• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Support side shooting

thelaststraw

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2020
SW Louisiana
Newb question on support side shooting. Is that offhand shooting, meaning that a right handed shooter would shoulder left and work bolt and trigger with left hand? Specifically referring to PRS skill stages but also as MDs may be referring to in a CoF description.
Basically wondering how much true offhand (or support side) shooting I should train/prepare for. In practical pistol it's mostly in classifiers in my region but I have no idea in this game.

Offhand means standing, unsupported.

Support side should be using the opposite shoulder, eye, hand for everything except bolt manipulation. At least in PRS matches I've been to. How much you should prepare, depends on the matches you are shooting.

Support side shooting- If you are a right hand/right eye shooter, you need to switch to Left hand/left eye on a stage. Not off hand, you will shoot off what ever prop that stage demands. There might be some off hand stages, but most I have encountered are like hit a full IPSC at 300 yards with 1 round then (HTM) move to the prop. Don't think you will have to shoot more than 1 or 2 on a pretty generous target offhand.

Ok, I appreciate it. Learning exactly what is defined in different sports is tricky. I searched a bit by Google but uncle Google sent me on a snipe hunt.
I figured the frequency of such positions is dependent on area and such.

Support side is a valuable tool in the toolbox. I found when practicing it, especially in a good position like prone, I can run the bolt way faster than standard side. Some side hill positions, or other obstacles were much easier support side also, and I have even remembered to try it a time or two 😆at a match.

I was suspecting that situations like that could come up. For instance, I was big into 9 ball (billiards) and learn to shoot left handed made a lot of sense and was a huge benefit to my overall game. I'll have to incorporate some of that in to practice.

In PRS, are skill stages weighed as heavy as classifiers are in USPSA? Reading through the rulebook is what really brought this question up when I got to the skill stage section.