• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Super Sniper 5-20X50 Misaligned????

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    So I bought 4 of the new SS in the group buy, one for me and a couple more for my brothers. So far they are still unused, except for some serious fingering. Only one of them has even been mounted, and the other three are awaiting host's. As my brother and I were looking over one of them the other night, he noticed a strange image when looking through the objective. Now I am no expert in optic construction, and am not familiar in how scopes are put together and aligned, but every scope I've looked through (backwards) appears to be a circle (far away image and the reticle) inside another circle (black) when looked through straight, the two circles are perfectly centered.
    Well, my brother noticed that no matter how he tried to center his eye in the scope, the inner image was not centered inside the "donut" of the scope, if that makes any sense to you guys. we both looked at it and I confirmed the same image. In order to get the exit picture/reticle centered in the scope you have to look at it at an angle
    crazy.gif
    , that doesn't seem right does it??
    To see if maybe it was just made that way, we pulled out my specimen, still in the box. It had a similar image but in stead of being low and right in the "donut", it was just straight down. So now we have at least two scopes with this phenomenon, and they aren't consistent
    confused.gif
    I made a <span style="font-weight: bold"> VERY </span> rudimentary sketch just to illustrate the image since i cant get a good picture of it.

SSsketch.jpg

Now, as I said I am no expert, so I dont even know if this is a problem. But I can only assume so since every other scope I've ever seen did not do this. For all I know the scope's will work fine, and until I see some kind of failure or inaccuracy, I wont worry too much as I'm confident SWFA will stand behind it. I hope that SWFA and/or someone with a little more knowledge about scopes could comment on this. BTW we haven't had a chance to inspect the other two SS's we purchased yet, but will update as soon as possible. I would also ask any others that purchased them to have a look and see if theirs has the same thing going on.

ETA: for the record, looking through the scopes normally, through the ocular lens they look perfect. No misalignment or anything else looks out of the ordinary.

Re: Super Sniper 5-20X50 Bent/Misaligned????

I just tried viewing from that direction on a Bushnell HDMR and couldn't duplicate your condition.

Sorry - I can only duplicate your "normal" condition - not the 1st and 2nd conditions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry - I can only duplicate your "normal" condition - not the 1st and 2nd conditions. </div></div>

Yes, that's the only one I suppose you should be able to duplicate. But you are looking through an HDMR right? different scope.

Jrose, yes, looking through the objective. It appears as if something is crooked inside because the image if off center.

Have you moved the knobs at all? Try centering the knobs and looking back through the scopes. I believe the inner-tube you are seeing is the erector and the reason it is off center is the adjustments are off center with out them being mounted or bore-sighted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you moved the knobs at all? Try centering the knobs and looking back through the scopes. I believe the inner-tube you are seeing is the erector and the reason it is off center is the adjustments are off center with out them being mounted or bore-sighted. </div></div>

Doesn't the erector just move the reticle within the view plain? it doesn't move lenses does it? because its the image that is off center, to my method of thinking, the only way for the image to be moved,misaligned or angled is if the lenses are not paralleled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you moved the knobs at all? Try centering the knobs and looking back through the scopes. I believe the inner-tube you are seeing is the erector and the reason it is off center is the adjustments are off center with out them being mounted or bore-sighted. </div></div>
    This.

edit: The erector doesn't just move the reticle, it's a tube with the lens system that erects the image und contains the moving lenses in a variable scope. This whole system will be tilted pretty substantially in a scope with large adjustment range, and you can actually get pretty close to centering the erector just by looking down the objective once you know what to look for. Center the reticle and your "problem" will most likely go away.

"problem" solved, you guys were right. as I turn up the elevation the image came center and then high. It all makes perfect sense now, the scope's must have just been not centered when they were shipped.
    Thanks BB2 and David, this is exactly why I love SH so much
    wink.gif

You learn new stuff every day.

you would think they would have been optically zeroed from the factory huh?? seems odd........

There's this thing called eye relief.

Have you even mounted it on a rifle yet? Its not a telescope, you cant just pick it up and look through it.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's this thing called eye relief.

Have you even mounted it on a rifle yet? Its not a telescope, you cant just pick it up and look through it.

Chris</div></div>

There's this thing called reading before posting.