• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions on who to work on LR 308

Craigm63

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 22, 2012
Georgia
I have a home build LR 308. I am looking for someone to install a new match grade barrel on it. Anyone got any suggestions?

I have a home build LR 308. I am looking for someone to install a new match grade barrel on it. Anyone got any suggestions?

If you "built it at home" and have the proper tools/know-how, then just get any number of quality barrels (either with a matched/headspaced bolt or one build around your existing bolt) and do the install yourself.

Knowing specifically what you are looking for in terms of the specs on the barrel itself, your budget, your timeline, etc. will go a long way in getting you pointed in the right/best direction.

If you are in this for the long haul, buy the tools and get the knowledge to do your own work. You can save a ton of money , time and ensure the job is done right yourself. A bit of a learning curve, but all the resources you could ever want and more are on the net if you search them out. It really is not that hard to do, and in all honesty, you will do a better job than the $10/hr assembly line monkeys at DPMS/Bushmster/ect.

If you "built it at home" and have the proper tools/know-how, then just get any number of quality barrels (either with a matched/headspaced bolt or one build around your existing bolt) and do the install yourself.

Knowing specifically what you are looking for in terms of the specs on the barrel itself, your budget, your timeline, etc. will go a long way in getting you pointed in the right/best direction.

I'm looking for a 18" heavy profile stainless .308 Barrel probably 1-10 twist. I don't have a specific manufacturer in mind. I wouldn't mind doing the install myself, but I would rather have someone that is experienced building accurate rifles. I'm not on an kind of time frame as long as I get it back before the world ends.

I'm looking for a 18" heavy profile stainless .308 Barrel probably 1-10 twist. I don't have a specific manufacturer in mind. I wouldn't mind doing the install myself, but I would rather have someone that is experienced building accurate rifles. I'm not on an kind of time frame as long as I get it back before the world ends.

Call GA Precision. They do great work. They use Bartlein barrels which are top notch.

The first thing to ask, is your upper & lower going to be match grade.

Please explain what a match grade lower is and what makes a match grade upper, match grade?

Call GA Precision. They do great work. They use Bartlein barrels which are top notch.

I called them recently asking about purchasing a barrel from them for a current build and having them install it. They informed me they are focusing all their AR production on their own GAP-10 and gave me a number to some guy who never returned my calls. JP has answered every question and will do work with parts that is not their own. Nothing against GAP as obviously they make highly desired quality products but the customer support before the sale I have got from JP has been by a large margin better.

Maybe GAP treats the returning customer better, I don't know. I may someday get a GAP-10 but I wanted to give them some buisness but I didn't want or need the full blown GAP-10 at that time. I just wanted a quality bartlein barrel to match the one on my Grendel.

Most any competent gunsmith can help you. You might call Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports. Benny uses Criterion Barrels and builds great stuff.

I have a Rainer UltraMatch SPR barrel in my SPR build in .223 Wylde. It's a tack driver. I'm sure that their .308 barrels follow the same quality control as the .223 Wylde barrels do. They use Shilen blanks which are top notch. If it wasn't such a hassle to fit into a LMT MWS, I'd put one in my .308 as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using a rainier barrel too, I've got it in my home built LR308 and I've been happy with it. Its maintained under an inch at 100yds consistently with my hand loads.

Short action customs

I had Mark Gordon, short action customs, build my upper for the same reason you want someone to put yours together. You want to make sure it is done correctly. He put a Krieger 6.5 creed on mine, it is a laser. Great communication and fast. He is relatively local to me though.