• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Suppresor covers - reliability impact

msromike

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2008
Aurora, CO
I have seen various models of suppressor covers made from materials like nomex, leather, silicone, etc. The stated purpose of these covers is to reduce mirage and allow easy handling of a hot suppressor.

Can these covers effect suppressor reliability by causing the can to exceed design temperature limits for an extended period of time? How bad of a problem is suppressor induced mirage and is it a big enough problem to fork over $50 to solve it?

Mike

Re: Suppresor covers - reliability impact

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: msromike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Can these covers effect suppressor reliability by causing the can to exceed design temperature limits for an extended period of time?</div></div> Yes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: msromike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How bad of a problem is suppressor induced mirage and is it a big enough problem to fork over $50 to solve it?</div></div>
Yes

where to get one or three

Our suppressor covers will not hold enough heat in to damage the can at all. You'll overload the heat dissipation limits of the cover and melt the cover before your can suffers any damage.

We are working on a cover that will be able to withstand rapid semi auto or full auto fire, but it's a fine line you walk in trying to retain heat and holding in so much heat that the can is damaged. The heat shield has to be able to absorb lots of heat yet dissipate the heat before damage is done to the can and cover.

With a scoped precision rifle without a can you'll have mirage problems in as little as 4 to 6 rounds. With the same can under the same conditions but with a cover installed, you'll be ale to fire 30 or more rounds without any mirage problems, and be able to grab the can without burning yourself too.

We've made covers for cans as small as one inch in diameter and five inches long, to 2 5/16 inches in diameter and 26 inches long.

IMHO if your can is destroyed by the cover holding heat in, your can is a POS, I thumped a bunch of 155scenars going 3050fps this last summer, my Shark got hot, and my TAB SAS worked perfectly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO if your can is destroyed by the cover holding heat in, your can is a POS, I thumped a bunch of 155scenars going 3050fps this last summer, my Shark got hot, and my TAB SAS worked perfectly. </div></div>

+1. SAS1 & SAS3 over a 08' Cyclone shooting the same load. It'll get fuckin hot as hell under the cover, but it wont hurt it. TAB covers are where its at.

just ordered 3 form them how long do they usually take to get from them.
thanks for the info

tjonh2001, well, they'll be made a lot quicker if I have all the measurements I need to make the covers.
smile.gif

If you'll send me the rest of the dimensions they'll be shipped out within a week.

Tony is it possible to have one cut back a little, as mine is not velcro and it is a pita to get over the surefire collar?
Thanks

Turk, no it's not possible to "cut one back" The labor involved to take one apart stitch by stitch to modify it will cost more than to just make another cover from scratch, sorry.

I have made covers for guys in your situation that have told me before hand what they're using, all I've done is to have less tension on the SAS2 shock cord to allow then to more easily get it over the lock tab.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

We are working on a cover that will be able to withstand rapid semi auto or full auto fire, but it's a fine line you walk in trying to retain heat and holding in so much heat that the can is damaged. The heat shield has to be able to absorb lots of heat yet dissipate the heat before damage is done to the can and cover.
</div></div>

Any ETA on when those might be going into production?

I recently ordered a SAS-3 for my Cyclone and it works awesome. Ive fired two 10 round strings in rapid succession(within 10 min)with no mirage, whereas before the mirage would creep up at about 5-6 rounds.

Just got my SAS cover. Which end does the lable go on? My lable is on the end with additional material and if I put it on the muzzle end, I'm affraid of a bullet strike.

Let's say you have a bolt-rifle suppressor. You put it on a M240 and fire it continuously until failure. If you put a suppressor cover on, its temperature will rise faster than without. Do you think it would fail sooner or later with the cover installed?

Hot is a relative term. Is 300F hot? 600F, 900? 1200F?

Most people don't like to get their long-range, accurate rifles super hot due to increased barrel wear. A decent rule of thumb is that if you can't grab your barrel and hold it, it might be hotter than you want on a precision rifle. That said, I regularly get my .308, .260, 7RM, and .338 barrels too hot to touch, so much that I can get mirage off simply the barrel itself.

I shoot long-range/precision exclusively with suppressors, and I use only TAB covers. They work great, especially the ones he's adapter per our requests and can design.

I just saw this thread had come up again thanks to Zak making his post.

Goin'Hot, I don't know what model you have, but it will be safe to say that you can't go wrong on any of the models by having the label at the back of the can.

If you have the SAS2 version, which has shock cord in both ends, it doesn't matter which end is toward the back of the can. If you have a SAS1, or SAS3, the label must be at the back of the can to keep the cover from taking a trip down range when recoil works it forward and you shoot it off.

Hey Zak, once again I didn't get to meet you at SHOT. I did get to meet RayDog though. I'm glad he stopped by the booth and talked with us. maybe next year.

The SAS3 is the cover that Zak is referring too when he mentioned the cover I adapted for them. It worked so well that we offer it in our regular line of products now.