XPROB is the bomb. It will go as high or as low as you need it to. The only drawback is it's a little heavy. However if you aren't going to be stalking or humping for several clicks, then that is a good thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Manfrotto 055XPROB is the bomb. It will go as high or as low as you need it to. The only drawback is it's a little heavy. However if you aren't going to be stalking or humping for several clicks, then that is a good thing. </div></div>

+1 on the Manfrotto listed above I have one for my Nikon Field scope 25-75x82. It also allows you to mount the scope from the side of the bench without tipping over. Extend the arm as much as you need it. I have the ball head:

http://www.servicephoto.com/index.php?ma...e1b7e0piif80l90

of the dual head options other than the tactical tripod, what other ones do you guys prefer?

the manfrotos are nice, but they only have one mounting spot. I like to be able to get a spotting scope/video camera and a rangefinder mounted on there.

I'm thinking I need a new head for my Slik tripod, the standard head has too much backlash for me. Anyone know how the manfrotto trigger head is for this? Minimal backlash?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking I need a new head for my Slik tripod, the standard head has too much backlash for me. Anyone know how the manfrotto trigger head is for this? Minimal backlash?</div></div>

"Backlash"? Not sure what that is? Manfrotto makes about a million heads. I've got 4 different ones including two pistol grips and two traditional ball heads and they're all great.

Raider, extra pads are available to screw onto the 322RC2, I've got one on the end and one on the side for two mounting points. I also made up an L bracket with two RC2 QD pads so can mount the Vector and spotter side by side and co-witness them. That mounts on any RC2 equipped head.

As far as 'backlash', the ball heads have none to speak of, but because of the squeeze/release or simple friction movement, they can be a chore to get precise positioning. I mostly use the 410 mini gear head, which I machined to mount an RC2 QD pad for compatability. The three axis gear system makes perfect positioning of the reticle a snap, but it IS heavy.

BracketSystem1.jpg

BracketSystem2.jpg