• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suicidal Vet seeks help, charged instead....

ArmaHeavy

General of the Army
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2008
From http://hamptonroads.com/node/629974...

The Roanoke Times
© February 12, 2012
By Laurence Hammack

ROANOKE

Homeless and depressed, Sean Duvall wandered the streets of Blacksburg, each step taking him closer to suicide.

In his backpack he carried a final note to his family and a crude, homemade gun fashioned from a piece of steel pipe, a shotgun shell and a nail rigged as a firing pin. For seven days, he contemplated killing himself.

Then, on the night of June 8, 2011, Duvall turned to the country he had served.

A veteran of the U.S. Navy, Duvall called a toll-free crisis line the Department of Veterans Affairs offers as a confidential resource for troubled veterans.

Duvall was looking for help. Instead, he found himself in federal court, charged with possessing a destructive device and three related felonies that could send him to prison for 40 years.

For the government to promise a veteran help through a confidential crisis line, then betray that trust by using his own words to convict him, is more than just unfair, Duvall's attorney argues.

"This is dishonorable," federal public defender Randy Cargill wrote in court papers. "It is wrong; it is unfair; it shocks the conscience."

In a motion to dismiss the charges, which describes the events of June 8, Cargill argues that Duvall's treatment amounts to a violation of his due process rights under the Fifth Amendment.

Prosecutors say whatever confidentiality existed between Duvall and the counselor who took his call ended when the 45-year-old veteran announced he was armed and suicidal.

"Confidentiality is not absolute," Assistant U.S. Attorney Don Wolthuis wrote in a response to Cargill's motion to have the charges thrown out.

A judge will consider the request at a hearing set for Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Roanoke.

'His lowest moment'

Sean Duvall grew up in Pulaski County, the product of a military family. His father was a Marine who fought in Vietnam; his mother served in the Navy.

At the age of 25, he enlisted in the Navy, serving two tours on a destroyer in the Persian Gulf and off the coast of Somalia as tensions lingered from the Persian Gulf War.

After his honorable discharge in 1995, Duvall returned to Virginia and found work at a Roanoke steel plant. Later, he took a job as a cook at Virginia Tech.

Because the job was part time, Duvall was forced out of work in May 2011 when he met his maximum number of hours for the year. Unable to pay his rent, he was evicted from his Blacksburg apartment.

Duvall could have applied for unemployment benefits. He could have asked his mother or ex-wife for help. He could have gone to a homeless shelter. He did none of those things.

"As Mr. Duvall describes it, he was both too depressed and 'too proud,'" his lawyer later wrote in court papers, which detail his personal and military history. (Duvall declined through his attorney to be interviewed, and Cargill said he could not comment on the case.)

On June 1, Duvall left his apartment with a few belongings in his backpack. One of them was the makeshift gun, Cargill wrote, which he had assembled for the sole purpose of killing himself.

Duvall spent the next week walking aimlessly and sleeping on the ground, sinking deeper into a depression that began during his military service and worsened with the 2008 death of his father.

At an earlier visit to the VA Medical Center in Salem — where doctors believed Duvall might be suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder — he was encouraged to call the national crisis line for veterans.

Assuming that what he said would be kept in confidence, Duvall decided to seek help at what his lawyer would later call "his lowest moment" — the time when his suicidal urges were the strongest.

Duvall pulled out his cellphone and dialed 800-273-8255.

Privacy vs. public danger

Duvall told the counselor who answered his call in upstate New York that he had lost everything, according to court records.

He talked about walking the streets for days, away from everything he owned. He described his gun and what he planned to do next, saying he was ready to give up.

At that point, the counselor promised to send help and asked Duvall for his location.

Looking around, Duvall spotted a blue light from a Virginia Tech police phone in the parking lot of the school's international student center on Clay Street. He waited there for a police officer to arrive.

The officer drove Duvall to a psychiatric hospital, where he spent several days. Duvall was released to the care of New River Valley Community Services. With the help of counseling and medication, his mental state improved and he later found a new job, according to court records.

Nine days after he made his call for help, Duvall learned of its consequences.

He was charged on June17 with carrying a concealed weapon, a misdemeanor under state law. That charge was later dropped to allow a federal investigation.

In October, a grand jury in U.S. District Court indicted Duvall on four felony charges: possessing a destructive device, making a destructive device, possessing an unregistered destructive device and possessing a destructive device not identified by a serial number. Each charge carries up to 10 years in prison.

"The charges against Mr. Duvall should be dismissed for the most basic reason: It is wrong to break a promise," Cargill wrote in a motion filed earlier this month.

"It is wrong to tell a man that what he says will be kept in confidence †and then use statements and evidence given in reliance of that promise to charge the man."

A spokeswoman for the Department of Veterans Affairs said a key goal of the crisis line is to respect a caller's privacy. Counselors are trained to explore options to calling the police, Laurie Tranter said.

However, federal laws allow the crisis line to "disclose information that is otherwise protected in compelling circumstances," Tranter said. Those circumstances include cases of serious and imminent threats to the safety of the veteran or others.

"Duvall was suicidal and had a homemade firearm," Wolthuis, the federal prosecutor, wrote in a motion arguing that the counselor's decision to call police was proper. Further, he argued, Duvall waived any promise of confidentiality when he agreed to wait for a police officer to arrive.

"The United States saved Duvall's life, rather than shocking anyone's conscience by forcing him to do anything against his will," Wolthuis wrote.

Weapons of destruction

The federal definition of a destructive device puts machine guns and hand grenades in the same category as the contraption that Duvall carried in his backpack.

But there are limits to such a homemade weapon, sometimes referred to as a zip gun.

For the weapon to work, Duvall would have to position himself in front of its 8-inch barrel and strike the other end, containing the shotgun shell and firing pin, against a wall or other hard surface.

"The device posed absolutely no threat to anyone except the person who stood directly in front of the opening while simultaneously causing it to discharge," Cargill wrote in his motion to dismiss the charge.

Federal prosecutors say an analysis of the weapon found it to be a destructive device — and that possession of such a weapon should not be protected by a counselor-caller privilege.

"It cannot be the rule of law that crimes detected out of a wellness check are immune from prosecution," Wolthuis wrote.

Taking Duvall's argument to the extreme, he argued, would be to say that police could not file charges if they responded to a veteran's plea for help and discovered he had killed his wife and children.

A chilling effect?

While acknowledging there can be a fine line between helping veterans and protecting them and others from harm, one mental health advocate said she was disturbed by the way Duvall's case was handled.

"It's just really disappointing," said Mira Signer, executive director of the Virginia chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness.

Signer said filing criminal charges against Duvall runs counter to the very notion of a crisis line: to help a mentally ill person get treatment.

"That person is not going to be any better off after they have had four felonies slapped on them," she said.

With more service personnel returning from Iraq and Afghanistan — often bearing emotional scars that can be harder to treat than a bullet wound — the military is expanding its efforts at outreach and counseling.

The Department of Veterans Affairs created the crisis line in 2007, in part to curb suicides by veterans, which by one estimate number 18 a day in the United States.

More than 240,000 calls have been made to the line, and about 20,000 have resulted in some form of rescue. Only a small percentage of the callers were in imminent danger of hurting themselves or others, Tranter said.

While authorities may need to get involved in those cases, mental advocates say, they don't have to seek convictions if an appropriate treatment option is available.

In Southwest Virginia, for example, a new Veterans Treatment Court allows those charged with federal crimes to get court-supervised help with substance abuse, mental illness or whatever lies at the root of their legal troubles. For reasons that were unclear last week, prosecutors have not extended that option to Duvall.

"The terrible part of this is, for whatever reason, they saw fit to turn this into a criminal matter," Signer said. Could that reason be that Duvall made his call for help near the Tech campus, where heightened vigilance remains from the 2007 mass shootings by a mentally ill killer?

"I don't think that's a stretch of the imagination," Signer said.

Still, Signer worries that Duvall's experience might discourage others with mental illness from calling a crisis line.

"That's a major barrier for people reaching out for help," she said. "They are thinking, 'How is this going to come back to haunt me?'"

Re: Suicidal Vet seeks help, charged instead....

That's how far some peoples "Thanks for what you do" goes. It's a shame. Hope he comes out alright.

<span style="font-size: 17pt"> <span style="color: #CC0000">AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRGGGG </span> </span>

What's the quote... For evil to win good men do nothing... Every single person front the arresting cops to the clerk let evil win...

I'm going to see if there's some way to contribute to this gentleman's defense fund. It's a disgrace what's happened to him and how many who are tasked with representing the social good are doing the opposite.

I would say that an even more powerful thing to do would be to contact both of your Senators, and your Congressman, and let them know about the situation, and your thoughts on what should be done in this case.

Yes, it does work.

Sadly its easier to take a man like this off the street than to get him help. That is whats going on here. The powers that be see him as a threat and know that it will be a long hard road to get him help.

I served with a good decent guy who served his country faithfully for quite a good number of years . One day at a VCP I approached a vehicle and went to speak to the driver . While speaking to him I heard "david" who was manning the GPMG shout at me ! Ed hit the deck !

I hit the deck and then david opened up with the GPMG into the car killing all the occupants . I neatly shit myself with the fright of having multiple .50's fly over my head .

Turned out one of the passengers had slipped out the door and was taking aim to shoot me . David seen him . He saved my life .

We lost contact when we got home . He was never the same after that incident .

About 2 years ago I walked by what I thought was a down and out drunk on the street . Next thing I heard him shout to me " what's up Sgt too good to speak to me . It was david . We went for a coffee . The guy broke my heart listening and I'm not to big to admit I cried with him . Drinking , drugs and a marriage breakup over his actions that day cost him everything and he slipped through the cracks as well . Mental health issues combined to leave a decent proud man homeless .

I made a few calls and we managed to get him to a VA hospital .

To all the gung ho kick ass and take no prisoners who post silly shit about these issues need to be taken out and fucking flogged . anyone involved in his incarceration should hang their heads in shame .

But for the grace of god that could have been me or any other vet going through a hard time .

That man on that article needs help not prison . It was a cry for help

This is fucked up in every which way. Could have definitely been handled differently by all involved.

Piss poor. My only hope is that his charges are dismissed and that this is a blessing in disguise and he gets the help he needs.

For all of you who have served and might want to consider addressing it, and/or for all of you all who know someone who has served and whom you think should address it, here are a couple of sites that might be useful.

http://www.realwarriors.net/

http://www.washjeff.edu/news/wj-hos...h-conference-combat-stress-today’s-military-1

In my other life I'm an LEO and Vet shrink LOL - remember the Police Surgeons on NYPD Blue a whole bunch a years ago that the guys in the precinct had to go see?
Well, I would be one of them, though I think of myself in that role as perhaps a bit more, shall we see, credible.

Seriously, those two url's could well be helpful to any Vet and/or family who even remotely think that service member/service family might be in need of assistance. Any vet who might be in need of a referral, PM me here and I'll do the best I can to find somebody in your area who can lend a strong and compassionate hand - no charge
smile.gif

tony

US Attorney Don Wolthuis has done more harm to those who need help and trusted the system that promised help then he will ever know, All because he wants to become a judge some day and does not care abt anybody except him self. I just wonder how many lies he told the grand jury to get his this to were it is now. Just another soul to step on, on his way up the corrupt latter to fame. BASTARD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are circling the drain boys. . . . . . . .</div></div>

This..+1000. Question is how fucked up do things have to become before the populous realizes we need to start with a clean slate.

I truly hope that this Don Wolthius doesn't die from an acute case of rectal cancer. I hope if he has a daughter she doesn't end up on the street selling tricks to fund her meth habit.

Really.

Unfortunately we can all hold our heads high, and proudly salute our flag knowing that we paid for this, each and every one of us who went to work today funded this horseshit.

I have to stop now because what I want to suggest we do is a felony.

But the outcome would be morally superior to what this sorry fucking US Attorney did.

This country is a joke, the people in power need a serious hip check into the boards once in a while so they know they're not the only one's with a stick in this game.....

sean

If I had read this story anywhere else, I'm not sure I would've believed it. I cannot help but ask...WHAT THE FUCK has happened to America that people stand idly by and allow this kind of shit to happen?!

Circling the drain, we certainly are, and at break neck speed. I am so thankful that I chose to not have kids because there's no telling what we'll see within the next 5-10yrs.

Its up to us to help vets like this wherever we are because these government bureaucrats can think of nothing but brute force. Ironic, considering that our government seems to give our enemies every consideration but nothing but the back of their hands to our own citizens.

Sadly, vets should no longer try to seek "government" help for PTSD. The Veterans Disarmament Act passed in 2008 sadly being another reason to avoid this route.

Not to get to political . but Ya that was a weird trade-off in 2008 just before Bush left office he passed the Right to Carry in Nat. Parks but immediately after that he signed the Vet. Disarm Act . Gain-one & Loose another with a stroke of a pen .

I cant think of a more dis_honorable treatment then his guy is getting!

It just makes you sit back and wonder how F"ed up this P.C bullshit is wasting away the very same freedoms that some give there lives to protect.

Sound of another nail in the common sense coffin, i am truely sorry.

Just sent a copy of this to the Oathkeepers, in hopes they may have a helpful suggestion. I will contact my federal representatives. If you you Guys haven't checked out Oatkeepers, look 'em up. I'm a member.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sadly, vets should no longer try to seek "government" help for PTSD. The Veterans Disarmament Act passed in 2008 sadly being another reason to avoid this route. </div></div>

Exactly. If this story had a happier ending it might encourage vets with troubles to seek help from the right places. However, if this is how they choose to treat them, there are going to be more issues with public violence because vets with PTSD are going to simply acquiesce to destructive thoughts instead of seeking help. This story is pitiful at best.

I just wish these lawyers and politicians would be required to serve the country for a few years. It might change their perspective...or not. Ignorance and idiocy are killing the term "public servant".

Josh

I often wonder if I am the only one who sees the only way we will fix what ails US is to take up arms and fucking FIX IT. I am sick to death of my fellow vets being treated like criminals when they seek assistance. WE are not few, we are not many, WE ARE LEGION! We outnumber most demographics. On my campus we are 35%+ of the student body, and we all want the same thing. We want to be left alone to pursue our little part of the American Dream, adn when we ask for help or assistance, we would like confidentiality, a helping hand, and a ear with a friendly voice who understands where we have been and what we have done.
Yes, I see many many vets working the jobs in the VA, but I also see many civilians who just don't get it. THIS is the reason me and my friends, we got our own network. We got an issue, we talk to one another and screw teh system. Why? Because shit like this!
Yes, this pisses me off, so what. I am not alone. You hear that, I AM NOT ALONE. If each and every Vet understood this, that there is always someone close who will listen or offer a little comfort, they would all know. AS I said, we are legion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For all of you who have served and might want to consider addressing it, and/or for all of you all who know someone who has served and whom you think should address it, here are a couple of sites that might be useful.

http://www.realwarriors.net/

Seriously, those two url's could well be helpful to any Vet and/or family who even remotely think that service member/service family might be in need of assistance. Any vet who might be in need of a referral, PM me here and I'll do the best I can to find somebody in your area who can lend a strong and compassionate hand - no charge
tony </div></div>

That is still a government site. It would be nice if there were a network of BTDT people,
across the US willing offer a sound advice and just sometimes an ear. Have a "pro" from the government give them the a brief (maybe Internet?) course like suicide-hotline dispatchers receive, then leave it in their hands to help one another. Third-party private (non-electronic medical record MD or PA backup) in a region for meds, but no government/insurance data-easily-extractable computer records.

I hate to say it but I just think the time this info. is used against us is around the corner.

Amen to Switch and UKD. I wonder if we could start our own network for people that are not around friends? get them pointed in the right direction.

The network is here. Our emails are checked every morning over coffee or at night while watching the tube. When one of us needs help or a friendly ear, we have email to at least get it started.
Some may have to wait a few hours, but waiting a few hours knowing someone will listen cannot be as bad as calling an official line and cops coming to arrest you for something you didn't do or deserve to be taken for.
If we cannot take care of our own, may I call your attention to a patch I see on every biker who was ever in the military:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">I AM My Brother's Keeper</span></span></span>