• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Supporting the rifle by the barrel?

lte82

Shooter
Minuteman
  • Mar 12, 2013
    I always thought pushing or holding on a barrel would throw off the point of impact, but here's a picture of one of the top shooters in the country doing just that. Has anyone else tried this with good results?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      96.4 KB · Views: 188
    With that barrel contour, I don't see how he could effect it more that the barrel's own weight.

This technique is very common for barricades. What he is doing is stabilizing the rifle's movement. He's not placing a ton of pressure on it either. There are kit's available to similar things to MPA Chassis.

Reactions: BradyW
    This technique is very common for barricades. What he is doing is stabilizing the rifle's movement. He's not placing a ton of pressure on it either. There are kit's available to similar things to MPA Chassis.

I hold the front of the chassis as well on most barricades, but never touch the barrel.

Yeah I doubt that close to the action and like @The_Count said, with that contour, it probably doesn't make a huge difference - but it could. Harmonics change with anything touching and absorbing energy from the barrel means a different POI, and it also might not be repeatable.

General rule, don't ever touch the barrel with anything.

Not that this is an example, but do realize also that even "top" shooters make bad decisions occasionally and not everything they do is the new norm ;)

Reactions: Changed
    Couldn't help it, I ran out to the range and tried it myself. If there's POI shift I didn't see it, or it didn't make much difference at 300 yards. 2" group at 300 shooting off a bag in no wind, with and without pressing on the MTU contour barrel.

That’s Dan Jarecke and he won that match too. I’ve seen him do that every time I’ve shot with him.

Depending on the temps and round count I’m guessing there is not much pressure on the barrel.

Theoretically it would change the harmonics and the POI. that being said with that contour it is probably negligible if utilizing that stance you gain a better platform for a more precise shot. Shooter error is a lot bigger than smaller things like harmonics.

I don't see him supporting the rifle by the barrel. He has his left thumb over the barrel to steady the rifle. What I'm I missing here?

I don't see him supporting the rifle by the barrel. He has his left thumb over the barrel to steady the rifle. What I'm I missing here?

Nothing. I always imagined anything touching the barrel would throw the shot off, similar to a barrel not being free floated.

I think that became an Internet myth when somebody coined the word "harmonics". Probably the same numb nuts that came up with, "node", lol. But is interesting how a stock touching a free float barrel will affect accuracy but not a thumb over the top of it.

I always thought pushing or holding on a barrel would throw off the point of impact, but here's a picture of one of the top shooters in the country doing just that. Has anyone else tried this with good results?

I was just flipping through here and saw this picture of me at the Lonestar Armory match!

This technique is something I've tested to the best of my ability with every barrel contour from M24 to straight taper and the results (for me) are always the same. There is no discernible POI shift with thumb pressure on the barrel either horizontally or vertically. I've tried to simulate low pressure, medium pressure (which I would use in a match), and extremely high pressure. Again - it's outside of my ability to discern a shift or degradation to accuracy.

I had a MPA chassis to test because I like this technique, but I found I prefer the Foundation better and don't need the night vision bridge to avoid a POI shift.

Again - these are my findings and most barricade stages are inside 700 yards. I don't think I'd shoot a 1000 yard KYL rack like this.

I was just flipping through here and saw this picture of me at the Lonestar Armory match!

This technique is something I've tested to the best of my ability with every barrel contour from M24 to straight taper and the results (for me) are always the same. There is no discernible POI shift with thumb pressure on the barrel either horizontally or vertically. I've tried to simulate low pressure, medium pressure (which I would use in a match), and extremely high pressure. Again - it's outside of my ability to discern a shift or degradation to accuracy.

I had a MPA chassis to test because I like this technique, but I found I prefer the Foundation better and don't need the night vision bridge to avoid a POI shift.

Again - these are my findings and most barricade stages are inside 700 yards. I don't think I'd shoot a 1000 yard KYL rack like this.

Thanks for the explanation!

Looks like you’re wearing a coat there so not likely an issue, but summer matches that probably gets pretty hot?

Looks like you’re wearing a coat there so not likely an issue, but summer matches that probably gets pretty hot?

Most shot strings are 10 rounds or less, so barrel heat is not an issue (especially with a straight taper). If you're practicing like that for a while and get things super hot, it will be a problem. I deliberately try to avoid getting my barrels so hot I can't touch them though.