• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Supermatch

ben1204

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2010
Stotts City, MO
I just purchased my first M1A. It is a supermatch. I was thinking of replacing the oversized stock with a synthetic. Also, is there anything wrong with an aluminum mount? I was looking at the new Millett M1A mount. I have a Spfld Gen 3 but not fond of it. I have a Leupold Mark 4 M3 to put on it. Was also looking at TPS rings. Any advise would be appreciated.

Re: Supermatch

Again, you wouldn't take your Ferrari to PepBoys for auto work. Get a better mount. You spend the money on a Super Match, she deserves the best. Get the McMillan M2 or M3 stock, re-bed and get a good mount.

The Supermatch M1A rifles are glass bedded. Unless you are moving to a stock/chassis like the JAE-100, you'll need to bed a new stock (incl. McMillans, etc.).

As for other stuff:

Mounts...if you want a Al mount, look at the Sadlak: http://www.sadlak.com/si_index.html

Rings...nothing wrong with the TPS whatsoever. If you go Aluminum on the base, I'd go Aluminum on the rings as well. Some will tell you it doesn't matter, but I for one have never really liked mixing steel/alum on mount/ring setups.

DITCH THE SA SCOPE!!! The Mk4 M3 will serve you much better. I had both a fixed 10x and a 3.5-10x40 mounted on my M1A for a while and loved it. I use the 3.5-10x on several semi-auto 308 rifles and it does an excellent job.

I have an ARMS mount on my supermatch. It has a USO 3-17 ERGO on top and has been many places and still holds zero fine. Whatever you choose make sure it is a good proven mount, if not you will be in for many headaches.

I pulled a NM out of a bedded stock and put it in a USGI synthetic. Didnt notice a big difference (with irons). You can always go back to the original bedded stock if the replacement does not work out.