• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Super Budget Remington 700?

Clamber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Utah, USA
I have been dying to get into precision shooting for the last 2 years and I had a $2000 budget, but my insurance company decided to pull a quick one and charge my $1000 for something.

So now I have $1000 for a complete rifle. I know I know, $1000 is nothing compared to some of your guys' setups, but Im just wondering, if I get a 700 SPS tactical for $570, and I could then get the cheapest SWFA SS scope for $300. Would that be a decent beginner setup until I could afford more quality products? But then it would all be riding on the base and rings.

For $100, what rings and base would you recommend?

At this point after having letdown after letdown when trying to get a rifle, i just want something that shoots. I dont care if its 5moa or 1moa. I just want to pull a trigger and send some metal downrange.

Ill greatly appreciate any replies/comments.
Thanks,
Coby

Re: Super Budget Remington 700?

i would look at something used... i just purchased a new 700 sps .308 and put a NF one peice base on it which is the base/ring combo and now im trying to save for a scope. go used so you can go shoot immediatly so you arnt sitting around like me. thank god i have a ar i finished building a few months ago to go play with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rware91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would look at something used... i just purchased a new 700 sps .308 and put a NF one peice base on it which is the base/ring combo and now im trying to save for a scope. go used so you can go shoot immediatly so you arnt sitting around like me. thank god i have a ar i finished building a few months ago to go play with.</div></div>

Yeah, Ill take a look on some local classifieds and online for a used one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You set on the remmy? </div></div>

No necessarily, but It seems like its the standard for bolt action. Im open to other options though.

Dicks has a complete package for I think $589. Remington .308 sps varmint with 3-12 scope. Yes the stock sucks. No big deal. Stockeys has Bell and Carlson stocks for around $210.00 with the aluminum bedding blocks. Yes its a cheap scope and rings. But it will get you started. So for around $799.00 you'll be off and running. Most if not all of those sps varmints will hold under MOA or better.

your in about the same boat as i was a vouple years ago.

i started with a remington 700 sps varmint. put a SS 20x on it (its a range toy for shooting paper so i prefered the higher mag.) i put weaver tactical rings and bases or it and ran it like that for a while. with factory ammo it would shoot moa maybe a little worse. with handloads that shrunk down even more.

I choose to go 308 due to ease of everything. I would look for eithere a model with a HS stock(not sure if the tactical does) or a used stock to replace the plastic POS that comes with the varmint guns.

just be aware that you will spend stupid money on this stuff. any budget you think you have will be the budget you used to have..

Go with a Heavy barrel Stainless Howa. The money you save on the gun will buy a better scope and ammo. Not to knock the 700 but I think the Howa is a better factory gun.

Sounds like a .22LR Bolt rifle might be a good start for ya. What distances do you have to shoot at? Can you afford to feed the rifle expensive centerfire ammo? Not trying to disappoint, but you will most likely surpass the $1k budget with the rifle and support gear. Do you have a bipod or some form of front/rear rests? Quality cleaning kit? The list seems short, but when you really thing of all the crap you need/should have it adds up real quick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okiecop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with a Heavy barrel Stainless Howa. The money you save on the gun will buy a better scope and ammo. Not to knock the 700 but I think the Howa is a better factory gun.</div></div> Ill look into those, thanks. Which model Howa?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a .22LR Bolt rifle might be a good start for ya. What distances do you have to shoot at? Can you afford to feed the rifle expensive centerfire ammo? Not trying to disappoint, but you will most likely surpass the $1k budget with the rifle and support gear. Do you have a bipod or some form of front/rear rests? Quality cleaning kit? The list seems short, but when you really thing of all the crap you need/should have it adds up real quick. </div></div>

I have a .22 and Im just wanting something bigger and longer distances. I just have the $1000 for the budget of the gun itself.

700308.jpg

I dont' have too much more than $1000 in this thing. I got the base rifle for $475 new on GunBroker. Stock was $225. Cut off and recrown barrel, glass bed, add tactical bolt knob, and add Karsten cheekpiece about $300. I know that doesn't include glass, but you can do the mods as you have the coin if you start with the basic SPS Varmint and use the rest of the $1000 for glass to start.

This thing shoots very, very well with the factory barrel. These are 200 yard targets.

Fast Ed

Target-1.jpg
Target-2.jpg

If you don't have much cash, I love my 223. Cheap ammo. Get one, get a good scope, mine has a SS 10x right now. Find a base that someone wants to get rid of (thinking zero, but it is alright for now) and a set of rings that work.
Will be alright for now, everything on the cheap and it is a very good shooter for everything 600 and down.
Have fun.
Chad

isnt the .223 rifle the same price as the .308 one though?

If your heart isn't set on a Rem., check out a couple of Savage rifles. They are affordable, have great triggers, decent barrels, and the money saved can go toward better glass and ammo. Good Luck, let us know what you decide on!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cascade_Sherpa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your heart isn't set on a Rem., check out a couple of Savage rifles. They are affordable, have great triggers, decent barrels, and the money saved can go toward better glass and ammo. Good Luck, let us know what you decide on! </div></div>

Thanks. So I take it people use them for precision shooting and not just hunting?

Would you guys recommend www.snipercentral.com's Howa Entry Tactical Package? Its right in my price range.

hey clamber i took my sps tac. .308 to the range last weekend and it shoots under half inch at 100 with 3 shot groups. it has a 16x42 ss on it with badger rings and 30moa base. great setup for the cost. next will be the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dicks has a complete package for I think $589. Remington .308 sps varmint with 3-12 scope. Yes the stock sucks. No big deal. Stockeys has Bell and Carlson stocks for around $210.00 with the aluminum bedding blocks. Yes its a cheap scope and rings. But it will get you started. So for around $799.00 you'll be off and running. Most if not all of those sps varmints will hold under MOA or better. </div></div>

Wow, thats good price. I just picked up my 700 .308 varmint HB with no scope for $569. Also found out, Academy has 700's right now for $360!!!!!! Yep, a remington 700 for ONLY $360!!! You can get it in .308, .30-06, and a couple mroe calibers for that price. Granted does not have the HB for that price, but still, that is a SMOKING deal, considering what alot of guys pay for JUST the 700 action, ya know?

I would like to know, what did they charge you (OP)a $1000 for, is this home or auto? Seems like BS either way personally.

Clamber,
Keep in mind that the Howa does not offer nearly as many options for mod parts down the road.

Dick's also has heavy barrel 700 ADLs in camo for $449. That includes scope, base and rings, although I assume those need to be swapped as well as the stock. But it gets you in there and shooting, new, with varmint barrel, for under $500 out the door.

Get a Howa heavy barreled action in the flavor you want less than $400, coupled that with a B&C medalist stock from Stocky's around $210, buy EGW base, and some rings, and add a good enough cheaper scope and you should be right around $1000. The snipercentral package looks pretty good, but you have less money toward glass if you go with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okiecop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with a Heavy barrel Stainless Howa. The money you save on the gun will buy a better scope and ammo. Not to knock the 700 but I think the Howa is a better factory gun.</div></div> Ill look into those, thanks. Which model Howa?</div></div>

I've owned several Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguards rifles as well as Remington 700's including a custom built rifle based on the 700 and an out-of-the-box police version Remington 700 LTR.

If I had your budget, I'd go with the Howa option.

Personally, I'd buy a heavy barreled Howa, buy a EGW 20 MOA rail from Legacy Sports, put a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A2 stock on it from Stockystocks.com, and an entry level scope with Burris Tactical rings.

For a scope I would pick either a 10x42 Super Sniper ($299) with 30mm Burris Xtreme Tactical Rings or a 10x40 Bushnell Elite 3200 scope ($199) with Burris Extreme Tactical 1" Rings.

Boom! You're done! Go buy yourself some ammo and hit the range!

- OR -

I'd check out this deal online. Personally, I don't know the guy, but it seems like a pretty good bargain for a complete package <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">including ammo</span></span>.

I will gladly answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.

Good shooting!

Oh wow, that's awesome you can get the Howa Heavy Barreled Action. Now I just need to find where to buy one

So about;

$400 for the Howa barreled action
$70 for the EGW base
$220 for B&C A2 stock
$300 for SS scope
$55 for Burris rings
$70 for Harris bipod

That puts me around $1100 without fees and stuff, but damn, thats exactly what Im looking for!

Thanks so much guys!

One question, what is required to mount a bipod on the B&C stocks?

I did, I bookmarked it, but I wont have the complete funds for about 2 weeks so Im trying to not get my hopes up on any used rifles.

I think if I sell my 10/22 I may be able to afford the Sniper Central 700.

Do you know if theres anywhere where I could just get the 700 .308 barreled action?

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
SoCalPete, Great Minds think alike!
wink.gif

</div></div>

I was gonna say that after seeing your post right after mine!
laugh.gif

This setup that we both suggested has been a proven setup that has been rehashed on SH several times, so not surprised it is suggested once more.
smile.gif
Although by looking at the OP's price list, I would think the EGW base be around $40 or so, wondering why it came out higher unless the OP chose the Heavy Duty one which is really not needed. Also, not sure if the flat forend bipod adapter is really required. A friend of mine runs swivel bipod on an AICS chases with flat forend and it is fine. Just a suggestion to save even more on cost.

To the OP, the barreled Howa action can be found in abundance on gunbroker.com. Cheaper than ordering direct from Legacy Sports. Other than gunbroker, maybe your local shop can order one for you with dealer discount. Turner's Outdoorsman is partly owned by the owners of Legacy Sports now (separate entity) so I would think they would get some deals, but they are not in Utah as far as I know.

Good luck with the build! Remember to post pics and range result when you get it done.

If you are looking for a ready to go package, that Snipercentral Howa package is hard to beat. You would have a complete rifle in a decent stock with bipod and glass sighted in and ready to go.

Send them an email and see how much it would be to upgrade to the super sniper 10x scope. I bet you could get out the door with a nice package for a little over 1100 bucks.

So I think Im going to get the Sniper Central Howa package most likely. Maybe the Rem 700 package if I get more funds.

The Howas sounds like a solid rifle and that package is $1000 so that's right in my price range.

I might not have money for ammo for a month though so Ill have to stare at the rifle for a month!