• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing summer coyote hunting

viva la figa

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2017
I know most of us hunt yotes in the winter. Does anyone out west (CA, NV, OR, NM, AZ) hunt in the summer? What works well for you?

I tend to leave them alone when they may have pups at a den. Some people use the territorial nature of whelping season to their advantage. Kind of dirtbagish in my opinion, but your hunt, your life, your choice, and just my opinion. For areas with deer overpopulation summer hunting of coyotes tends to exacerbate the problem. Conversely places with low population of deer, can often be bolstered by thinning coyotes in the spring to boost fawn survival rates. Too many of any creature is bad news.

In the states listed, there is not a deer overpopulation issue and there are issues with fawn and cattle deaths due to coyotes. I'm with coldbore, its open season. I don't typically get out during the summer as its over 100 here until about october, but I have dropped 3 in the last two weeks at my shooting spot. They don't really venture too far from the den right now, but if you know where the den is and you can stand the heat, they'll come out a couple hundred yards. If you're calling in July and August you'll probably find pups wandering into calls as they start to leave the den.

Ill take em any way I can. Had one make bonzi charge at the front of my favorite 1948 MG TC while I was doing 50 mph on the freeway one night. I am in So Cal and they are a flaming pest around the suburban neighborhoods. Its funny how the local enviro hippys scream and shout about how how everyone should ☾☮ E ✡ ☼ † and feel the Bern, but yet wonder why their little purse dog goes missing when the big bad mean non vegan coyote does not subscribe to their utopian "lets all get along" society.

Literally had a lady come up to me as I was changing at the beach parking lot after doing some spearfishing that I was a "murderer" for not "getting my food at the grocery store where no animals get hurt"....shhheeeeeeeesh......some people!!!!!

BUT I digress....is anyone in CA that wants to meet up and do some long range yote hunting? I have gotten a few before and have all the gear...just looking for someone that is a bit more knowledgeable and that can help me increase my success rate.

If you really want to kill coyotes in So Cal get a crossbow and be sneaky !, urban pet munchers are fair game as far as I'm concerned , for those of us in the real west the only good coyote is a dead coyote regardless of the time of year . If pelts are what you are after be sneaky and concentrate on the urban vermin , otherwise help out the game animals and KILL anything with fangs or claws at every opportunity !

If you really want to kill coyotes in So Cal get a crossbow and be sneaky !, urban pet munchers are fair game as far as I'm concerned , for those of us in the real west the only good coyote is a dead coyote regardless of the time of year . If pelts are what you are after be sneaky and concentrate on the urban vermin , otherwise help out the game animals and KILL anything with fangs or claws at every opportunity !

Or good 22 or 25 cal pellet rifle.

I really don't care what version of the universe you subscribe too, the basic of it all is the predator prey relationship, and the coyote seems to be natures built in safe guard. I don't give a fuck what they tried, those crafty little bastards shrugged it off, and maintained population. So for you opportunists driving down the road and pretending you hit the coyote you shot at; and that somehow helped control the population, and "helped" the game. LOL.

I have worked cattle and calves plenty in my life, never seen a calf eaten by a coyote that I didn't think was going to die anyway. Couldn't say which came first on any of them. All you city slickers keep it up though. LOL.

Right now with pelts worth money I shoot all I can, Nov, Dec, Jan sometimes still couple good ones in Feb, but usually they are bluing by then. Nobody pays good money for summer hides, that I know of anyway. I bet Cali hides are shit year around anyway. Personally I like the coyotes better than chihuahuas, feral cats, and rats, and Californians.

Of course if a theoretical bunch of guys couldn't understand the difference between tree hugging fuckin hippies and wildlife conservation and management. Then I wouldn't expect them to understand anything else I said, or want know anything I have learned; hunting furs all my life.

Afraid you are already probably too late to kill the mother and starve the pups though, maybe next year try to get them in April or May, if starving puppies is what gets your jollies off.
[h=1][/h]

Last edited:
I have hunted SoCal in the summer. Decent success rate. When I call pups in I usually let them walk. Just my choice though. I am not in commifornia now, but have some good friends there that dog hunt around Camp Pendleton on the weekends.

Or good 22 or 25 cal pellet rifle.

I really don't care what version of the universe you subscribe too, the basic of it all is the predator prey relationship, and the coyote seems to be natures built in safe guard. I don't give a fuck what they tried, those crafty little bastards shrugged it off, and maintained population. So for you opportunists driving down the road and pretending you hit the coyote you shot at; and that somehow helped control the population, and "helped" the game. LOL.

I have worked cattle and calves plenty in my life, never seen a calf eaten by a coyote that I didn't think was going to die anyway. Couldn't say which came first on any of them. All you city slickers keep it up though. LOL.

Right now with pelts worth money I shoot all I can, Nov, Dec, Jan sometimes still couple good ones in Feb, but usually they are bluing by then. Nobody pays good money for summer hides, that I know of anyway. I bet Cali hides are shit year around anyway. Personally I like the coyotes better than chihuahuas, feral cats, and rats, and Californians.

Of course if a theoretical bunch of guys couldn't understand the difference between tree hugging fuckin hippies and wildlife conservation and management. Then I wouldn't expect them to understand anything else I said, or want know anything I have learned; hunting furs all my life.

Afraid you are already probably too late to kill the mother and starve the pups though, maybe next year try to get them in April or May, if starving puppies is what gets your jollies off.
[h=1][/h]

I left Calimexifornia 23 years ago and now concentrate on predators here in New Mexico , I agree their is no way to exterminate them at all . I set snares and call on a few properties that raise sheep down south and cattle close to where I live . On any given day you can always find scat and tracks in areas you would have sworn you cleaned out . I've seen plenty of calves that were depredated and witnessed packs of coyotes chasing Does to get them to drop fawns prematurely . I shoot them at every opportunity and trap from December through March depending on the weather for pelts , lot's of nice Bobcats around here also and much more profitable !
I look at predators as a resource and try to do what I can to give the dwindling Deer herds a better chance

I left Calimexifornia 23 years ago and now concentrate on predators here in New Mexico , I agree their is no way to exterminate them at all . I set snares and call on a few properties that raise sheep down south and cattle close to where I live . On any given day you can always find scat and tracks in areas you would have sworn you cleaned out . I've seen plenty of calves that were depredated and witnessed packs of coyotes chasing Does to get them to drop fawns prematurely . I shoot them at every opportunity and trap from December through March depending on the weather for pelts , lot's of nice Bobcats around here also and much more profitable !
I look at predators as a resource and try to do what I can to give the dwindling Deer herds a better chance

There is no doubt in my mind they are very hard on Deer fawns. I saw a lot of good coyote country in NM on my way to Vegas this year, actually both NM and NV. Here we are in a situation where insurance companies are trying to stop paying out on Deer collisions, so I let them do their thing most of the year, then steal their healthy pelts. I thought about starting to trap. All the guys I know who trap fill a lot more stretchers, I am not sure what you can still use in Colorado.

I have goats and have had problems with them getting carried off, so yotes get shot despite time of year. They are a non-native invasive species here (Southeast).

Around here, hunting freshly cut hay fields or freshly bush hogged pasture is great hunting. It's not uncommon for them to be out in a field while it's being cut.

Im in N New Mexico, I see them running around my neighborhood all the time. We are waiting for the wind to die down and going to give it a NVG try. When I first moved here someone called animal control on me because they thought my heeler was a yote. He is kinda a asshole so...

im in n new mexico, i see them running around my neighborhood all the time. We are waiting for the wind to die down and going to give it a nvg try. When i first moved here someone called animal control on me because they thought my heeler was a yote. He is kinda a asshole so...

hahahaha

Wondering what summer techniques you guys use to scout for yotes in the summer?

Was thinking about going out at night (illegal to hunt them at night here in Kommiefornia) and just calling for them to see where I get responses.....then come back in the daytime this fall and winter and hunt them

I personally don't scout that way. I drive around alot and look for yotes in my area. When I see one I try to come back later and call them in at a similar time of day or early morning or evening. I have access to alot of private land, I grew up on the farm as a kid so I talk to neighbors and make contacts frequently. Farmers and ranchers like dead coyotes. I have read on predator masters that some guys scout the way you described, but I never had good luck when I tried that. I go out with binos or rangefinder and glass alot. I have 4 guys that I hunt with regularly and they all have connections and we are constantly trying to make new ones. The more access you have the more you'll kill. its a numbers game. Also coyotes tend to be around livestock. Where theres livestock theres a water source and cows leave afterbirth which the coyotes like to clean up and cow patty's are also a source of nutrients if the going gets tough. I killed 7 in a square mile area in a little over a month this winter in the area of our cattle.

Fawn sounds are great in the summer. Even if you don't kill it makes the yote's nervous to go looking for noisy fawns.
Only other thing I do is stay within a half mile of water vs in winter I hunt anywhere. They hit water 3x more often in the summer here, so increases your odds being closer.

Fawn sounds are great in the summer. Even if you don't kill it makes the yote's nervous to go looking for noisy fawns.
Only other thing I do is stay within a half mile of water vs in winter I hunt anywhere. They hit water 3x more often in the summer here, so increases your odds being closer.

I agree on the fawn sound
i killed a Female two nights ago ;
she fell for a fawn in distress call
she came as close as 5-7 feet from the call before I took the shot