• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sun shades

BenjaminMartin6.5

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 5, 2018
Florida
How important is a sunshade on your scope? Want to start shooting comps but hav not needed one up til now. Thanks for input.

On my rifle, my scope sits too low to put a sun shade on so ive always gone with out. From everything i underatand though a sun shade can help to “clear up” your sight picture.
If you can run one i would becuase it can only help. If you cant... youre not alone.

Depends. Here in AZ, I run one all the time. You know, because of all the sun and stuff. :ROFLMAO:

But they can also serve to help prevent rain and dirt from getting on your lens, as well as reduce mirage from a hot barrel (though you usually have to stack them to be ridiculously long to be any help there).

If one is available for the optic I'm using, I'll generally use it.

I leave mine on 99% of the time although at the night match a few weeks ago I did pull it but I never checked to see if it hampered anything.

Always gotta have it. I hunt with my rifle and most activity is at dawn/dusk when the sun is low. It helps with keeping sun glare away!!!

You won’t notice not having one until you really need it.

I’d suggest running one and take it off in low light.

How important is a sunshade on your scope? Want to start shooting comps but hav not needed one up til now. Thanks for input.

As I was told once upon a time, "you don't really need a sun shade... until you do - and then you'll really need it!"

They don't add much weight and do protect the front lens. So if you have the room, why not?

Bob S.

As I was told once upon a time, "you don't really need a sun shade... until you do - and then you'll really need it!"

They don't add much weight and do protect the front lens. So if you have the room, why not?

Bob S.
Thank you very much, sir.

Bob S.
Thanks, I will get one.

Depends. Here in AZ, I run one all the time. You know, because of all the sun and stuff. :ROFLMAO:

But they can also serve to help prevent rain and dirt from getting on your lens, as well as reduce mirage from a hot barrel (though you usually have to stack them to be ridiculously long to be any help there).

If one is available for the optic I'm using, I'll generally use it.
What length do you recommend?

What length do you recommend?

The geneal rule is to use a shade at least as long as your objective is wide, for maximum effectiveness. So for a 56mm objective, a 56mm long sun shade would provide the most effective sheild from incoming sun rays for everything short of nearly head-on rays. Longer becomes more effective, but at some point, you reach diminishing returns. For the most part, use what comes with your scope, as that's generally more than sufficient. Many can be stacked, but it's not usually necessary.

I shoot on a range that runs perfectly east and west so I find it to be a must have in the afternoon. That way I am not totally blind.