• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors suggestions9mm for the wife

Placebo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
Illinois, Big rock
I was able to get my wife to the range this year by getting her a Sig Mosquito. It was like giving candy to a baby. Now I would like to upgrade her to a 9mm and was thinking the Sig p250. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance
John

Re: suggestions9mm for the wife

Maybe a Sig p229? Its a good size and you seem to be a Sig fan already. I've not heard great reviews about the P250's, and handling them the fit didn't seem to be as good as an alloy framed Sig typically is. But I haven't shot a P250, just fondled several so far.

Also, the P239 is a nice single stack 9mm but it may be too small if she's not proficient at shooting medium pistol calibers yet.

Outside of the Sig line, I'm a big fan of the Beretta PX4 in both regular size and subcompact, it's a solid and reliable gun and a good medium sized doublestack 9mm. The change-out backstraps actually work pretty well and either slim the pistol down or bulk it up to fit different hands.

Others would say Glock and they are fine too if she likes it, though I find my Beretta to be more accurate at the range.

glock 19 or m&p 9

229 is very nice as well but a lil heavy maybe? NOT a 250 though.

My wife has a Glock 19, and it would be a fine choice. I would check out a S&W M&P9 and a Walther PPS also. See which fits her hands best. Since your wife now enjoys the shooting sport, you are in a perfect position to add new items to your inventory...LOL. Good luck in your search.

Thanks everyone for your help. I now have a great list of pistols for her to hopefully try at the shop/range. I appreciate all of your inputs and help.

Have her try different ones out. I bought my dad a Glock 26 and he can barely rack the slide due to his arthritis so make sure she tries out ones that work for her vs. you picking out one that you think should work for her.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have her try different ones out. I bought my dad a Glock 26 and he can barely rack the slide due to his arthritis so make sure she tries out ones that work for her vs. you picking out one that you think should work for her. </div></div>

This will definately be her picking it out. I want her to feel comfortable with it so she will definately want to go shooting more. As before, thanks everyone for input. Much appreciated

SIG P225/P6, SIG P239 (can get the short trigger for it), and the S&W 3913, a real sleeper of a good little piece in 9mm

You can still get Sig P6 German police trade ins for about $375. Great guns and it is a single stack 9mm so it fits hands of a smaller stature better. My wife likes her glock 19 quite well though.

You should start by letting her pick up several different guns. Obviously, some are going to fit her hand better than others. She will be able to narrow down the choices quickly.

My wife loves her M&P Pro Series. I was actually planning on buying it from a buddy and she was with me when I shot it prior to buying. The next week, when I tried to give him a check for my 1st payment he informed me that my lovely bride had already paid for it. I can't complain, it's still in the safe and I still get to shoot it... but, it's HER pistol. What she liked about the M&P was the interchangeable back straps. The Glocks didn't quite fit her hand and with the S&W we can switch them out. She also really likes my CZ75. The CZ is all steel so it has even less recoil which I think is a plus with her.

+1000 on having her try out different makes/models. If she's not comfortable just holding it she probably won't like shooting it. (man, that sounded kind of dirty...
blush.gif
)

Forgot to mention, a model that has a .22 conversion might not be a bad idea either.

Downrange - have you shot an aegis? I've wanted to get one for some time - love Kimber products and the aegis looks like it would be a great carry gun. I wondered about the recoil - even tho it's a 9mm.

I usually advise against subcompacts such as the Glock 26 because a full size gun is easier to shoot and learn with....they also tend to be less reliable than full size counterparts

Glock 26 unreliable? That's good for a laugh at the least.

My choice would be an M&P, however, for reasons I've articulated repeatedly on this forum.

I would be concerned with the Sig P228 or P229 stock, double action trigger. It can prove to be very difficult for some without strong hands. I would also stay away from the Sig P228 in general due to its double roll pin system, go with the 229 if thats the size of handgun you want. If you are not worried entirely about round capacity look at the p239, really a good slim grip.

In general if you to run a full size standard duty pistol against its subcompact variant and in general the full size gun will not only be easier to shoot, but will also run better....not to say the Glock 26 isn't reliable, but running a 17 hard in the field against a 26 will likely have the 26 jam 1st

I wonder if his wife will be "running it hard in the field". She is obviously not in law enforcement or security or he would not have posted the question.

ok for 1st time or recreational shooters I still recommend full size pistols...over compact models (which I would reserve only for special duty...such as deep cover/back up pieces)....1.) full size pistols tend to function better so a novice shooter doesn't get disheartened shooting a jam-o-matic 2.) if a gun runs hard reliably in the field it's going to be ultra reliable on the square recreational range 3.) a full size 9mm is soft shooting/compared to trying to teach a beginner/novice with a Smith 29....also the slide on a compact pistol has less mass so they tend to cycle faster and recoil more 4.) better sight radius on a full size gun 5.) in general easier weapons manipulation with a full size gun (be it a recreational shooter or a high speed low drag user 5.) J frames are great for a gun carried a lot and shot little for close range self defense (I know you can shoot a J at extended range, but thats more for a challenge and novelty 6.) I personally prefer the consistent triggers of the Glock/1911 compared to a DA/SA trigger......my answer to the initial question is still either a Glock 17 or HK P30 lem

Thanks everyone for the input. She read the thread and is now looking forward to handling differant pistols tomorrow and during the week. I will let everyone know what she decides on.

Thanks again

Thanks everyone for the input. She read the thread and is now looking forward to handling differant pistols tomorrow and during the week. I will let everyone know what she decides on.

Thanks again

My wife rocks a S&W M&P 9mm and loves it. She also shoots a full sized S&W 357 Mag with 38's. Her purse gun is a S&W M&P 340, with 38+P's. The full sized one is for her to practice at the range the double action trigger pull, and recoils like a pussycat. Which is the idea. She has shot all my Sig's and likes them alot. She has fired all the 1911's I have and likes them.
I say for conceled carry a 9mm with a plastic frame, S&W or Glock, or whatever she shoots the best. For a house gun, a heavier Sig with a light. Whatever you decide, keep her in plenty of ammo, and get her to a class.
With my wife, no ammo comes home from the range. All good to me.
JPG

A single Stack SIG P225 (9mm), a H&K P7PSP or maybe a Double Stacked P228.

I purchased my wife a P228 some years ago. If it's being carried, the P225 will be the lightest of the 3.

The Sig P250 (Subcompact) is also a very nice - smooth DAO trigger action pistol

My wife went with a Sig 239 she did not like the G19 or 26. She said the grip was too fat.

my wife went with the S & W M&P9 Full Size. Thanks everyone for your input. She held the glock, Beretta which she also liked and a couple differant sigs along with a H&K but said the Smith felt the best and was most comfortable holding. She might want to get a compact for Xmas or her birthday in May.

not really my area as i say live and let live, but id think a 9mm is a little light for use on wives unless ther really petite maybe. get a 1911,lol.

My wife has the Kimber Aegis full size. She really likes the thin grip and the weight. We had some problems with the factory mags. Picked up some wilson mags and it has been reliable ever since. I don't like the cut down safety but she has not had any problems with it.

Glock 19 is my pick ez to use, also it is a big upgrade from the Sig Mosquito. The Sig P239 is also a nice gun with it's slim grip due to the single stack mag. My wife likes the Glock 19, a friend's wife picked the Sig P239.

bought mine a certified used P229 w night sites (factory re-furbished with warranty) for around $550. Not too heavy at all. It actually helps with the recoil. She loves it.

The GLOCK 19 has been suggested a ton in this thread but I haven't seen anyone mention price and/or J&G Sales out of Prescott, AZ.

You can get a used generation 3 G19 w/night sights from J&G for about $450. My wife loves hers. It might be a good option for you.

Good luck.

Depends on what fits her hands. XD might be the ticket....