• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors SUPCOV / Griptastic Can Covers???

PLeighton

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2007
NE North Carolina
www.l8ntactical.com
Has anyone used these or have any comments as to their effectiveness?
cover.jpg
1.5.jpg

Looks like they are manufactured out of extruded high temp silicone by a company named "Bowers Group LLC".
http://www.subguns.org/
US Tactical Supply is their exclusive distributor according to the Bowers web site.
http://ustacticalsupply.com/m110sasssuppressorcover145coyotebrown.aspx

I came across this and made me ask myself whether this would be a good solution to a 5.56 NATO suppressor and / or a precision rifle platform.
(Their web site implies that they are appropriate for full auto applications.)
How does this product compare to the TAB covers?

Re: SUPCOV / Griptastic Can Covers???

It sounds good in theory.. I may give one a try. I will do a little more research and post my opinion once I send a few downrange.

Perfect timing on this thread, I was just looking to pick one up.

Looks like they run around $35, but I would be worried about melting. But I suppose no more than using fabric.

My concern is how much heat it holds in.
I understand that the "ribbed" design allows for cooling,
but the cover also cannot be removed unless you wet it.

Does the design cool better than a naked can would?
If not, I would think that a TAB Gear cover would be nicer since it can be pulled back between shooting strings.

Also, what are the differences in weight?
A few ounces on the end of your barrel makes a huge difference.

Ok, so a little research and the melting point of this type of silicone is 932F.
Full Auto 5.56 NATO fire is reported to generate temperatures above 800F according to AAC's site.
I guess that means you aren't likely to melt the cover, but the question of heat retention still remains.

At what point do you risk damaging a "Full Auto Rated" suppressor?
Any insight would be much appreciated.

The silicone covers will hold some heat in the can. Silicone is a good insulator, the ribs on the inside of the cover do not provide for much cooling. Most can covers provide insulation so you can hold on to the suppressor. One of my covers fits a MAC10/45 suppressor it's hard to get it on and off the suppressor, I don't think you would ever be able to damage this suppressor cover with full auto fire. In the case of the AAC M4-1000 if you shot enough mags or belts on full auto the can and barrel will get red hot with or without a suppressor cover. Most likely a suppressor cover is not going to be a good idea on a centerfire rifle suppressor that will see a lot of sustained mag or belt dumps. The Bowers silicone covers work well for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, so a little research and the melting point of this type of silicone is 932F.
Full Auto 5.56 NATO fire is reported to generate temperatures above 800F according to AAC's site.
I guess that means you aren't likely to melt the cover, but the question of heat retention still remains.

At what point do you risk damaging a "Full Auto Rated" suppressor?
Any insight would be much appreciated.
</div></div>

I know this is an old post but I've revisited thoughts of covers as a means of mitigating Infra-red heat signature for a few rounds at a time. A military purchasing agent mentioned a particular problem a unit was having with IR signature.

As far as heating- Depending on the suppressor, 60-90 rounds should reach about 900F, so that is the useful envelope for these covers. In real world use, 60-90 rounds is PLENTY, though I'm sure the IR suppression offered is probably only useful for ~30 rounds or less- of course anything is better than near immediate signature.

Apparently these covers are made by Bowers. I tracked them back to Facebook and the website links didn't work for me, perhaps on account of my location.
<span style="font-weight: bold">It would be nice to find more information like diameters supported, some data pertaining to what they accomplish, and specs for how heavy they are. </span>

Toms covers, can be seen/had Here.

I have them on every can, bolts and F/A. Have tired most every brand but, prefer Bowers the best.

I know several people that use the Bowers as their choice for suppressor covers. Never had one blow off or melt.

I know US Tactical Supply did some heat testing with these about six months ago.
They took a blowtorch and high temp thermometer to the suppressor cover and went up to 2000 degrees. The material did not melt.

Have any of you that own these covers seen the need to remove it between strings of fire to cool the can? How well does it disapate heat and do you get mirage from where the ribs vent the air through? I shoot in dramatic ranges of weather/temperature and wonder how well these perform. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnypunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have any of you that own these covers seen the need to remove it between strings of fire to cool the can?</div></div> No

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnypunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How well does it disapate heat and do you get mirage from where the ribs vent the air through?</div></div>
You will still get some mirage and it will be worst than a cover that covers all but the front. Like caliber choices, can covers are a trade off.
I prefer these for F/A as even after a Beta mag or belt run, you can still grab/touch it and not get burnt.

Scope settings, have more to do with close mirage than barrel or can covers.

They were formerly saying the material was good to 935F. So the 2000F is interesting.

It sounds like a product that could really use some specifications and a page that I could see. Maybe it's my location as I'm out of the country, but that link doesn't work for me.

Weight per inch or weight per unit, diameters supported, and an actual temperature specification would be good info to see a manufacturer put down. I think that would help people understand the product, what it can do, what it can't do.

I've run mine pretty hot on a SCAR 17 with a Surefire FA762SS. 5-6 mags of aimed fire from prone with minimal mirage. I also run this can on a full auto FAL with no signs of melting. Tom will stand behind his stuff even if you do something dumb and he's a great guy to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMGDAVE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've run mine pretty hot on a SCAR 17 with a Surefire FA762SS. 5-6 mags of aimed fire from prone with minimal mirage. I also run this can on a full auto FAL with no signs of melting. Tom will stand behind his stuff even if you do something dumb and he's a great guy to deal with. </div></div>

That suggests the melting point is extremely high.

What do they weigh? Weight per unit of length?

What diameters are supported? I know I've seen them on M110 suppressors which are 1.375" OD, and they say they work for 1.5" OD, so maybe they stretch to fit larger cans as well?

I'm not cetrain of the weight, but they are light. Maybe between 3 and 8 ounces as a pretty broad guess. It's really not noticable. They are ribbed both inside and out so that's where the mirage will come from. As far as sizes go, they are made in a wide variety of common sizes and some oddballs like the 1.375 OD. and in most common lengths, but they are easily cut to size with a razor blade.
Like i said above, I get this cover pretty hot; not to the point of being abusive to my equipment, but hot enough to be confident that I'll probably never make the cover melt.
Dave

GriptasticTM Suppressor Covers

1x5 (1”X5”)
1x6 (1”X6”)
1.375X8CB
1.375X14.5CB
1.5X6.5
1.5X6.5CB
1.5X7
1.5X7CB
1.5X8
1.5X8.5
1.5X9.5
1.5X9.5CB
1.5X12
1.5X12CB
1.625X8.5
1.625X10
1.75X7
1.75X9.25
1.75LX9.25CB
1.75X10.5
2X12CB

Edited and taken from Tom's web page. DP

GriptasticTM High-Temp Silicone Suppressor Covers (Patented)
Our suppressor covers are custom extruded from high-temperature silicone. Black with some coyote brown choices, all are made with pride in the USA.
Suppressors, particularly in center fire rifle applications or anything being subjected to fully automatic fire, will get dangerously hot fast. More than one of us has left skin on a hot suppressor and has the scars to show for it. Precision shooters will experience rapid onset of severe mirage. Suppressor heat glows brightly in IR viewers. Hot suppressors can’t be removed, even with expensive “quick detach” mounts. Bag-type
Nomex covers will keep you and your gear from being burned, but they will also slip and they hold in the heat even longer than if you had no cover. Our covers provide simple and professional solutions to all of these problems.
They have been carefully engineered to provide everything you need in a suppressor cover; they're non-slip, low profile, a highly effective insulator, provide IR reduction, encourage cooling through convection by allowing
airflow under the cover and are soft and "grippy" to the touch. You can dump a mag through a can on your M16 and unscrew it instead of waiting ten minutes. You won’t have to pinch the can through the cover on your MAC to keep it from unscrewing, because these covers won’t slip.
We have covers for all of the most common suppressor sizes. Protect yourself, your suppressors and the rest of your gear with these covers. If the exact length you’d like isn’t listed, buy the longer version and you can easily trim it to length with a razor blade.
Selection: Model designations indicate the suppressor diameter in inches “X” the suppressor length in inches. Thus, Model 1X5 is for suppressors one inch in diameter and the cover is five inches long.

We do not sell or publicize your information. If you have questions, please call. It is not an inconvenience, it’s part of the service we offer. You may also email us at [email protected] but please limit those to simple questions not requiring detailed replies. Please include a phone number when possible.
Payment must be made at the time of order. We ship via US Mail. We prefer checks to help keep our prices down, but accept Mastercard, Visa and Discover over the phone at no extra charge.
Thank you for your support, we appreciate your business!
Please visit us on Facebook and "like" our page. http://www.facebook.com/bowersgroup Office: (503) 992-8697 24