• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressed load development question

The Zebra

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2010
Louisiana
First off, I know to always do your load development sans suppressor to avoid a baffle strike, check for round holes, yada yada yada...I know...My ultimate question here would be: Does adding the suppressor change the "node" of the barrel?

I am about to start some load development for a 308 rifle. I've developed loads for many guns before but this will be my first time trying the ladder test. Would adding the suppressor change the "sweet spot" due to the added weight on the end of the barrel? The rifle in question will be shot almost 100% suppressed so I want a load that will reflect that. If I am shooting 175 SMK's and I know that my 1:10 Kreiger will stabilize them, should I do the test with the can? Should I do it without first and then with to compare the results?

Does anybody have experience with such a project? Want to offer some insight?

I say maybe. It's just dynamics of deformable bodies. A MTU contour barrel and a titanium can shouldn't change much. I think you need to do OCW for both.