• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressed 300 blk destabilizing bullets

Not specifically with that situation, but the exit gas flow behind a bullet that is near the limit for dynamic stability can have an angle of attack induced that is high enough for it to not recover.

AK slant brakes, for example.

How did you check alignment of the can? I have had cans that were far enough out of alignment to really mess up the groups without a baffle strike. POI was significantly of and groups opened way up with can with slight destabilization. Changes muzzle device, all better. That was with 300 BO as well.

Tell us about the load, bullet type etc. more details won’t ever hurt

Berrys 200gr,220gr, speer hot core 200 gr and hornady 195gr eld. All shoot great with out the can. The 195s are promising since they have only marginal keyholes. What is crazy is that the Berrys will completely miss the paper at 25 yards . All loads are between 1000fps and 1050 fps with extreme spreads of only 20fps. I use CFE blk and lil gun. I guess I could turn the gas off at the block and see if that changes anything. Thanks

What is the twist rate of the barrel out of curiosity?

What is the twist rate of the barrel out of curiosity?
I was going to ask this myself. I have a Rattler (1:5) and never had any issues until I used Berry's (plated). I didn't realize until after buying them that they have a disclaimer of not using them in anything faster than 1:7. Worked ok-ish without the can in place, but that defeats the purpose of subs. I never had a baffle strike, but the results on target were sporadically terrible. I was getting chucks of lead and "jacket" (plating) in the bore, chamber, and the blast baffle.

I could be 10 yards from the target and see them curve and keyhole inches from the POA.

Reactions: Clayman
How "new" is the barrel ? Could it be the fresh rifling is imprinting the bullets jackets hard enough to be cutting into them ?

Combine that with a fast twist...

The barrel is new and I conducted a breakdown procedure as if it were a bolt gun. Most subsonic loads shoot 1.5 to 2 moa without the can. I like the theory that one of the other members had . The gasses in the can or as it leaves the can is destabilizing the bullets.

There may be something to this , since the 195 gr eld is only leaving a marginal keyhole. I will speed the round up and see if there is improvement. I will keep posted. Thanks.