• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Super Hot and fast .223 Bolt load with 80gr VLD Bergers

Kubitza123

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2012
Central Texas near Waco
From everything I've found most are pushing 80gr 223 bullets around 2850fps.

This load I would work up to and ONLY run in a BOLT!

Lapua Brass

26.5 gr Varget

80gr Berger VLD

24" Kreiger Barrel

Stiller action

3030 Fps

And 1st target was 2 Zero shots , then other 4 rds almost in same hole with one flyer.

2nd target I let my brother shoot and top right hole is 3rds in the same hole . 1st time either of us have shit this brand new barreled action so the load is accurate as well.

what is the Cartridge Over All Length that you use with this load? Is it AR-15 magazine length (2.26")? Or is it longer?

That charge weight of Varget is WELL into 223AI territory...as are the speeds.

For comparison's sake, my 22" 223AI with 26.4gr Varget and an 80gr A-Max pushes 69k PSI according to Quickload.

Be careful...

Well into proof load territory here. Remind me to stay several benches away. Preferably with a wall between.

I have backed up some in this load to 26gr of varget , since with .5 grain less still pushes them over 2900fps and is plenty safe and shoots ragged holes. With 26.5 started seeing bottom of case swell 2 thousandths .

With 26gr I've fired over 130rds and they have done great .

Stumbled on this thread looking for a place to start with these. You 26.5 guys still seeing out of both eyes? That's just nuts at close to 82K psi in Quickload trued to match Varget performance in my .308. I'm thinking that BLC-2 might be a good option for a mass-produced round for my trainer.

In Winter, I ran a bolt-gun load of 26gr Varget behind a 77SMK at 2.300" OAL. At the time it was 'fine.' Ran about 3000fps from a 24" bbl. Then in Spring, I shot at some Pdogs and blanked a couple CCI 450 primers and torched the oversized factory firing pin tip. Learned my lesson.

BLC-2 worked very well for me with with 69SMKs, it wouldn't group well with 77SMKs or Nolser 77gr CCs for whatever reason. I switched to Varget and it groups pretty decently now.

Reactions: Earnhardt
That would never fly in my chamber. Going from 24.9 to 25.1gr of varget behind 75 eld at 2.541 oal went from no pressure signs to pierced primers almost falling out of win brass.

I’m shooting 80eldms at 3030 with 25 grains of H4895 and a coal of 2.520. Lapua brass and 205m primers. Seeing some primer cratering but not even a hint of primer flattening.

Shot it yesterday in 80 degree humid weather and didn’t see any new pressure signs.

I have had good luck with H4895 and heavies in the 223 as well.
The Varget loads posted by the op are well above where my rifles show definite pressure.