• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sunglasses what do you

Re: sunglasses what do you

Nike Veer. The lenses come out so made it easy to have them done in prescription. Great wraparound frames

I currently have a pair of oakley flak jackets XLJ's that I wear everywhere but work. For work I have a pair of Oakley Split Jackets.

I have had a couple pairs of the flak jaket and love them. The split jacket don't fit my face as well but they fit closer around the eyes and offer a little more protection.

The have also owned a couple pair of the half jacket XLJ's and like them alot too.

I also like the costa's but don't own a pair but have wore a pair of my friends while fishing. The lens in the costa's are far better than oakley's IMO.

The only reason I have bought so many oakley's and not costa's is due to the fact of getting such a huge discount from being in the military. If you are in the military or law enforcement and do not know about usstandardissue.com you need to check them out.

I'm kind of an Oakley fanboy, always had them, and always tended to prefer them over Raybans or others.

Presently I have two pairs that I cycle through depending on what I'm doing.

I have a pair of Juliet X Metal's with Ruby lenses that I use for shooting/wearing around town, they are light but sturdy (titanium frames) and hold up very nicely.

Then for running or general w/e work I use my Flak Jacket XLJ's

Works out pretty well and I wouldnt change them for the world

Edge Blade Runner Polarized for everyday use/recreation. We shooting or working I use a pair of their regular smoked lens models as the anti-fog coating is the best in the business. For $70 you simply cannot beat the price of the polarized versions of all Edge models... Have had more than one person they like them better than their issued Oakleys which was great to hear!

Mike

Not a huge fan of Oakley any more. Their warranty sucks. I like my spy's. The smiths have some kick ass lenses in them, also a lifetime warranty. I had a pair of electrics that I liked a lot, lost em drunk in a river lol. The new wire frame dragons I have I like a lot too, made in Italy to boot!

i am far to frugal to purchase most of sun glasses that have been listed.
what is a good compromise between cost and functionality? maybe limit to 50 or so dollars? i would assume some manufacturers can offer very similar lens coating and lens materials that the more prominent companies use but without paying for a name; am i incorrect?

Can't help ya there. I buy a pair of Oakleys every 3 months... I'm hard on them.

I have a pair of Smith Touchstone sunglasses with polar chromic lenses. They change darkness with changing light and have the best lenses of any glasses I've had. The downside is they're HEAVY. I believe the lenses are glass thus the added weight. On the plus side i've been unable to scratch them.

http://www.smithoptics.com/products/#/Sunglasses/Mens/Touchstone/view/

I've been lucky enough to try Oakley, Ray-Bans and Maui Jims ...

For me, Maui Jims are hands down the best pair of sunglasses money can buy - the clarity that you get from them is absolutely amazing - and the UV filter definitely works - after wearing them for a couple of weeks in New Orleans, I checked some photos I had taken whilst there and found that there was a visible mark around my eyes where the skin tone was different where I had been wearing the glasses (not visible when looking normally).

For me personally I found the Oakleys slightly foggy even after I had cleaned the lens and I found the same on a friend's pair of Oakleys as well, and as for Ray-Bans - for some reason they've never fit me particularly well - as soon as I start running down the road they tend to fall off - even after adjusting the nose and ear bits.

Oakley juliets work for me since you can get RX lenses from them directly. And they were free.

Oakley M-Frames for me. They're all I've ever worn and I like the style. I just can't get away from them.

Does anyone know if the ESS CDIs are anti-fog? The specs on their site say nothing about it...just wondering if anyone has fogging issues with them.

I have not used the CDI, but the only time I had any fogging with the Crossbow was when I was wearing headgear that closed off the top. (shooting prone with a ball cap on). It cleared up as soon as I stood up. Everyone else was having fogging issues as well.

I would expect the Cdi uses the same coatings.

I am a busy charter fishing guide, and I have been through a fair amount of shades. I specialize in flats fishing, so I need great clarity and polarization.

I will start by saying I wear Costas most everyday with the 580 lenses.

That said, Costa customer service sucks. Period. They have lied to me and charged me for repairs that should have been covered. Most of the crap you have heard on the net about how terrible it is is absolutely true.

Maui Jim has the best color lenses and the clarity is second to none. They also make the lightest shades on the market which is great if you wear shades 14 hours a day. The customer service is second to none as they will usually just replace your glasses within a few days with a new pair, no questions asked.

The only reason I don't wear them currently is they don't offer many styles with glass lenses, and I scratch the poly ones in a matter of hours of putting them on. So I would say if you can take care of your glasses MJ is the way, but if your a clumsy bastard like myself, probably should stick to heavier glass lenses.

+1 for the Gators. they get hot as shit when i leave em in my truck though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: logic factory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am far to frugal to purchase most of sun glasses that have been listed.
what is a good compromise between cost and functionality? maybe limit to 50 or so dollars? i would assume some manufacturers can offer very similar lens coating and lens materials that the more prominent companies use but without paying for a name; am i incorrect? </div></div>

Ask and you shall receive... polarized versions will add a little $ to the total, but if you're not using them for fishing the standard smoked lens are awesome and have a great anti-fog coating that is the best in the business... You can hold these over a steaming tea kettle and they won't fog up (non-polarized versions, apparently the polarizing process interferes with their anti-fog process).

http://www.hellscanyonarmory.com/index.php/tactical-eyewear.html

Mike

I've had a pair of Oakley Flak Jackets for about 3 years now and I love them. The lenses were made to my prescription. Tough, comfortable and don't slip off my head, I love em. I've a got a pair of Oakley Mortars for my regular glasses, (clear lenses with my Rx) They work awesome as well. Grip my head and fit great. (I've got a big noggin).

ESS

If you need a 40% off discount code drop me a PM
smile.gif

One problem I have with the flak jackets that I have own are the rubber socks on the ear pieces. Eventually the rubber starts to wear and it gets sticky. I am pretty hard on them but other than that I love them. I have gotten the replacement socks but those wore at faster it seemed like and washing them dosen't help for very long.

Im a tightwad. Still using the Wiley X glasses that I was issued almost 8 years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sprayed99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't help ya there. I buy a pair of Oakleys every 3 months... I'm hard on them. </div></div>
+1, I go through them quick as well. My sweat ruins the lens.?.?.?

was using Oakly but swithcged to Rudy Project in the past years both are very good

I usually stroll around in my "Blue Blockers".
Actually, I wear either Ray-Bans or Maui Jim's-polorized in both cases.

I have the Revo H20, Oakley Flak and half jackets with XLJ lenses, Maui Jims and Serengeti drivers. Had Costa's before but lost them and have not replaced. Out of all of them, I think the Serengeti's have the best lenses. That being said, my next pair will be the Oakley Race Jackets. They feel like they fit better than the others.

USSI prescription polarized Fives Squared.

Looking at the new Split Jacket which will allow me to swap out polarized and clear prescription lenses.

New prescription in seven year old Rudy Project frames.

Kind of like gol1, but now without he Hapi coat necessary for field work.
wink.gif

GATORZ... for the past 16+ years. Everyday, all day, in Southern Nevada and California sun.

REVO, Bucci and Serengeti before that... and Oakley back in the 80's when good spec were limited to very few.

Rudy Project Magster

Before that it was Wiley X that last way past the amount of time that they should have with the abuse they saw.

Ray Bans for driving. Maui Jim Banyans when I'm on the water or doing anything else.

Smith Optics Director Tactical.. have replaced my trusted Oakleys. I have pretty sensitive eyes and have to use something decent. Smith's prices are good and easy on the eyes.