• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Super Sniper 3-9x

eleaf

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dear SWFA:

I just want to let you guys know that this scope rocks! Very good stuff.

I bought one for my new-to-me 20 Tac and I really, really like it. The glass is super clear, the knobs are very good and I like everything about it so far.

A suggestion:

Make a higher magnification variable! I'd really dig one of these on my varmint rifle for p dogs and g hogs, and 9x is a bit small for those little boogers at distance! With the quality of the 3-9x, I'd be first in line to buy a higher mag variable.

Re: Super Sniper 3-9x

Thank you eleaf for your compliments and suggestions.

The higher power version has been in the works for a while, the little 3-9x42 leap frogged it due to the possibilities for large Army DM orders.

I'd like to see one with MOA turrets.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see one with MOA turrets.
smile.gif
</div></div>LOL!

Ah there is nothing to learn! It's just to easy, think that's why folks have trouble with the concept.

I've never used one. I believe all the shops here have MOA scopes.
frown.gif
Its just what I'm use to.

I love my 20x SS. Glass was exceptional. I will prolly be picking up another SS in a few weeks. SWFA's customer service is great too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never used one. I believe all the shops here have MOA scopes.
frown.gif
Its just what I'm use to. </div></div>

Jake,

Here are some questions for you:

Please name all the MOA scopes, in your area, or that you use, or that you know about.

Before you reply, be careful, because I posed a "trick", question.

Thanks for playing,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Make a higher magnification variable! I'd really dig one of these on my varmint rifle for p dogs and g hogs, and 9x is a bit small for those little boogers at distance! With the quality of the 3-9x, I'd be first in line to buy a higher mag variable. </div></div>

and a enhanced mildot reticle with half mil tics that would make it perfect
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see one with MOA turrets.
smile.gif
</div></div>

WHY?????????

Bobin,

I've really only used bushnell.

I live a hour and half from a large town and here is whats offered in the area:

leopold, bsa, bushnell, tasco, & ncstar.

I've only seen them with MOA turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bobin,

I've really only used bushnell.

I live a hour and half from a large town and here is whats offered in the area:

leopold, bsa, bushnell, tasco, & ncstar.

I've only seen them with MOA turrets. </div></div>

MOA turrets on a Mil reticle make no sense at all....you have to convert, Mil/Mil where the miss impacts....read the dope in the reticle and crank the knob.....look at Mildot Master's website for a good breakdown of the standard mildot reticle...you can even print it for the stock pack.

Here you are.... Mildot master reticle breakdown

I understand the mil dot reticle but I don't understand the mil turrets. I can range with the reticle but I've never used mil turrets.

smile.gif
</div></div>

That would be taking a step back. Mil/Mil optics are a step forward. Embrace the change!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand the mil dot reticle but I don't understand the mil turrets. I can range with the reticle but I've never used mil turrets. </div></div>

Using Mil turrets you simply dial exactly what you read in the reticle. No need to convert anything. When using a mil reticle with MOA turrets you need to convert what you read in the reticle to MOA and then dial.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand the mil dot reticle but I don't understand the mil turrets. I can range with the reticle but I've never used mil turrets. </div></div>

Using Mil turrets you simply dial exactly what you read in the reticle. No need to convert anything. When using a mil reticle with MOA turrets you need to convert what you read in the reticle to MOA and then dial. </div></div>

does this rule change at different distances?

Ps. Sorry for stealing the thread

I have been really happy with mine as well, looking forward to seeing something with a higher variable magnification as well.

On a side note, customer service is excellent as well. I got my package from them and it included everything EXCEPT the scope. I called them up and it was overnighted to me and I had it the next morning. Stuff with orders happens sometimes, but they were on it with no questions asked!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand the mil dot reticle but I don't understand the mil turrets. I can range with the reticle but I've never used mil turrets. </div></div>

Using Mil turrets you simply dial exactly what you read in the reticle. No need to convert anything. When using a mil reticle with MOA turrets you need to convert what you read in the reticle to MOA and then dial. </div></div>

Ps. Sorry for stealing the thread </div></div>

Nope, that is why it is so easy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand the mil dot reticle but I don't understand the mil turrets. I can range with the reticle but I've never used mil turrets. </div></div>

When your form is good, you can see your hits on steel or paper or dirt. You use the reticle to gauge your hit. Then dial the correction. Say you miss 2 mils left and 1 mil high, dial 2 mils left and 1 mil up and your dead nuts. No math no conversion.

No, it never changes. If you know how to read your reticle you are set at ANY distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've learned in MOA and I'm too lazy to switch my scopes to mil.</div></div>

That was what I thought but I bought the 3-9 SS and figured I would learn it. It was intuative as can be. There is no learning curve. You adjust to what you see. I'm sticking to mil/mil for future buys, because mil is standardized and MOA adjustments change for manufacture to manufacture. Try it, you'll like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roadwild17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a 4-16 or so in the sub $750 price range would RULE (with a SF
smirk.gif
) </div></div>

Wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roadwild17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a 4-16 or so in the sub $750 price range would RULE (with a SF
smirk.gif
) </div></div>

Wink.gif
</div></div>

Hell, I run out and buy a 4-16 with SS quality.

Get that 4-16 out by fall so I can use it for hunting season. I've been holding off buying the new Viper until it can be compared to a higher power SS.

Hurry up damn it;)

I've been entertaining the idea of purchasing a higher mag variable in the $1000 range for a while now, but I just can't let myself jump the gun because I know I'll regret it when the higher mag SS arrives....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand the mil dot reticle but I don't understand the mil turrets. I can range with the reticle but I've never used mil turrets. </div></div>

I'm not particularly sold on mil/mil vs. moa/moa with the reticles available like the NP-R1 and NP-R2.

Matching mil reticle to a mil turret set or moa reticle to moa turrets is a no brainer to me, but if you want to shoot minutes vs. mils, beyond that I don't see the fuss.

I completely understand the concept on both ends, it's the same thing. I would suggest if you already have a few moa/moa scopes you stick to either minutes or go all out and get all mils to keep things consistent.

My order of importance would be

1) ranging reticle
2) match the knobs to the reticle

neither of those have moa or mils noted in there anywhere

I think what he was saying is that he has Mil reticle/MOA turrets.

I agree that your turrets should match the reticle regardless of the system you use.

SWFA, any time table for when the higher variable mag will be available? Might we see it before next fall?

I can't aswer that because I don't know, but my best guess would be this fall.

The 3-9x is mil/mil.

I do have some constructive criticism, however. I went to the range with my trusty new SS 3-9x sitting on top of my very nice Cooper in 20 Tac and found 2 issues which made it a bit tough when trying to sight in.

I had the reticle dialed in to 9x for sighting in (I wish it were more. This gun is mounted on a 20 caliber and seeing those tiny holes was tough!).

First the good things:

The glass is incredibly clear most of the time (more on that later).
The knobs are extremely good, providing very nice clicks. The tension is very good. Tighter than loose, looser than tight.
Everything seems to track as it should. I had no problems dialing it in with the reticle.
The eye relief, IMO, very generous.
Field of view seems very good.

The nit-picks:

I wouldn't want to use this as a rimfire scope. I've thought about buying another for my 17 HMR, but the image just isn't clear enough when shooting at 50 yards (what I used to get the gun "on paper"), and I would bet that it doesn't get any better as one moves in closer. When using it at 100 it was fantasticly clear, just not when used up close. The reticle is too thin for shooting at dark objects up close. At 100 yards, the reticle was adequately thick and clear for shooting at black targets (shoot-n-see). When shooting at 50 yards, I could barely see it at all. It simply got lost in the target.

Overall I am very pleased. I will likely buy another 3-9x in the future. I will definitely buy a higher magnification variable when it comes out. If you add a side focus and 1/2 mil marks (with a slightly thicker reticle), this will be <span style="font-style: italic">the</span> scope to buy.

Looking for a scope to match to a 6.8 spc upper for dear season. What do you think the 3x9 SS a good match?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for a scope to match to a 6.8 spc upper for dear season. What do you think the 3x9 SS a good match? </div></div>

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for a hunting scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">another +1 for a side focus option. </div></div>

Keep in mind that the 3-9x42 was purpose built for DM use. Under 10x to maximize its effectiveness when used with a PVS-22 type clip on NVD. 3x erector, no parallax or illumination to keep the price down and make it more soldier proof. Locking ocular to keep the reticle focus from being used as an image focus. Mil/Mil and FFP so no time has to be wasted worrying about what power the scope is on and no time wasted doing conversions from mils to moa. A lot of development time was spent in the area of eye relief and field of view to make the scope very fast and easy to use. One of the key rolls of a DM is laying down cover fire and the SS3-9x42 set right under 4x performs at its best for that task.

With that being said we recognize the need for a similar scope with parallax and illumination and it is in the works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for a scope to match to a 6.8 spc upper for deer season. What do you think the 3x9 SS a good match? </div></div>

The SS3-9x42 is a somewhat compact and lightweight scope compared to others in its class making it feel right at home on a hunting rifle.

The turrets are somewhat low profile too compared to a M1 type turret which make it less cumbersome in a hunting environment.

The reticle is not too heavy or too light and the post come in really far on the lower powers making it very quick.

The glass and coatings are way above average which make it an excellent choice for deer hunting which is primarily done in low light.

The eye relief is very forgiving and the field of view is really generous which are key factors in a good hunting scope. This scope is very easy to look through.

I think over all it makes an excellent deer hunting scope.

Any chance to have the 3x9 Super Sniper Package back?

Sure, once all the componets are back in stock....which should be in less than two months.

I am not sure which components are not in stock, but my main interest would be on the following itens:

SWFA SS 3-9x42
2.25" SS Sun Shade
Set of butler creek flip ups
Mil Dot Master
SS Ball cap
SS Anti-Reflection Device

I dont need the rings. I would be happy with the itens above. Any chance to make a package like this right now?

No prob, we'll have to back order the cap but can ship everything else today.

Call me.

972-617-7056
Brady