• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Suppressed 77/44 elevation help needed

Tackleberry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2005
possumneck, ms
Guys I have a 77/44 that is suppressed with a vortex 4x16x44 scope. The scope has 1/2 MOA adjustments. On the rifle I have a square B weaver base rail mounted in the factory ring lugs. I have Warne low rings on top of that. I am maxed out on elevation now and only sighted in at 40yds. Scope has a dead hold reticle in it and hits even at 100 with second hold over post. Do I need a lower mount to get scope down so I can gain more elevation adjustment? The scope has a 44mm objective and the rifle has a big fat suppressor built in. Thoughts?
Thanks

You might not like my answer, but the same thing happened to me. The problem turned out to be with action. Ruger bored the barrel hole at an angle. I sent it back to Ruger and they tried to recut the ring mount slots to get the scope to more closely match the downward angle of the barrel. It never worked right. I had to shim the scope to get it work.

Eff did you shim like is was a 20 MOA can't on the base? I hate to send a suppressed gun back to them. I'll call my smith Monday to get his thoughts. Thanks for the reply

Hey Tack, is that an SRT intregral???

THere is salvation in a plastic box. PITA, but look at the Burris signature rings with the available offset bushings.... fookin' sweet and they aren't terribly pricey either. They'll fix you problem in a hurry.

Now down to business, have you killed anything with it yet? Some of the 44 special hornady xtp 240's, will blow yo mind. I've got the camp 45 integral counterpart and I love it. I shoulda got the 77/44, because the camp 45 has that shit plastic fire control unit, but it's minute of coyote/hog accurate to 100yds and if you hold your mouth right 125.

Cheers,
breeze

South breeze tell me about the plastic box PITA? I haven't killed with this yet but we have tested the 300 whisper and blackout pretty well. Pigs and deer don't do well with either. We have both of those shooting deacon to 200 yds. I will have this 44 doing the same. I shot at 100 with holdovers and had a 3/4" 3 shot group. I normally sight in at 50 and use turn ups at 25 yd increments to 200 yds. I have found all to be 3 to 4" high at 50 compared to 100 and 4" lower at 125. After that it drops. 200 yds is 27 MOA up!

I just cut some shim stock to get it where i needed it. It did turn out to be about 30 MOA. If you don't get the reticle up into the center of the adjustment range you don't have much windage adjustment.

Sorry Tack, my laptop key board has to many things that make my cursor move around while I'm trying to type ......that's my excuse anyway. The PITA is the plastic trigger housing on my camp..., if'n I do something stoopid and break it, it might just be a boat anchor as there are zero available anymore.

As for the burris rings and the ruger/weaver adapter; they're great. and they'll get you out of a bind without having to shim/lap rings. The offset bushings are the ducks nuts!

Now on the the goods! With Black hills 230grn HP's, 80-85 yards working +4/-4 trajectory.........kinda like directing mortar fire at 200! 200grn HP's (non +p) moved that out to 100 yards. The non +p 185 golden sabers moved that out to 110-115 and with a little holdover to 125yards.

I keep the 185's loaded up now, the speer lead is butter soft and it expands readily upon contact. might be a little light for pigs past a 100 yards. I've recently picked up nikon slug hunter scope to make it easier to shoot past 60 yard without guess work. If can make the circles count for 50, 75, 100 & 125.....or shoot it laser where each hits and scribble that down for dope card.

Here's my baby:
Afewirons.jpg

Your gun is going to be a technical masterpiece, because you'll be able to tweak 44 special loads to really fit your barrel length and maximize the sub-sonic capabilties. But in a pinch you can still grab a box of factory special and be subsonic.

Or better yet, get you some of that 225 grn lever evolution full power ammo and blow their fucking tits off at 200+ without needing earplugs. The integral can is sooo big, it easily traps the full bang ammo blast/fire. So all you get is cracky/squirty/buzzy bullet noise as it breaks the sound barrier. Maybe like a hot 22lr round going down range. It's fookin' hoot. I can't shoot +p's in the camp carbine, friggs up the reciever, but I would if I could!

Good luck with it and post some pix of your whackens!
IMG_8078.jpg

Cheers,
Breeze

Sorry Tack, my laptop key board has to many things that make my cursor move around while I'm trying to type ......that's my excuse anyway. The PITA is the plastic trigger housing on my camp..., if'n I do something stoopid and break it, it might just be a boat anchor as there are zero available anymore.

As for the burris rings and the ruger/weaver adapter; they're great. and they'll get you out of a bind without having to shim/lap rings. The offset bushings are the ducks nuts!

Now on the the goods! With Black hills 230grn HP's, 80-85 yards working +4/-4 trajectory.........kinda like directing mortar fire at 200! 200grn HP's (non +p) moved that out to 100 yards. The non +p 185 golden sabers moved that out to 110-115 and with a little holdover to 125yards.

I keep the 185's loaded up now, the speer lead is butter soft and it expands readily upon contact. might be a little light for pigs past a 100 yards. I've recently picked up nikon slug hunter scope to make it easier to shoot past 60 yard without guess work. If can make the circles count for 50, 75, 100 & 125.....or shoot it laser where each hits and scribble that down for dope card.

Here's my baby:
Afewirons.jpg

Your gun is going to be a technical masterpiece, because you'll be able to tweak 44 special loads to really fit your barrel length and maximize the sub-sonic capabilties. But in a pinch you can still grab a box of factory special and be subsonic.

Or better yet, get you some of that 225 grn lever evolution full power ammo and blow their fucking tits off at 200+ without needing earplugs. The integral can is sooo big, it easily traps the full bang ammo blast/fire. So all you get is cracky/squirty/buzzy bullet noise as it breaks the sound barrier. Maybe like a hot 22lr round going down range. It's fookin' hoot. I can't shoot +p's in the camp carbine, friggs up the reciever, but I would if I could!

Good luck with it and post some pix of your whackens!
IMG_8078.jpg

Cheers,
Breeze

Sorry bout the double post, the comm's are so slow out here it does this sometimes.

I reread your first post and see you already have the adapter rail, so you are laughing. Just get a set of the signature rings and go to town!

Breeze