• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Suggestions-Thermal vision/suppressed AR10 caliber hogs/whitetail/varmints

312InchMagnum

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2020
Texas
I have a new thermal vision scope and suppressor on the way. I am going to build or purchase an AR10 platform rifle as I do not currently have one. I also have a couple 5.56 AR15s I’ll switch to scope and suppressor between. Will be used for hunting deer, hogs, varmints in TEXAS. Will be doing some target shooting but not a ton. Debating between .308 and 6.5 creedmoor. 6.5 creedmoor is “all the rage” and I was dead set on it. But I’m thinking .308 may be more practical with ammo choice and selection (hopefully at least when all the covid/election crap dies down). I will not be loading my own bullets. All shots will be within 300 or so yards. Thoughts?

I pretty much did what you're doing. I had a spare 308 AR upper without an optic. Tossed on a NV scope and that's what i'm using. Unless you're hunting out west, it's probably safe to say most of your shots will be under 200. I have a 6.5cm bolt gun and multiple 308s. For what you're trying to accomplish, i'd build a 308 and call it a day. Unless you just really want a 6.5cm semi. I'm in central TX and for sure won't be shooting over 200, mainly 150 and in.

I pretty much did what you're doing. I had a spare 308 AR upper without an optic. Tossed on a NV scope and that's what i'm using. Unless you're hunting out west, it's probably safe to say most of your shots will be under 200. I have a 6.5cm bolt gun and multiple 308s. For what you're trying to accomplish, i'd build a 308 and call it a day. Unless you just really want a 6.5cm semi. I'm in central TX and for sure won't be shooting over 200, mainly 150 and in.

same here...200 yard is realistically the furthest I’d shoot. 300 is pushing it...thanks for the input!...seems to always be some nice .308s in the classifieds on here...few there now...

Look at the 6.8SPC. It will give you clean kills out to 200 yards with a lot less recoil than you will get with the .308

To 200 yards, the .308 is going to edge out the 6.5 in energy, even if you stretched out to 300 on that rare occasion as stated. If mostly a hunting rig to moderate ranges, the .308 is an easy choice for me.

I've put together two 18" .308 rifles for hog hunting. To me that is about the perfect balance between portability and enough velocity to keep the bullets doing what I want them to do when they hit hogs (although it really isn't that much more velocity than you'll see from a 16" barrel).

My sample size is limited so far to 19 hogs, but holy hell did I notice better terminal performance than with my 6.8 or 6.5 G. It's the reason why I put together a second .308 after I gave the first to my dad. Another good thing about the. 308 was the increased lethality with plain old cheap soft point hunting ammo. If you don't reload $17/box (back in August, 2020) of Federal 150gr is easier to swallow than $23/box of 6.8 or 6.5 SST ammo (bullet selection becomes much more critical).

I haven’t seen any issues from energy especially when comparing such small differences such as 6.5 Creed to 308 at 200. I do however see a noticeable difference in being able to hit the target with a fast flat caliber. Thermal is practically impossible to judge distance, and a fast flat caliber is far more forgiving with mistaking 300 yds for 350. Recently I’ve been running a 22 Creed for my thermal rig for this very reason.