• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressed AK

Center556

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2018
Southcentral Louisiana
Hey guys, I know there aren’t a tone of AKs mention in this forum but I trust SH opinions more so that other boards.

I’ve got a sandman S I use on a couple ARs and 6.5 bolt guns. I’ve got a newer (‘15) wasr lying around. Caught a wild hair and ordered a 14x1L FH just to see if everything lines up. I know there can be some concentricity issues. But the more I read....am I on a fools errand? Can I luck out and have one that lines up? Haha

I use an Omega on mine. I didnt have a single issue. I bought the thread adapter from CNC warrior (I think) and the Silencerco flash hider.
20151212_162805.jpg
20151106_120828.jpg

I've seen some guys get lucky by doing what @madppcs did and not have issues. I've also seen quite a few destroyed suppressors.

It helps to have a suppressor with a tapered aperture line. At least it gives you a little more margin for error. The threads on the rifle will NOT be perfectly concentric. At least that is a safe assumption. Most newer, quality AKs should have better tolerances, but still not like you'd get having a quality shop thread a barrel.

So, question is how lucky do you feel?

While I think suppressed AKs have a really high cool factor, to me they don't really suppress particularly very well. Just my opinion though.

BTW, really nice looking rifle you have there, madppc!

Best of luck.

Thanks for both replies. I got the flash hider in. It looks fine eye balling it. But I have some more work to do cleaning up the threads and the spot where the weld was. And I’ll find an alignment rod. I know the kind of luck I have. I won’t do anything to jeopardize my can lol.

Hey guys question as for how to proceed. I have a WASR 10 and I'd like to build a can for it. I've read AK's can be problematic with non-concentric threads. So to make sure I don't have an issue buy the 14x1L to 5/8 R thread adapter.....drop my current can on it and check to make sure there is no contact with rod through the can and muzzle?

More inclined to use the Hughes since it has wrench flats:

Last edited:
That would be one way to go. Just make sure you check it twice. The alignment rod was okay on mine initially. But once I put some thread locker and torqued down the muzzle device, the rod was up against the end cap of can.

That would be one way to go. Just make sure you check it twice. The alignment rod was okay on mine initially. But once I put some thread locker and torqued down the muzzle device, the rod was up against the end cap of can.
Nice thanks. So what is the deal if I'm misaligned option wise? Alternatives? Thanks

@Mike Casselton

Hey guys question as for how to proceed. I have a WASR 10 and I'd like to build a can for it. I've read AK's can be problematic with non-concentric threads. So to make sure I don't have an issue buy the 14x1L to 5/8 R thread adapter.....drop my current can on it and check to make sure there is no contact with rod through the can and muzzle?

More inclined to use the Hughes since it has wrench flats:

-
Just cliked on to pick one up for my AK .. ( OUT OF STOCK )

Exact same thing I run with the same set up and it runs flawless.
I’ve also been considering an indexable gas system from KNS precision.
Wow thanks for that.....one of my concerns is running subs through this suppressed as dad is all about the suppressed subs. On my PWS I run supers on the lowest gas setting and for subs have to open it back up to wide open gas to cycle. I guess with most AKs being way overgassed this likely won't be an issue anyway. Fingers crossed....Rob Ski tested several AKs with the Brown Bear subs and his can and they all cycled.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
-
Just cliked on to pick one up for my AK .. ( OUT OF STOCK )

Back about 2 years ago, I couldn't find anyone who made an adapter that I would trust at a good price. They were all north of $50 and anything below $30 looked questionable !! MONTHs of searching and I finally find that KNS had bought the prints from the guy who was making the Best (and bang) for your buck adapters !

If anybody is looking for these, I have 3 I just took off and will sell w/ shipping for $35. In like-new condition... pm me

I forgot to get clarification on this.....so when you locked and torqued......the rod was against the can...what did you do to resolve that problem? You didn't live with it and risk it did you?? Thanks

Haha no I did not. Was happy to change it when I was off center. But not noticeably touch the cap. Too much time went in to getting my suppressors. I actually contacted a few recommended AK smiths to see about cutting and rethreading the muzzle concentrically. Some were very helpful...some were not.

I was basically told that wasr barrels are famous for “sometimes being worse” after you cut them due to the way the bores are reamed. It’s a gamble. I’d rather shoot the wasr for what it is and put the money into a custom built AK in the future.

TLDR I went back to being happy shooting suppressed ARs.

Haha no I did not. Was happy to change it when I was off center. But not noticeably touch the cap. Too much time went in to getting my suppressors. I actually contacted a few recommended AK smiths to see about cutting and rethreading the muzzle concentrically. Some were very helpful...some were not.

I was basically told that wasr barrels are famous for “sometimes being worse” after you cut them due to the way the bores are reamed. It’s a gamble. I’d rather shoot the wasr for what it is and put the money into a custom built AK in the future.

TLDR I went back to being happy shooting suppressed ARs.
I'm sorry man I'm really dense can you please walk this out for me? 'Happy to change it'. What did you do, physical manifestation to the AK....how did you resolve the skewed alignment. You had a smith rework it?

I have two suppressed AKs both using a Sandman S. Mine run fine. However, I did have Rifle Dynamics modify them for suppressor use and check concentricity before I tried shooting them suppressed. They’re actually two of my favorite guns to shoot.

A friend of mine has one that he uses with a SiCo Hybrid. His bore isn’t 100% concentric but the larger bore of the Hybrid gives him enough room not to get baffle strikes.

Reactions: Center556
I hope so too man. A lot of people have NO issues. I was disappointed but wasn’t putting money into it. I’ll have a nice AK one of these days.
Well if the overall build of the WASR is any indication of the muzzle thread quality I may be in luck. The rivets look fantastic all flush, mags fit beautifully, sights and barrel are aligned as well as any rifle I've owned by eye calipers. Shoots as well as my AR's with irons at 50 yards.....so here is to hopin!

Silencerco makes ASR brakes and flash hiders that’s are metric LH thread so if you go that rout no need for an adapter.

Just bumping this in case there are any additional nuggets from you fellers here as I embark on the supprssed AK journey next week. Dad put another request in last night 'dang I really hope we can get a suppressor on the AK what a hoot!'. He's always wanted an AK and I'd love to get this WASR 10 running 'pew pew' subs for him if possible. Before I start slapping adapters on I'm going to take it by a gunsmith I respect and see if he has the proper tools to give me an idea if the muzzle threads *might* play nicely. I figure if it's a disaster he could at least be able to say no way this is not happening forget it or proceed and take a chance. I know I'm gonna suppress a rifle for dad to shoot subs that's his thing.....would be nice to know if the AK is a no go though as I can be working on a different build for him at the same time as Form 1 wait/build.

Thanks for any additional thoughts

Used to have an Arsenal Arms AK that I played with for a bit with my AAC 762SDN6. Never had any issues. Took it to a smith in FL, that was known for his AK work, and had him cut the barrel down, thread it, and weld on the 51T mount so it was legal.
I actually used the 51T BattleComp with it and it was pretty damn sweet suppressed and unsuppressed.
I went this route just to be safe about any possible concentricity issues.

Hey I'm in Tampa....would you happen to recall that fellers name please? With the way my week is going he will be located as far as possible from me and still be located in FL......but maybe I get lucky and he's around the bend. If there is one thing Tampa doesn't have an oversupply of it's competent gunsmiths.....you'd shart if you saw some of the things that come out of the big name places here it's staggering. Thanks

I just did a googles for 'FL gunsmith AK47' and this guy came up in Lakeland is this him? Shoot that's 45 minutes tops!

Hey I'm in Tampa....would you happen to recall that fellers name please? With the way my week is going he will be located as far as possible from me and still be located in FL......but maybe I get lucky and he's around the bend. If there is one thing Tampa doesn't have an oversupply of it's competent gunsmiths.....you'd shart if you saw some of the things that come out of the big name places here it's staggering. Thanks
Too easy, that’s where I was as well lol. This was back in like 2012 so no idea if he’s still in business. I just looked in the safe to see if I still had the receipt for the work in the file but I must have tossed it.

Dude Tampa Bay is a shit show when it comes to shops. The exception being SRT Supply (haven’t been in years, back when they were Appt only and out of the warehouse) and Cracker Boys (smaller and very friendly shop).
Good luck man 🍻

789670B9-E4B4-433D-B7F6-5253C52EBC1B.png

I just did a googles for 'FL gunsmith AK47' and this guy came up in Lakeland is this him? Shoot that's 45 minutes tops!

That’s not him but I’d give it a shot.

Awesome thanks! So...Cody is the guy you used for your AK? Not the link put up right? Appreciate it!

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Yea Cody is the guy I went through.
Yeah it was weird I talked to him and he said the only way to do it is to replace the barrel with an American made barrel shoot I may as well build one from scratch with the cost of that whole process. He said chopping off an inch and rethreading wouldn't do anything for it? Any way over my pay grade but I may check with these guys in Lakeland

Yeah it was weird I talked to him and he said the only way to do it is to replace the barrel with an American made barrel shoot I may as well build one from scratch with the cost of that whole process. He said chopping off an inch and rethreading wouldn't do anything for it? Any way over my pay grade but I may check with these guys in Lakeland
Hmm. It was 8 years ago so maybe it was the only time he did it? No idea. The pic is kind of a bad angle but here’s a pic. He did the barrel cut/thread/mount plus the new front sight block.
I hope the Lakeland guys can take care of ya.

Attachments

• 6A8022E7-548D-461C-92DE-AB0F93A68170.png
    6A8022E7-548D-461C-92DE-AB0F93A68170.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 126
replace the barrel with an American made barrel shoot I may as well build one from scratch with the cost of that whole process

That’s what I was told by several smiths when I wasn’t comfortable with how the rod fell. That’s why I decided to put the money towards a custom AK when the time is right. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That’s what I was told by several smiths when I wasn’t comfortable with how the rod fell. That’s why I decided to put the money towards a custom AK when the time is right. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Well shoot I'm torn.....I've got the guy from Lewman Arms I spoke with late Friday and he said no problem he can pull the barrel and rethread muzzle and it will be good to go 100%. I'm going to go by with the AK this week he's only 45 minutes away so worth a trip to see his operation and see his work. Dad SO wants a can on this thing really want to exhaust all my options b/f pulling plug on it. Thanks all for the input....center556 will let you know how it goes over there and progress on it if I go that route.

Last edited:
Reactions: M8541Reaper
I know how to do it without rethreading , you need to modify a flash hider. Cut flash hider and bend accordingly to line up to rod in barrel and reweld. Then time it properly to barrel stop pin. Hillbilly backyard job, but it works.